Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hybrid cars- anyone have one?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Hybrid cars- anyone have one?
Reply #150 on: August 08, 2023, 12:24:52 PM
That is pretty sweet.

There is an F-150 Lighting for sale at my local Ford dealership that I am strongly tempted by, but it wasn't long ago that you could buy a house here for what's on the sticker.

I guess I will have to keep buying dinosaur juice for my Jeep for another couple of years.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #151 on: August 09, 2023, 06:15:38 AM
It wasn't long ago that you could buy a house here for what's on the sticker.
If you don't mind going small, you could probably still get a house for less than some brand-new trucks. (That price excludes the land, of course.) Prices of new trucks have gotten absolutely insane. I'll never own one.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #152 on: August 09, 2023, 09:01:13 AM
With the EU Net Zero policy targets for 2050 and related incentives (carrot and stick method) there is, at least here, widespread adoption/installation of photovoltaic cells in homes, for electricity production. That is a fact.

Now, tosimplify/summarise the whole process/programme, when houses are producing more electricity than they consume it should be / is possible to charge your car for free (using that excess electricity you are supplying to the grid), giving a strong incentive for having an electric vehicle, as the fuel cost will be zero.

Well, unless you are not producing that much more, or the money you get back for the excess electricity you supply are more than what you could save by using it to charge/own/buy a new car, so it may be better to sell it and keep your old car.

This is intentionally oversimplified, by me, as the electricity you can produce, the money you save or make and so on can vary, but it shows the current way forward, for many people, at least in their minds.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #153 on: August 16, 2023, 01:32:02 AM
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/man-forced-ditch-115k-ford-ev-truck-family-road-trip-chicago-biggest-scam-modern-times.amp

I’m afraid “biggest scam of modern times” pretty much sums up my opinion of EVs as well.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #154 on: August 16, 2023, 05:22:29 AM
I guess the experiences vary. We've had an EV for some time now, and the experience is quite good. It was more car for the money when we bought it, the running expenses is a fraction of the gasoline cars, and it drives great both summer and winter. No regrets whatsoever for our use - quite the opposite.

We didn't buy it from an environmentalist perspective but from a need, car characteristics and economy viewpoint. Gasoline and diesel cars were considered too. We'd make the same choice again for our use.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #155 on: August 16, 2023, 05:30:40 PM
What's a real scam is the Irish government subsidising petrol (gasoline) to the point that it's cheaper than the electricity now.  :rant: :facepalm:
That makes zero sense, homes need electricity too!
Electricity is 40 euro cents per kWh, if anyone's interested. That's 43 US cents per kWh. ::)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #156 on: August 16, 2023, 05:40:39 PM
With the EU Net Zero policy targets for 2050 and related incentives (carrot and stick method) there is, at least here, widespread adoption/installation of photovoltaic cells in homes, for electricity production. That is a fact.

Now, tosimplify/summarise the whole process/programme, when houses are producing more electricity than they consume it should be / is possible to charge your car for free (using that excess electricity you are supplying to the grid), giving a strong incentive for having an electric vehicle, as the fuel cost will be zero.

Well, unless you are not producing that much more, or the money you get back for the excess electricity you supply are more than what you could save by using it to charge/own/buy a new car, so it may be better to sell it and keep your old car.

This is intentionally oversimplified, by me, as the electricity you can produce, the money you save or make and so on can vary, but it shows the current way forward, for many people, at least in their minds.
The main issue here is the energy output of the panels not coinciding when you need the energy...

But that's what the grid is useful for, you give energy when you don't need it and receive energy when you do need it. :)
Europe is in an interesting position where we have the incentive and ability to upgrade individual countries grids to make a "supergrid" which carries electricity across countries according to regional demand and weather-induced supply. That would be cool. America with its individual widespread states are also in a position to do this.

What's also cool is that with an EV future comes a means to store energy on a national scale with a decentralised system. Draw electricity out of the car when there is a deficit or demand spike and recharge it when there is a surplus or slump. The Nissan Leaf and Ford EV truck already support bidirectional charging, it's feasible and just needs appropriate incentives... It's expensive to keep power plants on idle 24/7 waiting for 5pm when there's a spike in usage as everyone comes home, this could alleviate that.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #157 on: August 17, 2023, 03:43:29 PM
I was at the gas station filling up when a EV pulls into the stall next to me.   :think:.  I was confused as to why since air and water are in a different area.  He gets out his car and a long pause.   He then gets back into his car and drives off  :dunno:

Must have still been sleepy and thought he was in another car of his? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #158 on: August 18, 2023, 01:17:42 AM
  Aloha.

Okay, the guy in the story below is an idiot, but it does point out the obvious problems with pure EVs.

https://tinyurl.com/bdhssf24

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #159 on: August 18, 2023, 05:01:07 AM
We have experienced the opposite variation of Aloha - non-EV cars parked in front of the chargers, and of course not charging either. I can only assume they consider it free parking until the day they get towed away.

Okay, the guy in the story below is an idiot, but it does point out the obvious problems with pure EVs.

I believe that should be qualified as a regional/ country problem with charging infrastructure. The longest trip we have driven so far was roughly 1200 miles and that wasn't an issue at all. We charged while eating or sleeping.

As for the bumper it seems to me that isn't an EV related issue at all as a bumper fix hardly has anything to do with the cars drivetrain? Our car got bumped while parked and the insurance company treated it like any other bump at a normal car repair facility. The week after it spent a day getting fixed and that was it.

The bumper issue reminds me of a relative that has been in an EV once and he thought it had horrible suspension. From there he made the generalization that all EVs have horrible suspensions, and he will surely never ride one again. Again not really an EV issue as such, but more likely an issue with that specific car, model or brand.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #160 on: August 19, 2023, 01:34:01 AM
(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)  Aloha.

https://tinyurl.com/bdhssf24

I am familiar with that guy's story.  He actually didn't have a problem until he crossed into the US, which is an important distinction.

The Federal Government of Canada has invested heavily in electric infrastructure and you see them 8n a lot of places, interestingly not only at gas stations, but also at businesses and even in parks.  There are charging stations almost everywhere, and the rates to tend to be (more or less) regulated.

In the US charging points are all privately owned, and service providers can put them wherever they want and charge as much as they like.  Because of this, the quality and condition of the chargers are a little more haphazard as they are dependant on companies or individuals to maintain and put up.  With relatively small incentives, providers tend to charge higher prices to recoup the greater investment they have in the units.

I also think Bala is a bit of a prima donna, looking for media attention to make himself feel special.  This is probably why the dealer took so long to fix the truck- they likely didn't want to deal with him.

Youtube Channel The Fast Lane put a Camper on the back of a Ford Lightning and drove from Colorado to Alaska without so many problems that they had to rent an ICE vehicle.

Great series if you are up for it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #161 on: August 19, 2023, 02:44:25 PM
By now I've tried dragging modest hangers after the EV car a few times. The main issue is the added air resistance, so high closed hangers are more difficult. A hanger does make a significant impact - by now I would expect 25% to 40% reduction in range with a hanger. Likely even worse in winter.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #162 on: August 24, 2023, 01:43:43 PM
By now I've tried dragging modest hangers after the EV car a few times. The main issue is the added air resistance, so high closed hangers are more difficult. A hanger does make a significant impact - by now I would expect 25% to 40% reduction in range with a hanger. Likely even worse in winter.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "hanger" ?   
From the context it sounds like some kind of trailer, but I honestly have never heard of a trailer being called a hanger.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #163 on: August 24, 2023, 06:32:45 PM
Greg, you guessed right  :tu: Different countries, different names - in germany it would be an "anhänger".   :facepalm:

And a trailer is a short movie clip teaser ...  :ahhh
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #164 on: August 25, 2023, 12:40:01 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "hanger" ?   
From the context it sounds like some kind of trailer, but I honestly have never heard of a trailer being called a hanger.

Well, pardon my english I guess?  :D The combination of English and Norwegian, the infamous Noenglish, sometimes gets the better of me. (A trailer around here would be considered something the size of a 20" shipping container and upwards).

(If you're male and get invited to a Norwegian party which says you should wear a dress then you likely want to check for Noenglish too... ).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #165 on: August 25, 2023, 01:59:24 PM
Greg, you guessed right  :tu: Different countries, different names - in germany it would be an "anhänger".   :facepalm:

And a trailer is a short movie clip teaser ...  :ahhh

Here in Canada a movie trailer is called a trailer as well- but then so is the motor less vehicle pulled behind a car, at least depending on what kind of anhänger it is.

For example, a trailer you can sleep in is called a Camper, one what folks in the UK call a caravan.  For us a caravan is how gypsies and traveling entertainers get around.

I've never heard of a trailer being called a hanger, but I think I like it and may start to use it to confuse people around here!  :D

Def

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #166 on: August 25, 2023, 03:49:56 PM
I've never heard of a trailer being called a hanger, but I think I like it and may start to use it to confuse people around here!  :D

Def

I'm making an impact on the English language!  ::) I also lay claim to "coinsequence" - a coincidental consequence. That confuses people too it seems.  :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #167 on: August 28, 2023, 01:20:02 PM
Nice hangers Grant........

:)   :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%