Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKWC: Safety, Cleanliness and Supplies

us Offline GrandpaPatch

SAKWC: Safety, Cleanliness and Supplies
on: November 10, 2018, 05:34:12 AM
Safety, Cleanliness and Supplies:
This is not a required item, but highly recommended. With the differing 'cuts' of whittling and the funny angles that you need to get into, it is a good possibility that you will be thankful that you are wearing these. Here is a link to Amazon for the NoCry Cut Resistant Protective Work Glove with Rubber Grip Dots. You also want to make sure that you are using the sharpest blade(s) possible. The easier it cuts, the less likely you are to 'force it' or apply to much pressure and that increases your chance of not having a cut 'get away' from you and injuring yourself.

Again optional, but not wanting to upset the woman of the house I put together this little hook setup, so that I could use a towel as an apron. If you are married or with someone then I’m sure you have heard the old saying about ‘A happy wife is a happy life.” that saying can also be reversed to read  as ‘A miserable wife is a miserable life.”..

Underneath me, but still covering the seat area of my chair, is a sheet that covers that drapes down and under my feet covering the immediate area. That way there isn’t a loose flier piece that gets onto HER carpet.

Once I had the basic safety and cleanliness issues taken care of I moved on the getting some supplies to set up my basic whittling kit. That started with getting a new Hiker SAK, Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Whittling Book, sandpaper, Linseed Oil and a clear coat spray to apply once my projects were finished.

The sandpaper came in a 6pk, which was 2 sheets of each grit of 80, 150 and 220. This sheet were 9”x11”. I cut them into thirds lengthwise (3 strips of 3” ea. per sheet). And then further cut each strip in half giving me a total of 12x each grit of sandpaper.

I have taken care of the small stuff, so now I just need to start a project. As can be seen in the photos, I have already started on my first project but that will be another post.

The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: SAKWC: Safety, Cleanliness and Supplies
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 05:02:51 PM
Good idea with the gloves  :like:
I will have to get a pair for the missus
As she always cuts her hands when
cutting back plants in the garden  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 05:04:41 PM
Look forward to see your project  :tu: :popcorn:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 06:48:40 PM
good!
Only thing I'd change, many people prefer the Recruit for whittling and extended woodwork
the Recruit has no backside tools or springs to pinch or hurt your hand in prolonged pulling, twisting and handling  :hatsoff:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:17:15 PM
good!
Only thing I'd change, many people prefer the Recruit for whittling and extended woodwork
the Recruit has no backside tools or springs to pinch or hurt your hand in prolonged pulling, twisting and handling  :hatsoff:

Grandpa Patch has the gloves to save his hands, and he NEEDS that corkscrew so the nagging don't bother him.  :pok:  :D  :whistle:  :climber:
just a tired old Multi-fool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD