Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

<---waiting for arrest any minute now.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
<---waiting for arrest any minute now.
on: November 13, 2018, 11:45:18 PM
This is a new one on me...and I had to laugh.

Got home today and noticed a message was left on my cell phone. I jump through the usual hoops to hear it out. I tend to use the speaker function so I don't have to mash my ear with my not so ergonomic brick phone  I hear a male robotic voice telling me that I need to right now, phone some 333 blah blah blah phone number...and if I don't...a police warrant will be issued for my arrest! I broke down laughing at that one. I quickly erased that hilarious smurf off my phone.

Now that is a new one on me. Do folks fall for this scamming crap?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Re: <---waiting for arrest any minute now.
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:14:51 AM
I got a very similar voice-mail, Chako. Pretty sure it's legit, because they used very official-sounding phrasing like "the local cops."
 Guess I'll see you in jail  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:36:31 AM
Now I'm waiting for the robotic automatic message to demand the bail to get Chako released from custody....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:45:15 AM
Do folks fall for this scamming crap?

It only takes 1 in 100 or 1 in 1,000 to make it worth their effort.  Heck 1 in 10,000 is probably a money maker for them.

us Offline MTFool

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 12:53:00 AM
I wish they would call me. I need a vacation away from work and the family. :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 01:07:43 AM
I had a similar call about an Internal Revenue Service issue. I'm expecting to be picked up at any moment.

Oh, Agent Fox, if you are reading this, I like to take a nap between 1400 and 1500. Please schedule my arrest for sometime after 1500.

And, yes, I do nap with a loaded .45 under my pillow..........  :cheers:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 01:16:01 AM
Evidently they get you to send Apple Gift Cards to them to call off the dogs.

Lord knows the authorities live for those gift cards! :facepalm:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 01:56:28 AM
I haven't changed my cell number since I moved back to Alabama from NYC. I lived in a Hispanic neighborhood in Brooklyn, so every phish-call I get is in robo-Spanish. :rofl:
I used to have all of it blocked, but my cell company did away with the $1 block-all-you-want program. But, I'm not complaining, it's only once or twice a week, unless it is election season, then I get two calls a day. All in robo-Spanish. :whistle:

I guess I'll be going to jail too, Chako. Since I can't understand what the calls say. :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 03:26:10 AM
I'm not worried about getting arrested. Not at all.  I'm going to get so much money from that Nigerian banker's widow that I should be able to hire a really good lawyer. :woohoo:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 03:51:00 AM
Chako, if you got arrested, the criminals would complain that you're hurting property values in the whole block. :P
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 04:25:24 AM
 :rofl:

I think I should ask for a larger cell...it seems it might get a bit crowded with all of us in there.  :D

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 04:31:56 AM
After the third time I got that message, I called them back and identified myself as being FBI. They hung up and never called me again.  :pok:  :D
just a tired old Multi-fool

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 01:33:29 PM
After the third time I got that message, I called them back and identified myself as being FBI. They hung up and never called me again.  :pok:  :D
:rofl: :rofl: good one Dan :rofl: :rofl: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 07:22:58 PM
These calls used to amuse me, but as I get 5-6 of them a day, it gets really smurfing old really smurfing fast.

:facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 07:48:06 PM
Haven't got any calls yet, but I did get an invite to the Illuminati couple times by e-mail...

I think they're onto me, must disappear immediately...
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 08:08:09 PM
These calls used to amuse me, but as I get 5-6 of them a day, it gets really smurfing old really smurfing fast.

Def

This used to be a real problem for me but I finally got my belly full. I guess I should not admit to this but now when I get these calls and there is a human on the other end I get just down right nasty with them. If it is a recording I just hang up, if it is a computer generated call I wait to see if it is a recording or human, and go by the afore mentioned rule.
I guess you might say I am terrible, but at least I don't get that many calls anymore. ............... :dunno:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 08:29:10 PM
My partner keeps on getting texts for cash loans  ???
It’s driving her mad :ahhh
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 09:06:55 PM

Def

This used to be a real problem for me but I finally got my belly full. I guess I should not admit to this but now when I get these calls and there is a human on the other end I get just down right nasty with them. If it is a recording I just hang up, if it is a computer generated call I wait to see if it is a recording or human, and go by the afore mentioned rule.
I guess you might say I am terrible, but at least I don't get that many calls anymore. ............... :dunno:

I swear, I have half the phone numbers on the planet blocked by now, because they keep calling from new ones.   :facepalm:

The worst part is that my voicemail is on the server, and the calls are blocked at the phone level, so blocking calls just bounces them back to voicemail, and so now once a day I have to delete a half dozen voice mails.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 10:15:45 PM
I got one awhile back from the IRS police and kept it in my message file. Called the number back and got someone who spoke less than perfect English and the background noise sounded like he was in a factory. Tried to teach him a few new words of English profanity but alas he knew them all and spit them right back at me and added a few of his own. I let him rant on for a couple minutes and then said:"Keep talking fool;I got it all on tape and my next call is to the FBI" He hung up and I have yet to receive another one.
There is a number you can call to report this(I asked at the local police station)and a website as well. I'll have to get it and post it here for whatever good it will do. Actually I found it kind of amusing as my profanity vocabulary was infinitely better than his.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 12:04:55 AM
One of my roommates back at my old apartment was one of those people who made promotional calls. She was constantly stressed out and hated the job, because of how nasty some people got with her on the phone. She eventually quit the job for that reason.
I understand the desire to give them a good cussing out, but I now just hang up the phone when I get calls where it is a person calling. It was crazy to see my roommate so psychologically stressed from that job. :(

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 12:18:19 AM
I guess I got lucky. My home phone number has been unlisted forever due to an error on the phonebook folks. I never answer an unknown number and over time I no longer get any junk phone calls. This one was on my cell.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24