Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone else banned from Candlepower for no reason?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Anyone else banned from Candlepower for no reason?
Reply #30 on: November 22, 2018, 08:48:26 PM
I used to be a regular on this forum, but hardly post here anymore.

Sometimes when I post a question, I get jumped on by the mods for not searching the forum as the question has been asked before.

Yet, there seemed to be other members that did the same and everything was ok, mods never said a thing to them.

The "have you used the search" thing never made much sense to me. I mean, aren't new posts what make forums go round  :dunno:

I see that on almost every forum to some degree except here. Some (cough...CPF...cough  :whistle:) are worse than others. "Didn't you use the search? Someone asked that same question 12 years ago!"
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 22, 2018, 09:09:40 PM

Sometimes when I post a question, I get jumped on by the mods for not searching the forum as the question has been asked before.

Yet, there seemed to be other members that did the same and everything was ok, mods never said a thing to them.

The "have you used the search" thing never made much sense to me. I mean, aren't new posts what make forums go round  :dunno:

I see that on almost every forum to some degree except here. Some (cough...CPF...cough  :whistle:) are worse than others. "Didn't you use the search? Someone asked that same question 12 years ago!"

:iagree: Exactly, can you imagine someone saying something similar during a conversation? You just wouldn't, would you... If you did, you'd be a right arsehole.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: November 22, 2018, 09:14:00 PM

:iagree: Exactly, can you imagine someone saying something similar during a conversation? You just wouldn't, would you... If you did, you'd be a right arsehole.

Look fuzzy, you can't just go around asking questions.   :twak:   You've been warned.   :watching:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #33 on: November 22, 2018, 09:16:39 PM
 :rofl:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: November 22, 2018, 09:23:45 PM
:facepalm:   :rofl:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #35 on: November 22, 2018, 09:27:02 PM

Look fuzzy, you can't just go around asking questions.   :twak:   You've been warned.   :watching:

Look zoidy... lucky for you I'm a complete coward, with no backbone or stomach for confrontation... so... sorry, my mistake.  :2tu:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #36 on: November 22, 2018, 09:29:25 PM
It must seem to others right now that zoidy's got a serious case of schizophrenia?!  :think:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: November 22, 2018, 09:34:49 PM
It must seem to others right now that zoidy's got a serious case of schizophrenia?!  :think:

Where is mags?   :think:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: November 22, 2018, 09:34:55 PM
Have you tried the search function?! :twak:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #39 on: November 22, 2018, 09:58:35 PM

Have you used the search?

:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: November 22, 2018, 10:00:24 PM

I'm glad someone got the double irony.   :clap:

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 22, 2018, 10:14:59 PM
I got banned recently from a bushcraft forum. Everything was fine for about 4 months. I posted about something and another member told me I was wrong about it. I posted the proof of what I said and asked him not to reply if he doesn't know for sure.
Hey, how was I supposed to know one of the mods was his brother. I was banned for arguing with another member. 

So people have different opinions / knowledge (in life!!)  .....  People discuss things .....  If their opinions differ sometimes they argue  ..... 
Forums are for discussing things and sharing information  ..... Right ? ???

So basically you got banned for doing something on a forum - That is one of its sole reasons for existence ?  ???

Hmmm - Or maybe there is more to this story - Were you rude?   ;)    :o   ???  Doesn't sound like it !!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 11:02:20 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #42 on: November 22, 2018, 10:43:11 PM

I'm glad someone got the double irony.   :clap:

:hatsoff:

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #43 on: November 22, 2018, 10:51:29 PM
I got banned recently from a bushcraft forum. Everything was fine for about 4 months. I posted about something and another member told me I was wrong about it. I posted the proof of what I said and asked him not to reply if he doesn't know for sure.
Hey, how was I supposed to know one of the mods was his brother. I was banned for arguing with another member. 

So people have different opinions / knowledge (in life!!)  .....  People discuss things .....  If their opinions differ sometimes they argue  .....  Forums are for discussing things ..... Right ? ???

So basically you got banned for doing something on a forum - That is one of its sole reasons for existence ?  ???

Hmmm - Or maybe there is more to this story - Were you rude?   ;)    :o   ???  Doesn't sound like it !!

Providing accurate information that is 'against the grain' will usually ruffle feathers. Providing proof that your information in accurate just flat out pisses people off.
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #44 on: November 22, 2018, 11:16:39 PM

That seems to pretty much sum it up.  A forum without new posts isn't much of a forum.

In my opinion anyway...  but then maybe we are doing it wrong here.   :think:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #45 on: November 22, 2018, 11:17:59 PM
I have never been banned from a forum, but my thought train keeps me from getting so involved that I get angry. If I provide concise information and observations, and the person I'm chatting with still wants to argue the point, I simply walk away before it is heated. Strong-subject topics tend to only serve to ruffle feathers and upset people. Nobody is changing anyone's mind on strong-subject topics on internet forums, so it isn't worth wasting time if a cogent argument isn't accepted by someone. It's actually rather simple. Don't harp on strong-subject topics, walk away instead of escalating and don't let your disagreements spill over into other places. It's not worth the time and/or emotional distress.

Edit:
As far as people responding to new posts with "did you do a search", I usually just go about it by restating my thoughts and/or knowledge of the topic if I can. My time isn't so important that I need to tell a new member to "go do a search." That's a bit crass and unnecessary. :ahhh
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 11:21:59 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #46 on: November 22, 2018, 11:22:25 PM

That seems to pretty much sum it up.  A forum without new posts isn't much of a forum.

In my opinion anyway...  but then maybe we are doing it wrong here.   :think:

Def

How can it be wrong when it feels so right?  :o ;)

Seriously though, its just another part of the friendly and laid back atmosphere that makes me stick around here.  :cheers:

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #47 on: November 23, 2018, 12:14:57 AM
There's always a reason for getting banned from a forum.  You may never find out the reason or agree with the reason if you do, but there's always a reason.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #48 on: November 23, 2018, 11:40:20 AM

So people have different opinions / knowledge (in life!!)  .....  People discuss things .....  If their opinions differ sometimes they argue  .....  Forums are for discussing things ..... Right ? ???

Providing accurate information that is 'against the grain' will usually ruffle feathers. Providing proof that your information in accurate just flat out pisses people off.

Do you have any evidence to back that up?!

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: November 23, 2018, 12:31:43 PM

I do!

I got in trouble on a Facebook page about SAKs when I said that a Victorinox Economy scale is NOT an "Old Shield SAK".  I backed up my statement with a pic of a 1920's SAK, which had the shield as we most know it.
I added that it was just a print on shield, made for their cheaper line of knives in the 80's.

People felt kicked in the heels and all hell broke loose...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 12:34:12 PM

I do!

I got in trouble on a Facebook page about SAKs when I said that a Victorinox Economy scale is NOT an "Old Shield SAK".  I backed up my statement with a pic of a 1920's SAK, which had the shield as we most know it.
I added that it was just a print on shield, made for their cheaper line of knives in the 80's.

People felt kicked in the heels and all hell broke loose...
I would have liked to have seen that....
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: November 23, 2018, 12:40:48 PM
I still feel as if I provided correct intel.
Yet, they wanted to be left in their ignorance and suddenly learned that their "high value vintage SAK" is actualy a cheaper line.
Maybe they got hurt the most by falling from their pink cloud.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #52 on: November 23, 2018, 02:39:37 PM
I still feel as if I provided correct intel.
Yet, they wanted to be left in their ignorance and suddenly learned that their "high value vintage SAK" is actualy a cheaper line.
Maybe they got hurt the most by falling from their pink cloud.

:rofl:

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #53 on: November 24, 2018, 12:04:57 AM

I know first hand how correct Grandpa is, some older members wont stand for being corrected.
just a tired old Multi-fool

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #54 on: November 24, 2018, 09:26:17 AM

I know first hand how correct Grandpa is, some older members wont stand for being corrected.

Hafto disagree, that is most certainly not true...

...not around here, anyways  :)

One thing I really, really don't get is the part about posts being approved before appearing on a board (and people accepting this practice). I can see why some might think that's appropriate but I'd much prefer seeing a message saying a post was edited/moderated/doctored/adulterated/deleted by that mod/admin due to this or that reason instead of having it flat out rejected.

This  sort of censorship is something some newspaper's editor-in-chief would do or some illiberal regime's inquisitors.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #55 on: November 29, 2018, 08:05:18 AM
This is really the only forum I ever joined that's tool related. I was on a comic book forum in my teen years, and you wouldn't believe how hard a grown man will argue with a kid over whether or not Spiderman could beat Batman!  :facepalm: I mean it's Spidermans victory every day of the week, naturally.  :whistle:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: November 29, 2018, 10:27:47 AM
Been a long time CPF member, used to post a lot, made tutorials on there etc.
Then got told of buy a mod for using a naughty word once, a word used everyday here in the UK, but in the US it is a bad word to use according to the mod. I tried to enter into some kind of text about what other words are there I shouldn't use? and being an international forum not a US forum they might not want to be so heavy handed on such details........ :oops:

That didn't go down well at all.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #57 on: November 29, 2018, 12:24:46 PM
This is really the only forum I ever joined that's tool related. I was on a comic book forum in my teen years, and you wouldn't believe how hard a grown man will argue with a kid over whether or not Spiderman could beat Batman!  :facepalm: I mean it's Spidermans victory every day of the week, naturally.  :whistle:

Really?!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Show content

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: November 29, 2018, 03:43:59 PM

Really?!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Show content

:salute:

The definition of insanity is, when you do something over and over again and expect a different outcome...
Batman puts the Joker into Arkham... every time.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #59 on: November 29, 2018, 04:06:27 PM
Been a long time CPF member, used to post a lot, made tutorials on there etc.
Then got told of buy a mod for using a naughty word once, a word used everyday here in the UK, but in the US it is a bad word to use according to the mod. I tried to enter into some kind of text about what other words are there I shouldn't use? and being an international forum not a US forum they might not want to be so heavy handed on such details........ :oops:

That didn't go down well at all.

There's a certain word that's used pretty lightly in the UK that's basically the most severe swear word in the US.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%