Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

G shock VS Ironman Battle of the titans!

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
G shock VS Ironman Battle of the titans!
on: June 03, 2018, 09:58:41 PM
Hey all,

I've never done a watch review before, and thought this would be a good start. While, I was in bootcamp, I found myself wanting a watch with an alarm, as they had us standing watch at all hours of the night  :D. I had heard a lot of good things about the Ironman, So I bought one the first chance I got. Absoulutely love it, it still tags along as my main work watch so I don't destroy my Wenger. I noticed most of my shipmates either had Ironman watches, or Casio Gshocks, So I decided to go head to head with these two to see which one I liked better. Of the two, the Casio seems more durable, and has some extra features the Ironman lacks, like a daylight savings time feature and more alarms. The Ironman has a much better indiglo display than the Gshock's which isn't that good, as it only illuminates the watch hands, and none of the other features at night. I also found the Gshock to be a bit bulky, as opposed to the Ironman's more low profile. Bot are great watches of legendary reputation, but if I had to pick between the two, I would have to chose the classic ironman. Which would you go with, as I know we have a lot of fans of both watches on this thread :cheers:
0603181501.jpg
* 0603181501.jpg (Filesize: 168.42 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: G shock VS Ironman Battle of the titans!
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 10:45:52 PM
I've been Team Ironman for years. They are hard use watches that are highly dependable. 40 bucks for it. Last years.  I've looked over some higher end G shocks but they started getting into pricey territory to where I'd be afraid to scratch it at work.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 11:43:06 PM
I wore Ironman watch for years.  It was the orange and black one.  If I am recalling correctly I was replacing the band/strap a lot.  Finally the area where the watch pin seats, gave out so I tossed the watch.  My G shocks have been bullet proof so far.  I like the solar feature on the one I'm currently wearing.  I do miss the timer on this model but I have a few I rotate so not a huge deal. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 01:00:53 AM
It's amazing how popular these two watches are! Like I said, Almost everyone I know either has a Gshock, or an Iron man. Here are my three watches I rotate through throughout the week. While I'm working I either wear the G shock or the Iron man, and when I go off duty, I switch to my ever faithful Wenger Seaforce, the nicest watch I've ever owned. I actually bought these two "Work watches" so I wouldn't destroy my Wenger, as it was a gift, and I didn't want it getting ruined.
Send In the spartans

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 07:49:27 AM
G shock is tuffer but Timex menus are always very intuitive.

I have several g-shocks and they all seem to have totally different, unrelated and complicated menus..

I have a few Timex, and I can figure out/remember how the menu works in seconds.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 11:57:16 AM
Right now I'm loving my G-Shock ana-digi (GB 800). I don't think I'll ever go for a Timex as they don't have an analog-digital model that I like, aesthetics wise.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 01:48:05 AM
Seems to me like these two beasts are about neck and neck in this faceoff. We've got fans on both sides! Big G Vs. Iron master.
Send In the spartans

Offline maverick88

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:23:41 PM
I wear an Ironman for work and I love it, previous was a Casio gulfman, the reason I love the ironman is the alarm is a lot louder than a Casio and I can hear the alarm over a truck engine, occasion alarm is also great, it just has enough features and is slim. Granted it's not as tough as a gshock but mine takes a beating and still going strong after 3 years.
15305593936891484480346435719610.jpg
* 15305593936891484480346435719610.jpg (Filesize: 181.43 KB)

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 03:58:29 AM
I wear an Ironman for work and I love it, previous was a Casio gulfman, the reason I love the ironman is the alarm is a lot louder than a Casio and I can hear the alarm over a truck engine, occasion alarm is also great, it just has enough features and is slim. Granted it's not as tough as a gshock but mine takes a beating and still going strong after 3 years.

Nice one maverick88! I've found that to be the case with mine too. I prefer the ironman's alarm over the Gshock's, as I rely on it as my backup alarm clock, and it has yet to let me down :like: :like:
0703181623b.jpg
* 0703181623b.jpg (Filesize: 151.07 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Iron Man 2

• I'm Iron Man☺😎
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 04:10:09 AM
Love the name. :like:
Hello Beastie.

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 04:39:52 AM
Nice review from an old school Iron man wearer :D
Barry

us Offline Iron Man 2

• I'm Iron Man☺😎
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 06:13:39 PM
Love the G-Shock. :) :tu:
Hello Beastie.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 11:43:45 PM
Love the G-Shock. :) :tu:
Nice review from an old school Iron man wearer :D
[/quote

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
Send In the spartans

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 02:07:43 AM
when i was in middle school, I wanted an Iron Man watch.  I thought they were super cool.

now, I wear G-Shocks.  I would wear an Iron Man and be happy, but the Rangeman stays on my wrist 99% of the time.  solar, atomic, compass, barometer, thermometer, altimeter, sunrise/sunset calendar, sudden pressure change warning, and the normal timer, stopwatch, world time.   also dust resistant and mud resistant, and low temp LCD.

what is not to like?

it was 4 years ago,  but here was my first post about the Rangeman,
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=50793.0
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 03:22:55 AM
Nice! :tu:
Send In the spartans

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 01:46:57 PM
To me, this is still, and always will be, the one watch I picture when someone says Timex Iron Man.

:tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 05:09:04 PM
I agree Def.

I have always thought of the ironman series as runner sport watches. Because of that, I never did get any of them.

Not sure how durable a Timex Expedition Grid shock is compared to a Casio G-Shock.

Timex Expedition Grid Shock on the left, and a Timex Expedition WS4 which the Grid Shock was based on, on the right.

My only Casio G-Shock, a GA-700. I knew that illumination sucked on this model...and even after reading about it on my online research, it still didn't get me ready for when I did get the watch. If it is very dark outside, you can just barely see the LCD...just barely. Otherwise a very nice and durable watch.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 01:39:26 AM
Yeah, I love my G Shocks, but one doesn't have a light and the other may as well not have a light.  They are absolutely horrible.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 01:43:52 AM
By the way, the reason I will always see the two button model as the real Iron Man is that my father had bought one many, many moons ago.  It was a bit of an impulse purchase and I remember him afterwards suffering a bit of buyer's remorse.  Soon the usefulness of the watch won him over, so much in fact that he bought one for my brother and I for either our birthdays or Christmas.  That was back in the pre-Indiglow days too, when the light on them was barely functional too, although still not as bad as G-Shocks.

It was a running joke in our household that my father had the real Iron Man watch and my brother and I had Rubbermaid watches because we weren't half the man he was.  To this day, even though all the Timex watches are long gone, just the mere mention of "a Rubbermaid watch" is enough to get the smurf swinging started!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%