Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evolution of an EDC

Kraken · 40 · 4013

us Offline Kraken

Evolution of an EDC
on: November 27, 2018, 10:03:42 PM
     I know there have been posts as to why we collect SAKs or why we carry the models we do, but I really like to know the stories behind those decisions, so I decided to start a new thread, if I may be so bold.
     My own foray in to the world of EDC SAKs has led me to amass a small collection. I can look at the different models in my collection and remember what I was looking for in each one to fill the need of my EDC SAK. I’d like to hear other’s stories about how they ended up with their choice of EDC and how, and if, it evolved along the way. I’ll share my story to start.
     I decided that I should start carrying a pocket knife everyday because I like being prepared, to an extent. Around this time I had recently found my old Victorinox Camper that I had received as a birthday present when I was around 10 or 11. The tip of the main blade was chipped off from me using it to pry something loose all those years ago. I decided to start researching the different models available as I liked the idea of a knife with tools on it, instead of the classic pocket knife, just a one trick pony.
I really wanted a model with scissors, as I thought these would get ton of use. I was also intrigued by the hook that was the backside tool to the scissors. I also remembered that the saw on my Camper was quite capable for its size. This led me to purchase a Huntsman. And a Rambler, but I digress. I carried the Huntsman around for about a month, when I realized that I would benefit from carrying a SAK at work as well. I had been tossing around the idea of a Cybertool since I work in IT and the bit driver would be a great tool to have on hand. I purchased a CT 34 and carried it in my pocket at work for months.
     In the meantime, I switched from the Huntsman to a Compact. I was really interested in having something so thin, but packed with features. And I really wanted to try out the pen! The compact served me well for a while, but I felt that the combo tool didn’t do any one thing well, unlike the dedicated cap lifter and can opener layer. This led me to the Super Tinker. It had the scissors, which by this time I couldn’t do without, and it had the backside Phillips driver. As the Cybertool I was carrying at work was a bit too bulky in my pocket, even on a dangler, I decided that I could carry the ST at work as well.
     The Super Tinker was my round the clock EDC and it served me well for another month or so. I came to realize that the backside Phillips had some limitations in its use. The t-handle limits the places it can be used and you can’t put too much torque on it. I came to the conclusion that my ideal EDC would be no more than 4-layers for pocket carry, and needed to have the scissors and a Phillips driver. Enter the Explorer, a model I had always passed on because of the magnifying glass that was paired opposite the in-line Phillips driver.
     After doing some research on the Explorer, I decided to bite the bullet. I got my hands on a gently used model with the clear plastic glass holder. It may just be me, but I just didn’t like the looks of the gray glass holder and the smaller viewing area of the glass. After a few days of carrying and using the Explorer, I was done for. Head over heels in love. Where had this thing been for most of my life?! I loved the fact that the Phillips driver had a 90° stop as well as the 180. And the mag glass was just fun to use like a kid, checking out my fingerprints, the small print on various electronic devices, dead bugs, etc. Two blades, very capable scissors, dedicated openers, an awl, a corkscrew/knot untangler and that hook...who could ask for anything more? After the corkscrew got bent after lending it to someone to open a bottle of wine, I treated myself to a shiny new Explorer and slapped on plus scales. We’ve been going strong for about a year now and are as happy as could be.
     My work EDC changed too. I finally decided on a Deluxe Tinker. I like the pliers at work and use them like aggressive tweezers to grab small screws that my sausage fingers can quite get and to remove smaller ribbon cables on electronics. The openers take care of any light prying work that needs to be done, the scissors come out several times a day and the backside Phillips gets some playing time as well.
     So that’s my long and winding story. What’s yours?
Semper Fortis

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Re: Evolution of an EDC
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 11:29:54 PM
I carry a knife since I was ten (~ the last 20 years). There were some youthful sins of course in my edc rotation.

One of my first knives was Victorinox Bantam. There were hard times in the past - but I was always proud of the SAK and I thought I can change the world with this tool (there was a TV series that shows that my thoughts are the truth  ;)

My EDC has some changes over the years - from the Bantam to some cheaper knives form Haller, Herberts and Puma. Back to the Bantam and a Spydercard.

Today I carrying 4 different sets:

Vic classic + LM Sideclip (+ Hartkopf knife)

Vic EvoGrip S18 + LM Sideclip

EvoGrip S18 + LM Freestyle

Vic Tinker Deluxe

My favorite combination is the classic + Sideclip. I love the toolset and it’s weight.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:36:32 PM
I also work in IT, and carry a CT34 most days in a Skinth S-Shield.  Away from work, I frequently use smaller SAKs with the inline Phillps and mag layer (Yeoman, Explorer, Scientist, etc.).

My preferences on the Phillips/mag layer are opposite yours, as I greatly prefer the reach of the longer driver and glass lens of the older models.  The field of view of the plastic clear-framed magnifier is wider, but the magnification on the older glass lens is noticeably higher than the plastic one.  However, I rarely use the magnifier and my tastes have shifted toward the CT driver layer as a more versatile tool.  Though it would be wider, I believe I would prefer a custom CT29 with added scissors or, likewise, a CT34 with the pliers removed to the Explorer for an all-around "urban" SAK choice.  The reason I haven't done this is because I do find the small pliers great at fishing small screws out of small areas in circuit boards where I've clumsily dropped them.

One thing is for certain, I will never have an "EDC".  I have too many varied uses for SAKs in my work and hobbies that I will never be well-served with just one model.
- Terry

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 11:44:07 PM
I love these threads!  :tu:

My EDC started out as a Camper with the teepee on the scales.  I carried every day for 5 years until it was lost in a movie theater.
I bought it for a few reasons, and I'm certain the MacGyver show had a lot to do with it, the year was 1986.

After losing it, I replaced it with a SwissChamp, but since it only rode in my backpack, I didn't bond with it.  I still have it and love it, but I prefer smaller tools that fit in a pocket.

I went through a lot of decision making and opted to have my dream EDC created from a Compact and an Explorer.  The result:

The modded one is really my go-to EDC when I know I'm going to need something bigger than a Vagabond.  I have an Expedition Kit that I will carry when I go camping...it has a lot of extras that are nice, but I don't carry it daily.

Knives have to have an extraordinary special meaning for me to bond with them.  The Camper (my 1st SAK) was special.  I lost that knife in 1991, it's been 27 years since I have felt a strong bond with a knife.  It is this alox Vagabond I purchased in memory of my brother, may he rest in peace.
The Vagabond:

Me with my brother:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:22:53 AM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 12:12:43 AM
Great story!  :hatsoff: :cheers:

us Offline Kraken

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 05:48:11 PM
CeHo, you have quite the rotation. With so many choices, how do you decide which will be carried on any given day?

NutSAK, with the CT34 in the Skinth S-Shield, is there room on the side or front pockets for anything else or is it a tight fit? I've been tossing around the idea of getting a Skinth. I agree with you that if I could get a custom CT29 (with the scissors) it would definitely replace my DT for work and maybe the Explorer as well. I use my CT41 around the house all the time for bit driver, especially for my son's toys.

FB, I love that custom EDC you have! A great selection of tools you've got there. And the Vagabond is a great way to remember your brother.

Thanks for sharing your stories everyone!

Semper Fortis

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 06:15:45 PM
CeHo, you have quite the rotation. With so many choices, how do you decide which will be carried on any given day?

It’s often a hard decision  :facepalm:

The biggest problem are the possible EDC tools that I’m testing... These days I test several items and they have to be included in the rotation.

Mostly I checked what’s on this dated and grab my stuff 😉

The deluxe tinker for example is my business-edc.

I’m interested in the way you decide which is a good edc tool and which not? They must be practical but most of my tools have a sentimental aspect too.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 06:23:17 PM
     I know there have been posts as to why we collect SAKs or why we carry the models we do, but I really like to know the stories behind those decisions, so I decided to start a new thread, if I may be so bold.

So that’s my long and winding story.

Nice story Kraken! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 06:30:53 PM
I love these threads!  :tu:

The modded one is really my go-to EDC when I know I'm going to need something bigger than a Vagabond.  I have an Expedition Kit that I will carry when I go camping...it has a lot of extras that are nice, but I don't carry it daily.

Knives have to have an extraordinary special meaning for me to bond with them.  The Camper (my 1st SAK) was special.  I lost that knife in 1991, it's been 27 years since I have felt a strong bond with a knife.  It is this alox Vagabond I purchased in memory of my brother, may he rest in peace.
The Vagabond:

Nice mod FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

I love the story behind the Vagabond and the picture of you with your brother! :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 06:39:08 PM
I think many have a similar edc journey as you.  At the very least a similar SAK journey.  I was always very interested in those who bonded with a certain SAK and carried it for decades.  Me, well I'm not monogamous enough I guess  :facepalm:.  I think the one tool that has been a mainstay is my Manager.  That SAK has however evolved from a Wenger esquire to a Vic Classic then onto a Minichamp and so on.  I've gotten a PTC and like it a lot.  It wont kick my Manager off my keychain tho.  I've also gotten a 2nd Manager very recently which has disrupted my admiration for the PTC. 

My goal was to find a simple yet effective 58mm SAK for my keychain.  I always wanted to have one tool that could serve several roles.   Having the pen on this SAK saved me from carrying or remembering to carry a pen.  While the Minichamp has one the bulk and extra tools that see little use made the Manager a perfect 58mm SAK. 

With my larger SAK it wasn't such an easy journey.   Heres my journey https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71074.0.html

I began with a Wenger similar to a Tinker tho quickly moved on.  I wasn't sure what I wanted so the journey was more about trying as many combinations as possible.  Along the way I gave many away or traded them off to try the next model.  Looking thru Sakwiki was no help.  All the models I wanted to try were discontinued ( meaning expensive ).  I dont recall the way in which I came about the Explorer Plus or Swisschamp or why.   It was instant love tho.  The Explorer Plus is still and active part of my regular carry SAKs.   The Swisschamp is part of my hike kit. 

I got a Deluxe Tinker along the way which is a great work tool.  Whats interesting is as the years went by I realized more and more I completely missed the 84mm line.  Many are not easy to get, at least the ones I wanted to try.  I got a Golfer but the combo tool is not something I get along with.  I was surprised how well I liked the 84mm Tinker and Recruit.  I had a 91mm Recruit and liked it well enough but always seemed it was missing something, scissors.  Both 84mm SAKs ( Tinker/Recruit ) continue to be tools I use tho not carry as often. 

It wasn't until I got my Salesman that I felt my off day carry was complete.  I would like to get a Ribbed Alox Voyager or model 232ka (SAKwiki) but this maybe more of the addiction side than really any sort of an "upgrade".  I also like my Ribbed Cadet 2 tho not having scissors does ding this tool slightly for me.  I tend to like a scissor on my SAK.  I can get away without but I'd rather not.   

As to whether our tool choices are evolutionary or.....  I dont know exactly.  What I do know is over time my thoughts on "need" change.  I used to like to carry several things both out of desire and just in case.  Now I carry what I like, as little as I like, or multiple items just because.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 06:41:28 PM
@FB, such a sweet pic of you and your brother.  I tend to really enjoy these discussions as well.  I really enjoyed yours  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 06:48:23 PM
I have collected and carried knives since I was 8 years old, but I did not see a real Swiss Army knife until I was in my early 30's. It was a Champion and I bought it on the spot. I was totally in awe of the quality and blade selection.

I ended up becoming a Victorinox Dealer and the Swiss Champ came out and I have carried one as an EDC ever since, but the SAK that I am using 90% of the time is this Red Executive that was gifted to me this year by a friend. It has special meaning to me. I carry it in the watch pocket of my jeans and it handles the majority of the things I need to do.

Click on pictures for best pictures

GEDC1338.JPG
* GEDC1338.JPG (Filesize: 299.5 KB)
GEDC1345.JPG
* GEDC1345.JPG (Filesize: 269.22 KB)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 06:54:45 PM
I was always very interested in those who bonded with a certain SAK and carried it for decades.

As to whether our tool choices are evolutionary or.....  I dont know exactly.  What I do know is over time my thoughts on "need" change.  I used to like to carry several things both out of desire and just in case.  Now I carry what I like, as little as I like, or multiple items just because.     

Great story Aloha! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 06:55:16 PM
Me too. 
@FB, such a sweet pic of you and your brother.  I tend to really enjoy these discussions as well.  I really enjoyed yours  :salute:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 06:55:53 PM
 :iagree: and right on Aloha!!
I was always very interested in those who bonded with a certain SAK and carried it for decades.

Great story Aloha! :like: :tu: :tu:
Barry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 07:04:53 PM
NutSAK, with the CT34 in the Skinth S-Shield, is there room on the side or front pockets for anything else or is it a tight fit? I've been tossing around the idea of getting a Skinth. I agree with you that if I could get a custom CT29 (with the scissors) it would definitely replace my DT for work and maybe the Explorer as well. I use my CT41 around the house all the time for bit driver, especially for my son's toys.

The Swisschamp will fit in the Skinth, so there's extra room with the CT34.  I carry a small AAA light on one side (Peak Eiger or ARC AAA) and a small Countycomm prybar on the other.  Below is the S-Shield loaded with the CT34.  The knife and light are slightly pulled out of the pouch in the picture.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:06:42 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 07:06:58 PM
Nice kit!!
Barry

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Evolution of an EDC
Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 07:10:18 PM
I got my first knife when I was about 11 years old. A SD Classic with a piano paint on it. I loved it!!! Unfortunately it got lost not long after receiving it.

The next year when I was on a holiday in Austria, my dad bought me a Wenger knife, which I still own. I have no idea what model this is.

Absolutely loved this knife, but it was missing out on one thing, scissors. So, after using the Wenger for many years I decided to buy a new knife. And that’s where it all went wrong. While surfing on the internet to decide which knife I was going to buy I stumbled upon this forum.
It’s all your fault!!!!

I decided to buy a SilverTech Climber and I’d carry it always. Loved the scales so much I also ordered a Huntsman with points I collected with my phone subscription.

But then I wondered if it wouldn’t be easy to carry a Signature Lite with my keys. Always nice to have a pen and a little light.

Ahum... Then I fell for the little size and also bought a MiniChamp. And this one, it’s the knife I carry most of the time. It’s tiny, but it has so many tools...

So, that was the beginning of the little ones. Almost everytime I walk into the Victorinox Store in Roermond it seems like there’s glue on my fingers...

And then today, I’ve been lurking at the Explorer White Christmas Edition 2017 for weeks now, I found a great deal. So another addition to my collection.

I swear, it’s all your fault!!!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:15:42 PM by Serena »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 08:39:46 PM
I got my first knife when I was about 11 years old. A SD Classic with a piano paint on it. I loved it!!! Unfortunately it got lost not long after receiving it.

The next year when I was on a holiday in Austria, my dad bought me a Wenger knife, which I still own. I have no idea what model this is.

(Image removed from quote.)

Absolutely loved this knife, but it was missing out on one thing, scissors. So, after using the Wenger for many years I decided to buy a new knife. And that’s where it all went wrong. While surfing on the internet to decide which knife I was going to buy I stumbled upon this forum.
It’s all your fault!!!!

I decided to buy a SilverTech Climber and I’d carry it always. Loved the scales so much I also ordered a Huntsman with points I collected with my phone subscription.

But then I wondered if it wouldn’t be easy to carry a Signature Lite with my keys. Always nice to have a pen and a little light.

Ahum... Then I fell for the little size and also bought a MiniChamp. And this one, it’s the knife I carry most of the time. It’s tiny, but it has so many tools...

So, that was the beginning of the little ones. Almost everytime I walk into the Victorinox Store in Roermond it seems like there’s glue on my fingers...

And then today, I’ve been lurking at the Explorer White Christmas Edition 2017 for weeks now, I found a great deal. So another addition to my collection.

Oh boy, I like your red Alox there!  :tu: :cheers:

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Evolution of an EDC
Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 08:43:33 PM

It’s all your fault!!!!

And it's 27 years old!!! Have to ask my dad to polish it, always makes it look better.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 08:44:19 PM
I got my first knife when I was about 11 years old. 

Nice story Serena! :like: :tu: :tu:

It's nice you still have the Wenger your dad gave you.

The MiniChamp is a great EDC! :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 09:11:01 PM

It’s all your fault!!!!

And it's 27 years old!!! Have to ask my dad to polish it, always makes it look better.
:sa:
That is great! Doesn’t look it, but when you take care of something, it will show!  :cheers:

us Offline Kraken

Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 09:18:52 PM

The Swisschamp will fit in the Skinth, so there's extra room with the CT34.  I carry a small AAA light on one side (Peak Eiger or ARC AAA) and a small Countycomm prybar on the other.  Below is the S-Shield loaded with the CT34.  The knife and light are slightly pulled out of the pouch in the picture.

[/quote]

That is a nice set up! Now I really have the itch to get a Skinth. That usually happens with things I see on this forum though!
Semper Fortis

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 09:21:54 PM

Nice pic NutSAK! :like: :tu: :tu:

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 12:20:50 AM

It’s all your fault!!!!

That is great! Doesn’t look it, but when you take care of something, it will show!  :cheers:
Totally misunderstood you. Sorry!!!
The Wenger is 27 years old, the alox three or four years old.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 01:01:20 AM

It’s all your fault!!!!

Totally misunderstood you. Sorry!!!
The Wenger is 27 years old, the alox three or four years old.
No worries...at my age, i get confused real easy!  :tu:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 04:15:55 AM
I've carried various SAK's and found the Spirit was the best that works for me and I've ran with it..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 04:29:47 AM
Hard to beat a Spirit!
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 06:27:00 AM
@ VICMAN.  Being a dealer must have been like a kid in a candy store, minus the business aspect of course.  Cant fault you on the Swisschamp.  Its really a wonderful SAK.  The Executive is one of those SAKs that either you bond with or dont.  Its a strong contender for one of the neatest SAKs from Vic.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 06:33:20 AM
@ Serena.  Nice story.  Heres a link to SAKWIKI which I believe is your knife.  If you have T&T the could be one of the variations.  http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Commander
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD