Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Air Cars...

665ae · 14 · 1605

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Air Cars...
on: December 05, 2008, 07:27:15 PM
http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/489.html

I still have some reservations as to the durability and safety of a daily driver using compressed air... (but the hybrid they mentioned sounds really interesting)

The part of this vid that I thought was really cool was the 2nd part... The small air rotary engine is awesome, and I'm hoping it will actually end up being used.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Air Cars...
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:34:43 PM
I really hope the technology works as it's a pretty clean fuel source :)

I think there trailling it in Spain and Southern France :think:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:55:12 PM
I think there trailling it in Spain and Southern France

Is that the Pommy equivalent of "back east"?

The place you can name so people can nod knowingly, but it's far enough away no one will actually check the facts?

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:23:36 PM
A 50 PSI tire blowing up can send a grown man across the garage, that thing has three large tanks at 300 bar (4531 PSI) right under your butt.  :o

But $4 of electricity for 200 km does sound good.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:24:08 PM
Not a good choice if it is... we have a prominent member from Spain...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 12:35:53 AM
That's pretty neat.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 02:43:37 AM
A 50 PSI tire blowing up can send a grown man across the garage, that thing has three large tanks at 300 bar (4531 PSI) right under your butt.  :o

But $4 of electricity for 200 km does sound good.

In the video they talk about how the tanks are fiber... if the pressure get's too high, or they get punctured, they just crack... supposedly...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 03:12:13 AM
Yeah I heard that too, but at that pressure (did I hear that right, 300 bar?) crackable material sounds like shrapnel materal. Besdies even if it only cracks, there's enough power to turn something into a rocket.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 03:55:20 AM
Maybe if the tank broke free of the car it could turn into a missile... otherwise, the weight of the car should be enough to hold it in place and not let it build any momentum.

Although, I find the thought of little cars getting punctured tanks and flying away out of control somewhat funny :D

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 12:55:47 PM
One would think the tanks are fiber so that if they do blow, minimal damage will be done, also the difference in weight... plus if you put the carbon fiber tanks under a steel plate that covers the undercarriage of the car, it should protect anyone from shrapnel. You could also probably coat the tanks with a rubber coating to hold them together even if they do crack. I'd imagine they have some good people working out the details to make it safe for all.

In general it sounds like a great option for getting around town!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 09:58:47 PM
And you can always add a valve aiming backward for a little extra ommph when wanted, although excessive use may leave you stranded with no "fuel" left.  :P

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 11:51:02 PM
I have seen the video of it in future cars, the amount of energy compressing the air is about the same as charging batteries of the electric car ain't it?
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 12:06:41 AM
I have seen the video of it in future cars, the amount of energy compressing the air is about the same as charging batteries of the electric car ain't it?

That's what I was thinking too.

The tanks of compressed air are just another form of stored energy, no different than a battery stores an electrical charge. The air "motor" is a device for converting that stored energy into rotary motion, just like an electric motor.

Comparing the two, it seems like an electric car would have all the advantages.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 12:19:27 AM

That's what I was thinking too.

The tanks of compressed air are just another form of stored energy, no different than a battery stores an electrical charge. The air "motor" is a device for converting that stored energy into rotary motion, just like an electric motor.

Comparing the two, it seems like an electric car would have all the advantages.
Yup that was exactly what I'm thinking. Now if they make a fart powered car that you be something! :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%