Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wostenholm Knives: What's their story?

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Wostenholm Knives: What's their story?
on: February 17, 2019, 10:27:28 PM
I'm always looking for 'traditional' knife-makers, and Wostenholm came to my attention.  Obviously, an old-line British icon for those who own them.  I imagine the quality is first-rate, since the concern has been around prior to 1800 in England.  What's is the consensus among the knife-mavens who actually own the brand?  I'm looking at a nice stag barlow-pattern for just under $100.00 USD.  I appreciate any input, from my Brit-friends on the forum.  Classic-knives rock, that's why I love-them on many different levels.  Thanks ahead of time!  Here's a pic of the one I really like:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:34:17 PM by eTripper »
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Wostenholm Knives: What's their story?
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:46:23 PM
They're one of the brands that used to be good. I have two of their knives (same one blade barlow pattern as your pic), and they're OK, but the backsprings are a little spongy. However, I've been using slippies for so long, that really isn't an issue for me. The buffalo horn one that I have, has seen quite a lot of pocket time. Whether I'd have given it as much pocket time if it wasn't created in the same city as me, is less easy to answer.

The knife has never let me down, but the soft backspring on that model might underwhelm many users, who expect something a little more snappy. Other knife companies from the same group/factory (Eggington Group) include Joseph Rodgers, and George Ibbotson. Again, you can get decent knives from them, but you can also get disappointments too. I've had a few decent Rodgers knives, and had a few that felt very gritty on the walk and talk, and never really smoothed out.

Sadly, these and other companies found themselves in the 1970's/1980's and onwards, trying to compete on price, rather than quality. This allowed the world to move ahead and leave these guys behind. If you just want function, they'll do the job. If you want perfect centreing, smooth operation, and a snappy backspring - you might get it, or you might not.

I got a really nice knife from A. Wrights which was well made, and every other knife of theirs I saw in the shop that day was nicely done. Then I advised dks he'd be fine getting one online, and he ended up getting one he wasn't entirely happy with (all the function was there, but not quite up to his collector standards in other respects).

So if you just want a user knife, go for it, but expect to find some imperfections, depending on what you actually get. If you want something that's been lovingly produced, and given more care and attention, then the Taylor Eye Witness premium line might be more to your liking.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 10:57:53 PM
Here's mine...
IMG_20190217_215358_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190217_215358_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 79.55 KB)
IMG_20190217_215419_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190217_215419_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 71.02 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 01:21:38 AM
AW, thank you for your quick-reply, and insight on this branding.  I too, am kind of indifferent on strong back-spring tension.  The Great Eastern UN-X-LD in my 'traditional stable', has a very stout back-spring; right-from-the-box.  Almost, to the point of being 'tough' to employ.  Then again, my Boker Camp from Germany is about a medium-pull.  I'm much more interested in a 'user' to be sure.  Reasonable value-for-price, that doesn't break-the-wallet.  Some imperfections give a knife it's own unique character.  In some-ways, I've always been a bit of an anglophile, and always wanted to add an example, made in 'Old Blighty' to the collection.  I've been actively looking at the Lionsteel offerings from Italy, which in any lexicon are regarded as a 'premium' cutlery marque. So, once-again thanks for sharing-your-experience regarding this, and other British knife-makers.        :salute:
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%