Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Camillus Cutlery Memories 4620

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,629
Re: Camillus Cutlery Memories
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2020, 02:52:34 AM »
 :salute:.  Once the flea markets open I'll keep a sharper eye out. 

Esse Quam Videri
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 52,686
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2020, 03:04:15 PM »
No Life Club Posts: 2,602
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2020, 12:06:35 AM »
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2020, 04:37:31 PM »
I am beginning to understand why GEC or should I say how GEC has grown to be what they are today.  I don't own one yet but from all I read and all I've seen they are carrying on a wonderful tradition of knife making.  They seem to be very focused on quality.  I watched a 3 part series on how they go about making a knife and it was pretty darn good. 

As for Camillus, I have one and its a good knife.  It really is a shame when what I would tend to believe is a blue collar company loose its "direction" or whatever the sum of what happened happened.  Maybe I'm being overly nostalgic this morning. 

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 2,602
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2020, 05:04:48 PM »
I am beginning to understand why GEC or should I say how GEC has grown to be what they are today.  I don't own one yet but from all I read and all I've seen they are carrying on a wonderful tradition of knife making.  They seem to be very focused on quality.  I watched a 3 part series on how they go about making a knife and it was pretty darn good. 

As for Camillus, I have one and its a good knife.  It really is a shame when what I would tend to believe is a blue collar company loose its "direction" or whatever the sum of what happened happened.  Maybe I'm being overly nostalgic this morning.

I tend to agree...  Camillus made some good knives, and I sometimes consider getting one of their new ones (though it's not the same company at all).  There are reports of their old factory being disorganized, with various parts all over the place... Some made for Remington...  Sounds like there was a problem with their executive leadership. 

I have a Camillus scout knife and one of their lockback knives that's made with random parts.  On the lockback, the liners and backspring are clearly made for a two bladed knife, but it only has one blade... And the tang stamp begins with R.  It's obviously been made with random parts.
Still my favorite heavy duty camp knife though... Sorry Victorinox.
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2020, 04:36:14 PM »
I carry my 64 a lot.  Its very well done and I have no complaints as to quality.  I have no clue how it was treated by previous owner/s but its a survivor. 

Having recently been interested in getting a GEC it no fault of theirs some choose to buy solely for collecting.  What I'm saying is I believe whole heartedly they are making knives to be used.  The level of care they put into their knives suggest this to me.  When a maker ( IMO ) takes the time to get everything right they do so for the end user.  They want this knife to be put to work. 

I've been reading a bit about Camillus and it continues to sadden me they couldn't survive.  It may just be it was their time to go.  Hats off to companies like Opinel and Victorinox for what they've been able to accomplish.   

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD