Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sometimes I am cheap- but this time it was ok!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Sometimes I am cheap- but this time it was ok!
on: February 19, 2019, 09:17:44 PM
Lately I have been thinking of putting a TV in the bedroom, but as usual, I ended up being a bit on the cheap side.

Since I hadn't planned to spend actual money on a good TV (it is just something to watch while I fall asleep) I figured I would watch the classifieds pretty close and see what came up.  A few days ago I spotted what was listed as a 29 inch TV for $25, and I jumped on it.

Of course, there was one catch- it didn't have a stand.  The seller had it wall mounted, probably threw out the stand when he bought it, then, when he recently replaced it with a different TV he kept the wall mount, so whoever got this one had no way to put it up.

Yeah, it kind of stands on it's own, but I have big dogs and they bump into things, and that wouldn't do either dogs or the TV any good, so I figured I could do better.  Initially I looked around for a cheap wall mount or something, but the cheapest ones I found were $25, and I had already spent that on the TV- I didn't need to double my investment!

So I started looking around and found some old 1" square channel aluminum and some 1 inch aluminum L channel, and I decided to make my own stand.  I started by digging around and seeing if I had any mounting screws that would fit the TV.

I save screws from everything, and had some screws from an old TV stand that I had years ago.  I managed to find some that fit... almost.

I had three long ones that fit and three short ones that fit.  In the end I decided to use the long ones and one short one that I would feed into the end of the square channel.  It would be a bit of a pint in the butt, but the mounting hole wouldn't be that far in, and I could drill the outer hole a bit larger for access with a screwdriver.    No big deal.

I started with the feet- I had just over 26 inches of L channel, so I cut two 13 inch feet and rounded the corners with my Dremel tool, because aluminum corners can be very unforgiving when you brush up against them inadvertently.  And with my balance issues and having to step over dogs in the middle of the night, it's only a matter of time before inadvertent brushes become fact.

The long screws, as you can see were long enough to go all the way through the square channel, so that was pretty much ideal.

I then measured the back of the TV and found that it was about ten inches from the top screw hole to the bottom of the TV, and I wanted the TV to be a few inches high, so I decided that my vertical supports should be 14 inches high, so I cut two 14 inch lengths of the square channel and drilled holes that matched the screw locations.

The next step was to drill a small pilot hole in the foot and the vertical support, so I lined them up and more of less freehanded them.  I didn't get exactly 90 degree cuts on the square channel, so I wasn't counting on that to ensure it was upright- I just wanted a mechanical fastener for strength.  Yes, a 90 degree cut would have been better, but all I have for cutting metal are a couple of hand saws (hacksaws) and a jigsaw, so they aren't the straightest cuts.  With the pilot hole drilled I then ran a small self tapping screw into each foot and into the square channel.

That worked well enough and held pretty solidly.  I had to keep reminding myself that the TV wasn't that heavy, and that I didn't need something capable of replacing one of the legs on the Eiffel Tower- I have a bad (very bad) habit of overbuilding things.   :facepalm:

I put some weatherstripping along the bottom of the feet to account for slight offsets of the feet, to absorb some of the impact when dogs bump into the dresser, and to keep it from scratching the top of the dresser.

Then I used the edge of my workbench as a T square and filled the uneven ends with hot glue, which would provide more than enough rigidity to hold up the TV.

Then it was time to attach it to the TV- as you can see, I used the small screw inside the square channel because it wouldn't go all the way through.

So how well did it work?

It's not the cleanest build I have ever done, but for an hour's worth of my time and parts/tools I had lying around I didn't think it was too shabby!

If I was doing it again I think I would make the cuts cleaner or square them off a bit better with a belt/disk sander that I have, but is in the garage right now, and therefore was too much effort to get! 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Sometimes I am cheap- but this time it was ok!
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:48:15 PM
That is a tidy bit of work Boss. And the best bit is you can put your feet up and relax with an hour or two of telly!  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 09:52:07 PM
Good job! :like:
Looks like it will support the TV very well for when you are relaxing :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 10:40:55 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 11:13:45 PM
 :like:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 12:36:04 AM
Nice work Boss! A little redneck chrome (duct tape) would church that up real nice like.

Joking aside, good work.
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 12:48:49 AM
Nice work, feller.  :tu: 

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 02:51:40 AM
Great job!  Primo scrounging effort!
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 04:55:05 AM
Nice one! :tu:  :like:

I can always appreciate going the cost effective route  :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 05:37:31 AM
Good job!  :tu: I can relate to overbuilding things. Everything i built seems to evolve until it could hold a tank  :facepalm:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 06:24:37 AM
 :iagree:
+1 :tu:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 06:55:53 AM
Not bad at all  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 11:30:36 AM
Good job!  :tu: I can relate to overbuilding things. Everything i built seems to evolve until it could hold a tank  :facepalm:

It's funny that you should say it like that- I learned to build things from my father, who was a Combat Engineer in the military, and everything he builds is built with supporting a tank in mind!   :D

I thought about spraying it black so it looked more like a professional job or was less visible, but it doesn't bother me, and no one else is going to be looking at it.  Besides, I like the look of raw aluminum. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 11:46:10 AM
Well done, that's a bargain in every sense of the word!   :cheers:

BTW, History Channel's Ancient Aliens works better than any sleeping pill for me  :hatsoff:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 02:15:01 PM
I will give that one a try.

I need something that is interesting enough to keep my mind from wandering into something else, but not so interesting that I start to get into it and start actively thinking about it. I find Family Guy reruns are great for that.  I have seen them all so many times that I know what is coming next, but that alone kind of keeps me interested.  :D

Def

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 11:50:01 PM

It's funny that you should say it like that- I learned to build things from my father, who was a Combat Engineer in the military, and everything he builds is built with supporting a tank in mind!   :D

I thought about spraying it black so it looked more like a professional job or was less visible, but it doesn't bother me, and no one else is going to be looking at it.  Besides, I like the look of raw aluminum. 

Def

:like: It is just the mechanic coming out. Worked for a few years on tanks, trucks, and other combat vehicles. Guess it messed me up. Now everything needs to be tank–proof  :rofl:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 05:12:22 AM
The last TV I installed had a means of attaching a tether (which I had to buy separately) to the back of the TV to connect it to the wall or the furniture it was installed on. The tether will prevent it from tipping over if it is nudged. Your stand looks more stable than the factory feet would have been but I strongly advise you go with the tether as well.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 12:29:19 PM
better over engineered and safe than under engineered and vulnerable to failure.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 02:22:21 PM
(…)

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, it kind of stands on it's own, but I have big dogs am getting older and they I bump into things,

(…)

FTFY  :D

[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 02:23:10 PM
But jokes aside, nicely done! :cheers:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 02:30:15 PM
The last TV I installed had a means of attaching a tether (which I had to buy separately) to the back of the TV to connect it to the wall or the furniture it was installed on. The tether will prevent it from tipping over if it is nudged. Your stand looks more stable than the factory feet would have been but I strongly advise you go with the tether as well.

Excellent idea.  I will look on the back of the TV and see if there's an appropriate mounting spot for a safety cable, and if not I will drill one in the stand.   :tu:

better over engineered and safe than under engineered and vulnerable to failure.

Absolutely!

Def

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 04:51:55 PM
(…)

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, it kind of stands on it's own, but I have big dogs am getting older and they I bump into things,
 :rofl:
(…)

FTFY  :D

:rofl: :whistle:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 04:58:20 PM
Cool! Get some shrink tube to cover the feet and protect the furniture (awlso makes it less prone to slip).

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 06:50:13 PM
Cool! Get some shrink tube to cover the feet and protect the furniture (awlso makes it less prone to slip).

Already used weatherstripping for that.  :D

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 05:15:00 PM

Def

And that's why you're the Boss, Boss.

:tu: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 06:11:51 PM

Def

And that's why you're the Boss, Boss.

:tu: :salute:

:iagree:  :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 06:46:16 PM
more than enough rigidity to hold up the TV.
So how well did it work?

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 07:13:30 PM
Great thinking outside the box!

But take it from a guy who installs TVs every day for money,there is a reason that the original feet for that thing were towards the outer edges of the screen and not where the way too narrow VESA mount is and that is the stance that your feet give it.
I would add a cross tube on the bottom and move those feet to the outside as far as possible to make it a lot more stable overall.

I would look into redoing this so that the feet are where the originals were or it will be little challenge for the dogs to knock over I bet.
I am really not trying to be critical but speaking from experience here only,I have had to build a lot of these for the same reason that you did and you want as wide a stance as possible.

Also I have seen a Mantle fall of like that more than I can count!?

Oh and I love the term "Redneck Chrome" and will need to remember that one if I can too!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:15:53 PM by ezdog »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD