Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free Series

wowaboro · 1511 · 74292

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Leatherman Free Series
Reply #1470 on: June 02, 2019, 11:52:09 PM
I agree with AW and TG.
But I also like that others do enjoy their P2/P4.

Then here I was writing some more but....

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1471 on: June 02, 2019, 11:59:20 PM
I agree with AW and TG.

Hey, I enjoy my P4 as well  :twak:.

But I would enjoy two of them (and probably two P2's as well) if they weren't so d*mn expensive ...  :whistle:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1472 on: June 03, 2019, 12:05:05 AM
 :D  :hatsoff:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #1474 on: June 03, 2019, 12:09:43 AM
I agree with AW and TG.

Absolutely!  :salute:

I have on many occasions recommended a tool that I personally don't like, because I thought the tool would maybe suit them better than it did me. While I do express my own personal opinions on a wide range of tools and components, I certainly don't want to detract from or diminish anybody's enjoyment of ANY tool they enjoy and get good service from.  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #1475 on: June 03, 2019, 02:24:38 AM
I'm throwing in the towel for this thread myself. There are several misunderstandings and such that need to be worked out in the last several posts. I'm too tired to try.

Cheers fellas. :cheers:

* download.jpeg.jpg (Filesize: 4.09 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline gregpost

Reply #1476 on: October 10, 2019, 07:05:01 PM

And I'm not letting LM off with any reason about Wave patents though. Patents for the PST have been expired for eons, and no company has really copied the essence and feel of the PST. Almost all PST clones are pretty bad, and the good ones are mediocre. Yeah, Chinese produced tools have gotten much better, but most still don't work out as well as LM's old designs. The ones that do are pretty expensive, so why not shell out a bit more cash and get the excellent CS and US build. The Wave would be even more difficult to make a proper clone(some say homage) of. I own enough MTs to get a feel of where the Chinese produced tool market is at in terms of overall use and feel(quality-wise). The decent Chinese tools are definitely knocking on LM tool pricing these days, but still suffer poor-steel treating, QC problems galore, and bad customer service.

Leatherman knew what was coming. That's why they needed new IP and wanted to market the newest tools as being better than the Wave design. These Walmart knockoffs are under $40 and will be even cheaper pretty soon. The Leatherman Wave format has always been the best innovation in multitools. I would imagine now several Chinese companies will copy the design and the quality of the clones will get better or more varied.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #1477 on: October 10, 2019, 08:59:57 PM
There’s always a market for knock-offs, legit or otherwise. And with patent expiries, even the best get it wrong. Can anyone honestly say the OHT is better than Gerber’s original design?

But I do like the full-size bit holder in the pic above.  :like:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #1478 on: October 11, 2019, 12:24:51 PM
   I would LOVE a P4, but cannot justify the price. For about $10.00 more or so, I can get a Charge with 154 or S30 steel on the blade. If this ever gets to around $100.00, I may pick one up. I like the looks of it and know it is a good quality tool.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:54:27 PM by mikekoz »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1479 on: October 11, 2019, 03:20:16 PM
If I stumble across one for a price I'm willing to pay, I'll pick one up.  I'll likely be fiddle factor for me but who knows  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #1480 on: October 11, 2019, 05:00:14 PM
If I stumble across one for a price I'm willing to pay, I'll pick one up.  I'll likely be fiddle factor for me but who knows  :dunno:.

Fiddle factor is one of the reasons why my Free P4 has become my most carried EDC multitool these days

I've said it before, I'm not a heavy tool user so the Free will easily deal with all the chores that cross my path.  But even though I'm quite confident that it will handle heavier tasks as well, my mind still makes me grab my Wave/Charge or Surge for the heavier stuff.

And indeed, fiddle factor is extremely high on the Free, it's a fun tool to play with and it looks great.  Only negative point in my opinion is the retail price, which is insane.

Over here prices on the Free P4 have dropped from 199.98 € to 189.98 (169.98 € to 159.98 € for the P2).  A couple of months after I bought a P4 as one of the first in Belgium, I got a 20 € discount code from Leatherman.be when they lowered the P4 prices, to reward me for being a loyal Leatherman fan. 

Very nice Belgian Leatherman importer, very nice  :tu:.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #1481 on: October 12, 2019, 03:36:21 AM
Yes the fiddle factor cannot be denied, and makes the P2 and P4 more enjoyable to carry.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1482 on: October 12, 2019, 06:20:51 AM
I'm all about fiddle factor  :tu:.  I've yet to play with one so I might have to take a trip to a store where they have them. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #1483 on: October 12, 2019, 10:00:20 PM
I'm all about fiddle factor  :tu:.  I've yet to play with one so I might have to take a trip to a store where they have them.

Do eeeet man!
K-Tibbs

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #1484 on: October 14, 2019, 07:56:56 PM
Leatherman was worried about the Wave patents expiring and cheap Chinese copies with increased quality flooding the market for a much lower price than the Leatherman Wave. So they wanted a new platform. That seems kind of gimmicky to me and also missing the point of why people buy Leatherman tools. It's a company that stand by their products and they're very tough tools to begin with.

Maybe this goes to why they were making a direct comparison to the Wave. You can read some of the behind the scenes development process for the Free series in this article.

How Tim Leatherman Created the Iconic American Multitool

“He said that our patents" on the Leatherman Wave ”are going to run out, and we won’t be able to protect it from copies,” Lazenby recalls. “‘We need you to make it faster, cheaper, smaller, lighter.’ Which is impossible.” Still, he hunkered down and eventually emerged with the Free series.

From the article:

"It took eight years to get the Pocket Survival Tool into anyone’s pocket. The PST made its debut in 1983 in a catalog you’ve never heard of and, 10 years later, Leatherman, still a private company, was selling more than a million units a year."

Wait.. what?  Cabela's is, was and always has been a fairly well-known brand, even when they were predominantly catalog sales.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1485 on: October 14, 2019, 09:17:14 PM
Nice read!  :like:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #1486 on: October 15, 2019, 03:42:25 AM
From the article:

"It took eight years to get the Pocket Survival Tool into anyone’s pocket. The PST made its debut in 1983 in a catalog you’ve never heard of and, 10 years later, Leatherman, still a private company, was selling more than a million units a year."

Wait.. what?  Cabela's is, was and always has been a fairly well-known brand, even when they were predominantly catalog sales.

And the Early Winters catalogue was briefly (1983-1984) quite popular (until they went broke), and obviously sold quite a few of the original PSTs.  If you come across an old PST with only Pat 4238862 and a customer's name stamped on the handles it is most likely an Early Winters version made at the same time as the original Cabela's PSTs.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline carl

Reply #1487 on: November 25, 2019, 04:42:18 AM
   I would LOVE a P4, but cannot justify the price. For about $10.00 more or so, I can get a Charge with 154 or S30 steel on the blade. If this ever gets to around $100.00, I may pick one up. I like the looks of it and know it is a good quality tool.

This site is selling the P4 for $119.96 but is it legit or fake?

https://www.leathermanbest.shop/free-p4-stainless-steel-21-tools-p-27.html

us Offline carl

Reply #1488 on: November 25, 2019, 09:43:04 AM
This site is selling the P2 for $99.96 but is it legit?

https://www.leathermanbest.shop/free-p2-stainless-steel-19-tools-p-16.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1489 on: November 25, 2019, 12:47:33 PM
Seems legit to me as that is close to the retail price in several places :salute:

us Offline italophil

Reply #1490 on: November 25, 2019, 03:55:35 PM
This site is selling the P2 for $99.96 but is it legit?

https://www.leathermanbest.shop/free-p2-stainless-steel-19-tools-p-16.html

I saw that last week as well and it looked too sketchy for me: The domain was registered with GoDaddy and a location in Shanghai only 3 month ago. The contact info is a mobile home park in Washington state. The phone number seems to belong to a woman in Indiana.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1491 on: November 25, 2019, 08:38:56 PM
If 2 of you are iffy then might be best not to buy from there  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #1492 on: December 25, 2019, 07:20:22 PM
Finally in the club

First major downfall is the lack of mini driver, already needed one for some glasses!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #1493 on: December 25, 2019, 08:53:09 PM
Joined the club today too...somehow not quite as excited as other LMs I’ve acquired. Maybe a little jaded from all the forum chatter this year. Still, a good MT, but will need to spend some time with it in Jan before forming a clear opinion.  :think:

(PST-II my December EDC)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #1494 on: December 25, 2019, 11:27:54 PM
Nice ones NKlamerus and Max  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #1495 on: December 25, 2019, 11:52:14 PM
Thanks Wim.
Just discovered the locking tabs hotspots when using the pliers.  >:(
I understand LM had to change the design so you can release the tools with the handles closed, but compared to the rounded end comfort of my Wave, the P2 is stepping backwards.
Can technical innovation take precedence over user comfort?  :dunno:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1496 on: December 26, 2019, 02:39:17 AM

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1497 on: December 26, 2019, 03:34:34 AM
Finally in the club

First major downfall is the lack of mini driver, already needed one for some glasses! (Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Nice  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1498 on: December 26, 2019, 03:34:55 AM
Joined the club today too...somehow not quite as excited as other LMs I’ve acquired. Maybe a little jaded from all the forum chatter this year. Still, a good MT, but will need to spend some time with it in Jan before forming a clear opinion.  :think:

(PST-II my December EDC)
:like: :cheers:

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #1499 on: December 26, 2019, 04:01:19 AM
Finally in the club

First major downfall is the lack of mini driver, already needed one for some glasses! (Image removed from quote.)
 :think:
:like: :cheers:
:iagree:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31