Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox vs Celidor for food chores.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Alox vs Celidor for food chores.
on: January 23, 2019, 10:22:07 PM
Do you have a preference?  I was sitting down to have a snack today, an apple.  I instinctively reached for my SI that I have on me vs my MT.  I have been leaning towards not using my Celidor SAK for food if I can help it.  I'll just carry Alox for those chores.  I feel I can wash the Alox out and not worry about crud getting behind the Celidor scales. 

Anyone feel the same? 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:28:39 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Alox vs Celidor for food chores.
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 10:26:24 PM
Yep. Only use alox but also only really carry alox.

In the few cases i carry non alox, usually something 111mm, I cut certain foods but try to be more careful to only use the front 2/3 of blade to not risk crud getting in the scales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 12:56:02 AM
I EDC a Vagabond/Manager, with Celidor scales.  And, I have not really given any thought to food getting behind the scales for two reasons.  I cut with the blade, fingers on the scale and wipe down the blade when done.  Second, I suspect that there is enough pocket lint behind the scales that there is not room for food to find much room and hopefully a good fresh water rinse handles flushes any build up.

I do use my OH Treker (111cm) for food work when outside, as I do like the serrated end of the blade of slicing and dicing chores in the field.

Fix blade for game prep, and large meat cuts.

Cheese is the worst regardless the blade however :think:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:19:13 AM
I only own 1 Alox & it is a shelf queen.  Cellar door on my champs. But they get washed at every food use.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 01:19:27 AM
I EDC a Vagabond/Manager, with Celidor scales.  And, I have not really given any thought to food getting behind the scales for two reasons.  I cut with the blade, fingers on the scale and wipe down the blade when done.  Second, I suspect that there is enough pocket lint behind the scales that there is not room for food to find much room and hopefully a good fresh water rinse handles flushes any build up.

I do use my OH Treker (111cm) for food work when outside, as I do like the serrated end of the blade of slicing and dicing chores in the field.

Fix blade for game prep, and large meat cuts.

Cheese is the worst regardless the blade however :think:

This.

I pay very close attention to cutting and make it a point not to go deeper than the blade kick. When done, the blade its a wash down and ry with a clean paper towel. Most foods only go about 2/3ds the way up the blade. If it's a really thick sandwich, I turn it over and cut halfway through from the bottom, then turn it right side up and cut down the top half. Works out great and never gets crud in the joint.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 01:43:53 AM
Like others have said, I use Celidor with care, I've never had concerns or anything negative happen

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 03:15:40 AM
I’ve never really thought of it...the SAK is a tool and is used as such. I do clean after food prep, and cleaning/wiping down after usage. Then again I try to take care of everything I own.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 06:51:28 AM
I may have been over thinking.  I've also been carrying my SI a lot recently.  I guess theres no documented illnesses from crud behind Celidor scales so alls good. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 07:46:52 PM
Food prep needs bigger blades!
I use a 130 for food prep when I'm camping.  No alox option there.
The Hunter Pro Alox looks good for that sort of thing, I hope they expand the 111 alox line a lot.   Gimme a Work champ Alox!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:48:26 PM by AndyTiedye »
R

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 03:13:38 AM
I prefer a 93 mm alox for food prep.. the little bit of added length on the blade really helps especially for things like apples and tomatoes and oranges.
Alox seems like it's easier to clean up as well
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 07:30:52 AM
 :tu: More blade is not a bad thing for food items.  I don't want to really over think it but I'd agree Alox just seems like the better choice for me.  No harm in carrying Alox and Celidor  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 02:58:31 PM
:tu: More blade is not a bad thing for food items.  I don't want to really over think it but I'd agree Alox just seems like the better choice for me.  No harm in carrying Alox and Celidor  :tu:.
:iagree: and when I’m not doing a challenge, I usually do carry both with me.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%