Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerPlier

J-sews · 48 · 8767

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
PowerPlier
on: February 26, 2007, 04:17:02 AM
Compound leverage is a feature now synonymous with SOG, but it wasn't always that way. Their first multitool to employ those little gears at the ends of the handles was the PowerPlier. Not to be confused with the smaller Pocket PowerPlier, the larger PowerPlier was a 4-1/2" tool designed in the mid-1990's to compete directly with rival Leatherman's Super Tool.

I can remember at the time thinking how marvelous and innovative the compound leverage system was. (It still is pretty remarkable, we've simply grown accustomed to it!) The PowerPlier is a big solid tool, and it came equipped with a full magazine load of TWELVE blades and drivers. Some of these blades, like that little knife blade in the next photo, are unlike any I've seen on SOG tools since.

Too bad none of these blades lock. The PowerLock series of tools, which replaced the PowerPlier, were the first multitools from SOG that included locking blades.

One thing I didn't care for very much on the first series of PowerPliers was the shape of the jaws. SOG calls these "flat nose" pliers, and its not hard to figure out where that name came from!  Later series of PowerPliers were built with jaws that took on a more conventional needlenose shape.

In the picture below, you can see how much larger the PowerPlier was compared to its little brother the Pocket PowerPlier. Both used similar construction techniques, like hex pivot bolts, and lightning holes in the handles.

You don't hear much talk about the PowerPlier these days. Newer tools are a lot more sophisticated and get all the attention, but this 10-year old design was a real attention getter in its time, and is an important step along the evolutionary path of today's tools.

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: PowerPlier
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:46:17 AM
Those plier heads definatley look...odd.  I'm glad they were changed for the PowerLock.

And what do lightning holes do (if anything)?  Make the handles flip open and closed faster?
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 04:48:09 AM
Nope, they're just for looks. I can't imagine they make any noticable difference in the weight of the tool.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 03:44:06 AM
I never have fully understood SOG's number designation system. The earlier tool, with the flat-nose pliers, was a PowerPlier F65. The later series of this tool, with needlenose pliers, is a PowerPlier S65.

Other differences: The later S65 had a polished finish and came equipped with fewer blades and drivers.
Camera download 060.jpg
* Camera download 060.jpg (Filesize: 70.16 KB)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 02:30:06 PM
Those plier heads definatley look...odd.  I'm glad they were changed for the PowerLock.

And what do lightning holes do (if anything)?  Make the handles flip open and closed faster?

They don't protect you from lightning.  They are there for "lightening" the tool.

- Terry

Offline supratentorial

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 04:54:46 PM

"The comfort grip handles are smooth on the outside and feature SOG’s classic ventilation holes for maximum gripping."  http://sogknives.com/store/S31.html

The quote refers to the Paratool but I suppose it also applies to the ventilation holes on their other tools as well.

Very nice review!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 05:00:54 PM by supratentorial »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 01:28:21 AM
Thanks supratentorial!

"The comfort grip handles are smooth on the outside and feature SOG’s classic ventilation holes for maximum gripping."  http://sogknives.com/store/S31.html

It must be the "maximum gripping" that SOG is referring to only applies when using the knife and drivers..........because when using the pliers, those "classic ventilation holes" are on the wrong side of the handles!  :)

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 02:54:33 AM
I've always found this tool interesting.

Those big honkin' "flat" plier jaws aren't very good for detail work, granted; but for coarser work, they're damn tough. You sure won't be breaking off the tips of those!

Personally, I wish SOG released their current tools in the stone-washed or tumbled finish of that original PowerPlier. It isn't as pretty when new, but if you actually use the tool, it feels more secure in the hand (less slick than the current mirror finish), and it hides the dents and scuffs and dings pretty well.

BTW, for those keeping score at home, the old-skool PowerPlier featured these unique implements:

• Small Knife Blade (sadly, not very useful with those big fat handles)
  • Chisel (looks like a large flat-blade screwdriver in the photos above)
  • Robertson (square) screwdriver -- weird since AFAIK Robertson fasteners are only common in Canada.

Other implement differences from current SOG tools, but seen on some older SOGs in my collection:

• Combination can opener / cap lifter. Current tools have two separate implements, with flat screwdrivers on the ends, as seen on Victorinox Swiss Army knives.
  • Separate large, medium and eyeglass-sized flat screwdrivers.

My only complaint about the old PowerPlier is that they don't "flip" easily: mine, as well as the other two I've had a chance to handle, have very stiff pivots.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 11:35:25 AM
Robertsons are very common in Canada, but you are right, I don't think that you see them many other places.  Which is too bad, because they are a very useful design and hard to strip.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 04:43:51 PM
Robertsons are very common in Canada, but you are right, I don't think that you see them many other places.  Which is too bad, because they are a very useful design and hard to strip.

Def

Robertsons are a better design.  Slotted and Phillips are more common in the US because they are cheaper to manufacture.

But Robertsons are popular among woodworkers.  The Kreg Pocket Hole system uses Robertsons.  For furniture, I usually just use conventional wood joints but I'll buy one of those systems if they ever go on clearance.

I think the Robertson driver is a good addition to the PowerPlier but of course its usefulness will totally depend on what types of fasteners you use.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 04:55:18 PM
I agree completely- it doesn't really matter what kind of screwdriver is better when you don't have a screw to fit it!

I do know a gentleman (one of those silly Canadians) who swears by SOG specifically because they are the only manufacturer to include a Robertson either standard or as an option, so it obviously is important to some folks.  I actually prefer (maybe you've noticed? :P ) models that take standard bits so I can carry whatever bits I think I might want or need.  To me, that's a heck of alot easier than searcing out a multi or modding one that has all the exact implements I need.

Especially nowadays with Torx bits and some of the other proprietary screw types out there, this seems to make alot of sense to me.  Having a Robertson is nice (for us Canuckleheads) but it's meaningless if one is looking at a T15 screw.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 12:20:35 AM
Y'know where I see Robertson screws almost exclusively? On motorhomes and campers and other RV's. My semi-retired father works part time as a maintenance guy at a campground (he gets a free lot on the water, the lucky bum). For whatever reason, it seems that these camping trailers and such are all put together with Robertson-drive fasteners.   

Offline joebw

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 11:53:48 PM
Hi Def,

Take a look at the Leatherman Tool Adaptor - It has both #1 & #2 Robertson bits.

Cheers - Joe

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 11:57:17 AM
If you act quick there's one for sale on eBay.

Link

That's all.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 11:59:34 AM

I'm using them a bit, once you get over the fact that it's just a square, they're actually kinda nifty. Plus they look nice and neat when you're done.

Are the Drivers much good on SOGs? maybe I should be chasing a Powerlock instead of a Supertool for my Heavy Duty user? (since, apparently, Supertool drivers are similar to the smurf ones on my PST)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 12:28:00 PM

Are the Drivers much good on SOGs? maybe I should be chasing a Powerlock instead of a Supertool for my Heavy Duty user? (since, apparently, Supertool drivers are similar to the smurf ones on my PST)

If it is any help, I traded away my Powerlock and then replaced it with a Supertool which, IMO, is better. 

I was put off of the Powerlock because of a number of reasons.  I didn't like the exposed gears (now not an issue in the second one) as they really cut into my hands.  I didn't like the covers (I know these could have been removed) as they made tool selection very slow. I didn't like the look of the scissors so ordered the V-cutter which I never really had a use for. There was a spacer where a tool could have been which I just didn't like the idea of (they could have put a robertson or something in there).  When butterfly opening the handles would bang the back of your knuckles if you weren't too carefull, although I suppose with some adjustment this could have been rectified.

All of the above problems are not found in the Supertool and that's why I prefer it.  I am sure many will disagree though! :D
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 02:30:15 PM

Def

I worked the trade shows all over usa and many times I needed Robertson bits, Canada makes a system of show booth/display that is very popular and of course uses the Robertson bit. So maybe they targeted people then (90's) who didn't always have those types of bits handy.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 02:59:12 PM
There's a story about a Canadian artist who was having a show in Paris and hired a company to ship his artwork there for him.  Just before he left he got a panicked call from the gallery saying they had no way of opening the crates because they were held together with some funny square headed screws.  They had contacted every hardware store within 150 miles of Paris and no one had even heard of such a thing!

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 03:09:52 PM
lol I've opened those crates! I think I still have some screws left. We used a pry bar, real quick :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 03:17:29 PM
Not a good idea when you need those crates to re-pack later!

Def

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 03:19:37 PM
Not a good idea when you need those crates to re-pack later!

Def

Nothing a bit of gaffer tape won't fix!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 03:22:08 PM
for some unexplained reason, no one had Robertson bits (not even the boss), and the exhibitor said bust it! so we did, and we were real careful (cough) and managed to re-pack everything after the show, like good little carpenters  :P

Offline cryptrick

Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 06:14:05 PM

If it is any help, I traded away my Powerlock and then replaced it with a Supertool which, IMO, is better. 

I was put off of the Powerlock because of a number of reasons.  I didn't like the exposed gears (now not an issue in the second one) as they really cut into my hands.  I didn't like the covers (I know these could have been removed) as they made tool selection very slow. I didn't like the look of the scissors so ordered the V-cutter which I never really had a use for. There was a spacer where a tool could have been which I just didn't like the idea of (they could have put a robertson or something in there).  When butterfly opening the handles would bang the back of your knuckles if you weren't too carefull, although I suppose with some adjustment this could have been rectified.

All of the above problems are not found in the Supertool and that's why I prefer it.  I am sure many will disagree though! :D

I disagree Benner!.... :D    Well to a certain extent as I haven't actually had a go with a Supertool before but they are now too old and aren't as strong and tough as the Powerlock ;)

I honestly do like the Powerlock as nobody comes close to matching its power. OK the flaps do get a bit annoying which is why I dont have them on. The only thing that I dont like is the clumping of the tools, but once you loosen it a bit its not too bad.
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 10:14:20 PM
they are now too old and aren't as strong and tough as the Powerlock
I own both and I wouldn't say that. The Powerlock is a more modern design with better ergonomics and better pliers but as far as pure toughness I can't rate it ahead of the Supertool.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 11:07:57 PM
I am glad you disagree Cryptrick!  :D

they are now too old and aren't as strong and tough as the Powerlock
I own both and I wouldn't say that. The Powerlock is a more modern design with better ergonomics and better pliers but as far as pure toughness I can't rate it ahead of the Supertool.

DTH is right.  I feel that due to the Supertools lack or ergonomics and any other luxuries, that this makes the Supertool just as tough, if not tougher, than the Powerlock.

It's not called the Supertool for nothing! :D

I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 11:09:22 PM

Is it because they come with detachable cloaks, and a set of glasses that make it look completely inconspicuous?!?
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 11:15:05 PM

Is it because they come with detachable cloaks, and a set of glasses that make it look completely inconspicuous?!?

Yeah, and it changes into a tool in a phone box.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 11:34:21 PM

It was a SuperTool....    in the early 90's :P ;)
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 11:40:21 PM

Yeah, back when things were made properly.  :P :D
I'm back!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 11:48:37 PM

Yeah, back when things were made properly.  :P :D

Yeah, very properly  ;) :P

[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79