Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rumored Discontinuations for 2023

us Online marlowe221

Rumored Discontinuations for 2023
on: December 31, 2022, 07:10:01 AM
I initially got this list from the Victorinox forum on Reddit. The real source is VictorinoxSpain, a Spanish-only speaking YouTuber who has had a lot of correct inside information in the past (I suspect he has a friend who works for a big authorized dealer in his country).

YouTube does a half-decent job of translating subtitles on the fly, so I was able to watch the video he did today and see the models he claims are being discontinued for 2023.

The List:

Signature 58mm

Executive 81 65mm

Tourist 84mm

Hiker Wood 91mm

Cybertool S 91mm

Camper with “camping” scales 91mm

Adventurer 111mm

Ranger Gardener Grip 13

A couple of these really sting for me, the Tourist and camping scales Camper, and I'm sure some of the other models will be sorely missed by others here. According to VictorinoxSpain, we will still see these models for sale brand new for a while as stock runs out but they will no longer be manufactured going forward.

This guy seems to give out solid information, by all accounts. So, we'll see I guess. Anyway, just thought I would pass this information along in case anyone has any Christmas money burning a hole in their pockets...

ca Offline Jazz

Re: Rumored Discontinuations for 2023
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 09:54:32 AM
Really depressing to see such nice, basic models going. Soon there’ll be no variety left. And, yet more models I own that can’t be replaced.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 12:40:09 PM
That’s a bummer to see the traveler go...

There was a rumor floating around here a few months ago about the cadet being discontinued. I’m not sure of its authenticity however it did cause me to run out and buy a red cadet.  :ahhh

It seems silly to me that they would discontinue the cadet as it’s so popular among just regular knife people  (let alone SAK people)  but I’ve since wondered if anyone else has heard this to be a possibility.  :think:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 03:53:39 PM
Signature 58mm- Seems like an odd one. They're still making Managers, so these aren't costing them much, and I feel like it's decently popular.

Executive 81 65mm- Makes sense. The Wenger is the same knife, but cooler, and I think this is the only one using this scale set.

Tourist 84mm- This feels like a shot across the bow for just killing the cellidor 84mm line. On the one hand, between the Alox 84s and the Evo 85s, they do seem a little redundant. On the other hand, I like them more than the Evos, so I'd be sad to see them go.

Hiker Wood 91mm- Like the Signature, I don't really get the why for this. They still make other 91 woods and Hikers, what does it cost them to make an occasional run with different scales?

Cybertool S 91mm- This one had the writing on the wall for a while. Prices shot up last year, and it's always felt like an odd model in the Cybertool line. Who wants to carry something as big as an Explorer and not even get scissors? Maybe this clears the way for a Cybertool refresh? Would love to see a Cyber Compact as the new small model.

Camper with “camping” scales 91mm- Again, not surprised. We went from having a half dozen metal inlays in the 90s to a pair of stamped ones today. Honestly, I thought this one was already gone. I wonder how long the Fish has left?

Adventurer 111mm- Odd to see this one go with the Picnicker still available (and even used as the base for one of the LR models this year).

Ranger Gardener Grip 13- Bummed to see any of Wenger's wacky fold out gadgets go, but I guess this one makes sense. Kind of a niche model, and the only one that uses the tool IIRC. Guess I should hop on getting a set of the Ranger pliers now before they go to.

Aside: I hadn't heard of Vic Spain until recently. Does this mean his leak of the box cutter "Companion" last month is probably true?

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 04:38:00 PM
I've not heard anything but then again; why would I  :dunno:

That said, earlier this month I went to the London Vic' store and asked to buy two Executive 81's.

They weren't on display and had to be retrieved from a drawer and they only had five (now three) so it would seem that at least these are on their way out  :think:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 05:58:26 PM
I'm a bit surprised about the Adventurer.  It's a solid knife and basically the same as a picknicker.  For some reason it has been quite inexpensive on Amazon for the past year, only about $37, and just recently dropped to $31.  Good time to pick one up if you don't have one.  The deletion of the Tourist gives me a little pang and I thought of getting one but it's so close to the Sportsman that I guess it's not worth it to me.  The Executive 81 is nice but I can see why they might eliminate it - pretty similar to a Classic. Good time to pick one up if you don't have any 65mm models.   The others don't do much for me so I guess I don't care.

us Online marlowe221

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 06:57:29 PM

[…]

Tourist 84mm- This feels like a shot across the bow for just killing the cellidor 84mm line. On the one hand, between the Alox 84s and the Evo 85s, they do seem a little redundant. On the other hand, I like them more than the Evos, so I'd be sad to see them go.

[…]

Camper with “camping” scales 91mm- Again, not surprised. We went from having a half dozen metal inlays in the 90s to a pair of stamped ones today. Honestly, I thought this one was already gone. I wonder how long the Fish has left?

[…]

Aside: I hadn't heard of Vic Spain until recently. Does this mean his leak of the box cutter "Companion" last month is probably true?

Tourist - I think you’re right on the money on the 84mm line. Over time, I have come to suspect that, since the Wenger acquisition, Victorinox would like to wave a magic wand and have the 84mm line quietly disappear. After all, they now have an entire factory that makes 85mm knives!

Meanwhile, the 84mm line has done nothing but shrink. I hate to lose the Tourist but I can also see the argument that the more popular Spartan is right there and most people will probably not care about (or even see) the 7mm difference between the two models. Of course, the Tinker Small is still there but maybe it’s association with the Cub Scouts will save it for a while?

I worry more about models that don’t have 91mm counterparts like the Sportsman, Recruit, and Walker. I suppose they could introduce 91mm versions?

Camper - Yeah, this one doesn’t surprise me either. The fish is probably living on borrowed time!

VicSpain - I have only recently heard about him myself. But from what I’ve seen and heard it seems to be pretty safe to believe him.  :dunno:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 05:27:06 AM
The Victorinox Spain guy has some good information and has given the Wiki some great photos -
But I dont believe everything he says and he has started some pretty wild rumours

Also I think Victorinox Spain is a youtuber calling himself Victorinox Spain ..... as opposed to Victorinox - in Spain

us Online marlowe221

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 07:54:18 AM
Yeah, that’s why I made sure the word “rumor” was in the thread title! Because it’s possible that not all of this is true and I certainly hope it’s not.

I guess the question is when/how will we know? Does Victorinox announce discontinuations at all? Or do things just go out of stock and never come back?

That said, discontinuing some models makes sense - models that have unique parts but don’t sell well, models that are essentially duplicates of other more popular models, overlapping models from the Wenger acquisition, etc.

Still, I hate to see any of them go!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 08:08:45 AM by marlowe221 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69