Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One for my fellow nerds out there

Poll

Who was the best Kingpin in your mind, and why?

Vincent D'onofrio (Netflix)
2 (66.7%)
Micheal Clarke Duncan (Movie)
1 (33.3%)
John Rhys-Davies (Trial of the Incredible Hulk)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
One for my fellow nerds out there
on: October 01, 2019, 12:41:10 AM
It's easy to say which Daredevil was best- Charlie Cox brings DD to life on Netflix and really does justice (no pun intended) to both sides of the character.

Ben Affleck was too.... Affleck-y and no one even remembers who played The Man Without Fear in the Trial of the Incredible Hulk, so that's too easy to judge.

However, the Kingpin is a much more complex and amazing character, and the three times he has been brought to life have all been treats for those of us that can appreciate a proper baddie.

Vincent D'onofrio is a great actor, and he really got lost in the part, perhaps making the most accurate to the comic Kingpin.  He is the absolute embodiment of "guy you don't smurf with" as the Russians found out.  If there is a failing, it's that he doesn't seem as manipulative as he was in the comic, but then as the DD series progressed, we did see him getting more and more so, and I see that part developing in the character.

Michael Clarke Duncan may have been up against Affleck, but I was impressed with how well he portrayed the Kingpin as well.  Perhaps not a comic book accurate rendition (MCD was a bit more touchy than I think a man in that position would be, but then a man who considers himself untouchable and powerful may just do whatever the heck he wants.  I feel like there was a bit more personality to this version of the Kingpin.

John Rhys-Davies is an exceptional actor, and, as far as I am concerned, was the most memorable part of the TV movie with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.  He didn't have a lot of screen time, but you could tell he was a force to be reckoned with, even if he was defeated within an hour, as per 80's TV formula.  I would have been VERY happy to see him come back and reprise the role in the current MCU, although, to be honest, I would be very happy to see any of them back, even though MCD is no longer with us.

Those are my thoughts.  I am not sure I could pick my favorite, as I loved them all.... which is why i thought I would start this poll.

Thoughts?

And does anyone even recall the Trial of the Incredible Hulk, or is this a two horse race for many of you?  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: One for my fellow nerds out there
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 03:52:49 AM
I know John Rhys-Davies from The Lord of Rings and other movies, but no idea what Trial of the Incredible Hulk is.  :dunno:

Not a big fan of the Daredevil franchise and hate Ben Affleck. Guess I just wanted to post a reply because no one else had yet  :rofl:

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 07:21:30 AM
Vincent really added serious depth to the character...in some ways making him a sympathetic character, then later bombing us with his ruthless side. That was what was great about the series...it had time to build that. Heck, at the beginning, there were times when I was actually thinking, "Maybe he isn't so bad after all." Especially when they show his devotion to Vanessa. Charlie Cox did knock it out of the park with his portrayal. I was really impressed.

Ok, so now I am going to present my neck for a royal good choppin', but I gotta say, Affleck may have been the Daredevil none of us wanted, but he is my favorite Batman BY FAR. I know a lot of people really brooded over him being chosen for the part, but I felt like it was the best character, stuck in a mediocre franchise. My two pennies.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 03:46:11 PM
Make yourself comfortable on the chopping block  :D

Ben Affleck ruined the Batman franchise once again after Nolan had resurrected it from the ashes. Just my two cents.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 07:47:38 PM
Nolan had resurrected Batman and then ruined it all over again.  The third movie was quite awful.  Bane is such an awesome villain, and I would love to see someone actually portray him properly, and not as some idiot in a gimp mask.  Let's not forget that he actually defeated Batman in the Knightfall series, where Bane was first introduced.

As for Affleck, I personally think he is a worse Batman than he was a Daredevil, although credit where credit is due, he makes a decent enough older Bruce Wayne.  I absolutely despise him as Batman, but a lot of that could also be due to the very poor writing in the modern DC movies.

And, not to defend Affleck, but I have to say that I think he was a better choice to play Batman than Jesse Eisenberg was to play Lex Luthor.   I think I would rather see the Rock play Wesley Crusher in a Star Trek Next Generation reboot.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 03:14:47 AM
I agree that Nolan’s third movie was not very good, yet it is still not the worst Batman movie of all times. He also did, at least in my opinion, the best Batman movie of all times, so I can forgive him  ;)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 04:34:22 AM
Well you brought up two great actors...no doubt about that.
John Rhys-Davies in the Indie moves and others are always good.
Michael Clarke Duncan was great as the Kingpin. Great in the Green Mile. I miss him. Shame his life here was short.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 01:35:03 PM
I agree that Nolan’s third movie was not very good, yet it is still not the worst Batman movie of all times. He also did, at least in my opinion, the best Batman movie of all times, so I can forgive him  ;)

I couldn't agree more.... there were much worse Batman movies.... just ask George Clooney.   :facepalm:

Well you brought up two great actors...no doubt about that.
John Rhys-Davies in the Indie moves and others are always good.
Michael Clarke Duncan was great as the Kingpin. Great in the Green Mile. I miss him. Shame his life here was short.

As much as I loved JRD as the Kingpin, he will always be Salla in my mind, even more than Gimli!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%