Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another decent Kobalt tool??? Yes

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Another decent Kobalt tool??? Yes
on: May 05, 2009, 08:23:18 AM
I dropped by Lowes on my way to work the other day and spotted this Kobalt tool.

Being a fan of the larger Kobalt tool(Here and Here) I had the grab it's little brother and give it a try. Being on clearance for $9 doesn't hurt either. I have to say I am again pleasantly surprised.

Smaller than the plier based tool this one features a really nice pair of spring loaded scissors. I was really surprised how well made and sharp the scissors are. I was able to cut through the clam pack that the tool came in with no problems. The spring back system works very good and the rubber handle inserts make handling the tool easy. Being bigger than a LM Micra it's to big for keychain carry but disappears in your pocket. Having carried it for the last couple of days I have to say that the scissors work and cut better than the Micra ones.

The inside implements are similar to the larger KT just on a smaller scale. The knife blade is sharp out of the box. I used it to open some mail and cut open some box's. I performed as expected for a tool it's size. The nail cleaner/file also worked well. Although I like the Micra nail file better. I never tried out the can opener but the bottle opener was easy to use when opening some Yoohoo for my step son and I today. :cheers: The flat heads should work well for light tasks. The phillips driver is usually the true test for a made in China tool. Most of the times the driver won't fit any screws, slip and are poorly made. However once again this plillips driver is well made and fit most of the screws I tried.

I really like this little Kobalt tool. The scissors work great and it's worth carrying for them alone but the inside implements work fine. And for the price you can't go wrong. Another thing to mention is that Lowes will replace any Kobalt band tool that breaks. Just bring the tool back to the store for a replacement. I recommend this little guy for anyone looking for some really good scissors in a small package.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:24:54 AM by prime77 »
"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Another decent Kobalt tool??? Yes
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:42:14 AM
Good review mate.  :tu: 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:27:52 AM
Nice review mate :tu:
[

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 03:06:55 PM
Good review.  I've not seen them over here at all. I wonder if they're rebadged as something else.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 04:27:57 PM
Prime thanks for that review.I don't go into Lowe's much ,but I could well make it a point to go there soon.I could  find a ready home for a couple.If Kobalt would come out with a pliers based tool that size and same quality,they'd have a winner.
I

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 04:53:17 PM
nice review, I've never seen that brand up here in Canada.  Too bad I might pick one up.  Canadian Tire up here has the Gerber Solstice on for less than $10 so I picked one up.  It's a neat little tool but I find for me it has the Paratool thing going on and is way too fiddly for my paws.  This one though looks quite nice with the blue rubber inserts and basic tool selection.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 06:14:30 PM
Great review and piccies mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 01:58:27 AM
I used to see these things on ebay from time to time, but there was always something else to spend my money on. I wish I'd picked one up now - great review prime - thanks for that :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 04:12:33 AM
Thanks guys. Don't let the fact that this little tool isn't made by one of the big companies keep you away from trying it. It's a good little tool with a great pair of scissors.
"

Offline Wetdog

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 05:36:05 PM
This is available as a plier based tool and right now it is on clearance for $5.98!!!!!!   :ahhh
Plus, you get scissors too, and a linerlock knife in the pack.  For $5.98!!  This could be the best pocket tool ever!
147.JPG
* 147.JPG (Filesize: 69.75 KB)

Offline Wetdog

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:31:10 PM
After some time looking at this here is what you get:
pliers
wire cutters
scissors
philips driver
folding lanyard ring
bottle opener/"large" flathead/prybar (like a mini version of the vic tool)
file
small flathead
a sharp awl/scraper type thing
plain edge blade
Obviously not the same quality as a juice but a lot of the same tools as an XE6 in a slightly smaller package.  Not bad for 6 bucks!

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 10:29:46 PM
This is available as a plier based tool and right now it is on clearance for $5.98!!!!!!   :ahhh
Plus, you get scissors too, and a linerlock knife in the pack.  For $5.98!!  This could be the best pocket tool ever!

I have to keep an eye out for that variation. How well do the scissors work?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:31:21 PM by prime77 »
"

Offline rockyman500

Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:42:43 PM
looks a lot like Juice scissors...
[

Offline Wetdog

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 11:15:52 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
I have to keep an eye out for that variation. How well do the scissors work?
The scissors are sharp and cut through the clampack the tool came in though not as easily as bigger scissors did.  Their small size will be the limiting factor in what they can handle.  But they are constructed like the juice scissors so that gives them a little extra strength to make up for the small size.  Also the small awl looking tool is described as a "drop point blade" and it is very sharp and tore through the clamshell with ease.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%