Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New smartphone from Energizer

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New smartphone from Energizer
on: February 27, 2019, 01:29:09 PM
Battery and flashlight manufacturer Energizer has entered the phone market, and I have to say that this is absolutely the Droid I am looking for.  It is the Droid I have been begging for ever since smartphones were a thing.  Here's a link to Popular Mechanics talking about it.

Coming from Energizer, a company that literally invented batteries, you would expect it to have a goodly amount of power, right?  How about a standby time of 50 days?  That's not a typo... FIFTY smurfing days!   :ahhh

Or, TWO FULL DAYS of video.  Yup, you could watch the entire Lord Of The Rings and the Hobbit non stop on your phone and still have half your battery left.

It is so powerful with it's 18,000 mah battery that it doesn't need a power bank- it is a power bank.  Yup, it has so much juice that you can use your phone to power other devices as well.  To put that in perspective, my phone, a Samsung Galaxy A8 has a 3,000 mah battery, and I am lucky if I have any juice left at the end of a typical day.  The iPhone X has a 2600 mah battery.

There are drawbacks though- it is as thick as three ordinary phones, and probably weighs at least as much as three normal phones.  And, because of the HUGE capacity of the battery, it takes a full 8 hours to charge to full from empty.

It also has six cameras on board, runs Android OS and doesn't seem to be that popular amongst the general media because it doesn't it in the pockets of their skinny jeans.  Poor muffins.  Wouldn't want them to look silly while sitting in Starbucks, cranking out judgements on products they haven't handled or used on their Macbook Air while drinking ice mocha latte fruity cappuccino half fraps while wearing wool caps on a hot summer day.   :facepalm:

For people that actually work for a living, I think it would be a fantastic option and I would rather carry a slightly thicker phone if it meant that I didn't have to charge it constantly.  Besides, the extra size doesn't seem like the end of the world when it means that you don't have to also carry a battery bank everywhere.

For example- I was on a job a few days ago that ran long.  As I was hanging out inside the cargo hold of a ship (not much to look at or do) I was passing the time by foruming, Facebooking, texting Megan and Micah etc, as anyone would do.  When it came time to actually do the job my battery was largely toast, and in fact I had to delay the end of the job by 10-15 minutes so I could charge my phone enough to take some pictures.  I was kicking myself for not having also brought my tablet to work as a backup, just in case, but again, I am pretty sure a phone that is 3x the size of a normal phone is easier than having to carry a phone and a tablet. 

But, that leads me to perhaps the only real drawback I have.  All my phones spend their entire lives in Otterbox cases.  I tried going a couple of days without a case with my last phone and I think that lasted almost 3 days until I needed a new phone.   :facepalm:

Will a case make this new Energizer phone even bulkier?  Or will the extra couple of millimeters of case around the phone be overshadowed by the size of the phone itself?

Also, will the phone itself be waterproof?  I pretty much expect that from any phone on the market these days, and I don't see why this one would be any different, but you never know...

Either way, I am looking forward to trying this one out!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: New smartphone from Energizer
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:57:50 PM
Sounds great! Android is a deal breaker for me though. If I wanted a tracking device, I'd be a criminal. That way you get to be tracked 24/7 for free.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 04:05:28 PM
Sounds great! Android is a deal breaker for me though. If I wanted a tracking device, I'd be a criminal. That way you get to be tracked 24/7 for free.

I'm not too worried about that TBH.  If I was, I probably wouldn't have a phone at all.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 05:00:04 PM
Specs are sub-par and it is huge... with that size you can easily carry a modern phone and a powerbank (e.g. an Anker powercore)
energizer.jpg
* energizer.jpg (Filesize: 36.28 KB)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 05:01:41 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 09:53:23 PM
I agree probably better alternatives out there already. The LG Charge X  for instance has pretty impressive battery.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/357829/lg-x-charge

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 11:19:46 PM
Specs are sub-par and it is huge... with that size you can easily carry a modern phone and a powerbank (e.g. an Anker powercore)

I figured it may not be cutting edge spec.  Coming from Energizer it is reminding me of the Casio G'Zone or whatever it was called- the G Shock phone they came out with.

I don't need super hot spec.  It's nice to have but I don't game on my phone (or at least I am pretty sure that Freecell is not too hard on the GPU) and I rarely watch videos on it.  My A8 is hardly cutting edge spec and it does well enough.  With six cameras I am assuming the spec will be good enough for what I need, which is basically surfing, emails, camera, and basic stuff like a calculator, unit converter etc.  Nothing too heavy.

Whether this one is right or not, I really like the direction, and I hope this one is successful so that we get similar models next year with better features.

I am really loving the Galaxy Fold, but I have to wonder how deadly three normal screens (one ordinary, one double sized) are going to be on a battery?  And, at $2k, I doubt I will find out, but I would love to see that tech take off too.  Maybe combine the two?  It seems like the Energizer's battery is just what the Fold needs!  :D

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 10:54:31 AM
You'd think that rather than keep making new phones "0.1mm thinner!" than the previous model each 6 months had they just made better and better batteries rather than the same capacity thinner we'd have pretty good phones right now. That one might be a tad overboard.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 01:28:05 PM
Samsung used to make the Active line with larger battery (and a tougher case), but I think they no longer do that (no S9 active and no indication of an S10 active).

The Energizer phone is said to cost $680, that is quite a hefty price you can get a phone with similar specs for less than half that... leaving enough money for a powerbank.

The Galaxy Fold (and its competitors from Huawai and Xiaomi) look interesting, but I'm unwilling to pay that much. I'm however very curious how durable those are and of course where this leads.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 10:49:50 AM
I'll be upgrading to Oukitel K10 soon, 11000mAh battery and nicer specs than my current K10000... Also ~50g lighter  ::)
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 11:42:29 AM
This got me thinking why hasn't someone combined a phone case, backup battery and wireless charging... and it turns out a company called Mophie has developed something with an extra ~3300mAh, but seems to be mostly Apple and high end Samsung Galaxy models only, probably because those devices natively have wireless charging. My current phone doesn't, whereas my previous one did.

I'm also seeing other wired battery pack covers that add 7000mAh to phones like Grant's A8. Shame that it would also replace the protective case... so the choice then becomes more power or protection.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 07:23:25 PM
My new Oukitel K10 arrived yesterday...

Even though it's physically larger than the old K10000, it's actually 50g lighter  :)

Better specs, 11000mAh battery instead of 10000mAh, blah blah blah  :D

It's a huge black monolith and I love it for that  ::)

I'll get better pics some time...
"Hoarder of weirdness,

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 12:16:31 PM
Looks pretty cool!

I can't wait to hear what you think of it once you start using it!

Def

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 06:20:42 PM
Just waiting for the new sim, the old one has a micro-sim, new one wants a nano-sim :facepalm:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 06:33:50 PM
is it not break out (my last sim included all sizes?)

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 07:11:21 PM
is it not break out (my last sim included all sizes?)

Not to nano size unfortunately, it's a few years old sim  :-\
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 07:13:35 PM
Funny thing is, I could have used it in my original Nokia 1611, as it had the credit card size :rofl:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 11:49:35 AM
I see Motorola finally released the G7 Power model with a 5000mAh battery

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%