Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Paying a premium for 1095?

Aloha · 117 · 4675

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Paying a premium for 1095?
Reply #90 on: February 09, 2020, 05:34:17 PM
After 18 years on different forums and numerous of these type of threads. If this wasnt on MTO we would most likely be in a flame war between the rednecks and the data driven scientific approach folks. Over the years I've found this quote by Sal Glesser to hold much truth.

"Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts" Sal Glesser.         

:D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #91 on: February 09, 2020, 06:09:17 PM
According to the old catalogs your knife went for around $27 in the late 1970's

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Catalogs/

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #92 on: February 09, 2020, 07:35:07 PM
Thanks Steve.  So a quick internet search means that this knife would be 185ish in todays market.  Interesting. 

@David, sadly so.  We can be as passionate as we want however I have always tried to, in matters like these, be unemotional.  I don't receive any royalty from steel companies nor knife companies so its all just interesting talk to me.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #93 on: February 09, 2020, 08:20:46 PM
I think Dean is going to be especially missed any time a question about steel comes up  :-\

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #94 on: February 09, 2020, 08:22:20 PM
Thanks Steve.  So a quick internet search means that this knife would be 185ish in todays market.  Interesting. 

Wow,  makes GEC's seem like a bargain  :D

us Offline David

Reply #95 on: February 09, 2020, 08:40:07 PM

@David, sadly so.  We can be as passionate as we want however I have always tried to, in matters like these, be unemotional.  I don't receive any royalty from steel companies nor knife companies so its all just interesting talk to me.   
[/quote]

I've liked, had and used knives since I was young and consider myself to be a steel junkie and borderline edge junkie.   :think:     :D      I dont communicate very well on a keyboard and tend to make blunt statements that are often taken the wrong way and tend to make a lot of people mad. So I dont usually get to involved in certain types of discussions for sake of peace.      :D       
Hold Fast

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #96 on: February 09, 2020, 08:50:53 PM
I like knives
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #97 on: February 09, 2020, 09:02:46 PM
It was funny that the BK62 came up in this thread. I have always felt that the Becker knives are some of the best 1095 values out there. I love the edge profile they provide probably more than any other fixed blade knives...but I agree that the price on the BK62 seems a bit...contrived. Sadly, it is probably a case of paying for a name (in this case Kephart).

us Offline David

Reply #98 on: February 09, 2020, 09:31:27 PM
I think Dean is going to be especially missed any time a question about steel comes up  :-\

Yes    :cry:
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #99 on: February 10, 2020, 12:42:16 AM
I understand David and respect.  I am not one to get offended easily in real life and certainly not on the internet.  I enjoy the conversations we have as a group and especially guys with a hell of a lot more experience with knives than me. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

Reply #100 on: February 10, 2020, 12:56:56 AM
I sometimes think we, as a society, have become lost when it comes to the art of conversation and respectful disagreement. One of my former workmates and I would often get into fairly heated discussions about a variety of subjects. To casual observers, it might have seemed we did not even like each other. The funny part was that we would be in one of these arguments and he or I would look at our watch and suddenly stop arguing and say, "Hey, it's lunch time..let's go grab some food." It was like the conversation took a 180. He and I had discussed early on that we had great respect for the other's viewpoint, even if we did not agree. Many times I found myself researching things he told me and it educated me a lot because none of us are right all the time.

I love this forum because it does not turn into the OK Corral with every discussion like I have experienced elsewhere.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: February 10, 2020, 09:26:59 AM
I immediately thought about this thread when we got the sad news.......

I sometimes think we, as a society, have become lost when it comes to the art of conversation and respectful disagreement.

This is sad but true, and if you are not willing to be proven wrong you stop learning

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #102 on: April 13, 2021, 07:02:36 PM
Thinking of Dean today. 

Dean, I have always enjoyed this thread.  I am so grateful for your input here and other parts of the forum.  Since this thread I have acquired many knifes in 1095 well within my price point.  I  have one in particular I think you'd like.  Its a Robeson that for some reason ( edge angle and heat treat ) that is so flipping sharp.  I've also picked up some blades in SS and while its nice not "worrying" about them ( I'm talking trads ) I am loving my 1095 trads more. 

I picked up a wonderful fixed blade that was likely a skinner.  It doesn't have a name that I can make out.  Its a lovely blade in 1095 that did need some diamond plates to get a burr.  This sucker came up wonderfully and is a really nice knife. 

I have also picked up a few GECs.   The fit and finish is nice but since I have nothing at this price point to compare I'll reserve my thoughts on whether they are the cats pajamas.  They are terrific and I do love the fit and finish on them.  Funny enough one in particular my Pemberton is my favorite.  I love this little knife. 

Missing you today my friend. 
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: April 13, 2021, 08:56:30 PM
I've just read the whole thread, and what a nice read it was  :tu: I didn't know Dean too long but he's truly missed  :salute:
I feel I'm just in the beginning of understanding the whole thing about knifes and steels. And since the missus got more and more used to them over the last 2-3 years I've just got my first Buck 110 and S30V and CPM-20CV steels.
Oh, and thanks Aloha for linking that video about adjusting the Lansky system  :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:49:23 PM by McStitchy »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #104 on: April 13, 2021, 10:03:58 PM
 :tu:.  I love a good vibrant conversation and I think we all did a good job at not attacking.  We certainty won't or don't have to agree on everything but I do appreciate how each person respected each others thoughts/opinions.  I certainly learned a lot.  Dean was so knowledgeable as are the others who chimed in.  I learn so much when the conversation is back and forth.  I thought of him today as I loaded my pockets with 1095  8)

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #105 on: April 14, 2021, 07:01:16 AM

I feel I'm just in the beginning of understanding the whole thing about knifes and steels.

Good grief, me too. I hardly know anything about different types of steel.

I know there's stainless steel, and what must be stainful steel. Personally, I don't like anything that's going to rust. I've had a lot of rusty carbon steel knives over time. I've hardly ever paid any attention to what the characteristics of different steels are. You mean there is more than one kind of stainless? Evidently. Ok, I'm being a little facetious. But to me, I never really care what type of steel a knife is made out of. Should I? I care more about the reputation of the company, the utility of the design, where it was made, and how stoutly it is constructed. I like something that feels solid and dependable in my hand. The type of stainless it is, or the type of carbon steel it is, doesn't much matter to me. If the manufacturer has a good reputation, then I trust them to have figured out what kind of steel the knife ought to have.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #106 on: April 14, 2021, 03:50:54 PM
 :tu: what's worked for you is what's best.  There are a lot of wonderful steels available for knife makers.  Some folks just like having the latest materials.  1095 is tried and true and loved by many including myself.  Technology has helped dialing the heat treatment really getting everything out of it. I'm still learning and enjoy trying different steels.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: April 15, 2021, 02:17:45 AM
:tu: what's worked for you is what's best.  There are a lot of wonderful steels available for knife makers.  Some folks just like having the latest materials.  1095 is tried and true and loved by many including myself.  Technology has helped dialing the heat treatment really getting everything out of it. I'm still learning and enjoy trying different steels.

I'm sure many of us will continue to learn a lot more about the different kinds of steels used in knife work as we continue together on the forum.

Speaking of which.

Do you know if there's a thread where people teach or discuss about the different kinds of steel used for knives, and kind of list them all out and talk about their characteristics? That would be nice if somebody knowledgeable in that area could do it....
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: April 15, 2021, 08:44:38 AM
I'm not sure if there's a thread like that Jim.
But this is at least a nice list with a brief description to each steel...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials#Stainless_steel

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #109 on: April 15, 2021, 09:03:45 AM
https://knifesteelnerds.com/categories/

That should entertain you for a few hours
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: April 15, 2021, 02:55:20 PM
I'm not sure if there's a thread like that Jim.
But this is at least a nice list with a brief description to each steel...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials#Stainless_steel

Thanks!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #111 on: April 15, 2021, 07:25:54 PM

Indeed  :o   Thanks for this dks  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #112 on: April 15, 2021, 10:41:46 PM

Yup this is a great site but whoa theres a lot of info. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #113 on: January 02, 2023, 05:12:12 PM
Not sure why I'm thinking about Dean today.  This was long over due tho. 

I picked up my first trad with "premium" steel.  I probably have a equal mix of SS and 1095 or similar steels.  I like having both and tend to use my 1095 for all things while I use my SS typically for foods.  I wont say I don't use my 1095 for food but since I have SS I lean on it for that.

I really love this TB Stockman for many reason other than the steel.  The steel is a very nice addition and if it didn't have a "premium" steel I'm not sure I would have bought it  :think:.  I got it for a great price IMO.  Having three 154CM blades and limited made the buy easy. 

I am laughing at myself a little.  Since I pushed my tolerable amount spent ( I said $150 and upwards on a trad with 1095 was a lot ) I now think $200 is about my threshold for a 1095 trad  :whistle:.  My do things change  :D.  Hey I posted in 2019 so give me a little break. 

Dean, I miss you in times like these.  I enjoyed our conversations and your insights. 

Heres to you my friend. 

* IMG_7289.jpg (Filesize: 195.33 KB)

* IMG_7290.jpg (Filesize: 124.9 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #114 on: January 03, 2023, 05:35:59 AM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #115 on: January 03, 2023, 04:49:30 PM
Thanks for bringing this thread back up, Aloha  :tu:  :cheers:

I plan to read it more thoroughly this evening. I have read enough so far to know that I really missed out by never having the chance to interact with Dean  :-[

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #116 on: January 03, 2023, 05:07:50 PM
 :tu:

Everyone in this thread was awesome.  I was early in my knowledge of trads.  I still am.  I do feel $200 is about the ceiling for ME for a trad with 1095.  I'm not talking hard to find "rare" oldies.  I also understand the second hand market jack prices up.   

Not pooping on 1095 either.   

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44