Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The can opener

Valkie · 41 · 2043

au Offline Valkie

Re: The can opener
Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 04:00:06 AM
Well, I do seem to be an anomilie.

Ill have to find a can and open it, just to see how it goes.

The problem is that in our house, the little missus takes umbridge at anything out of a can.

We have an electric can opener that was given to us on our wedding day 39 years ago, its been used perhaps 10 times, maybe.

She likes to cook fresh with fresh food and when we go camping we still eat fresh food and lots of fish that we catch.

I went through the pantry just last night and found 3 cans out of 7 that didn't have a ring pull.
One I threw out, it was over 5 years old.
One was pineapple juice, that uses a different kind of opener.
One was coconut milk, same as above.

It was actually quite an eye opener, my missus just don't use cans.
Looks like Ill have to buy a can to test it
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 07:13:04 AM
I use the Vic can opener all the time, and like it, I'm not a fan of the combo tool though, it uses a pulling motion that feels wrong to me, I'm a 2 layer opener guy all the way
 :climber:

+1.

I use it all the time, though more often for screws and light prying, and occasionally for cans.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 08:51:57 AM
It is a magnificent tool. I couldn't be without it. I have three frequent uses for it.

It is by far my favourite can opener of any kind. Not necessarily for always being the fastest or always making the neatest cuts - with good technique and luck it can achieve both those things - but also for being reliable and simply pleasurable to use.

It is my main Phillips driver whenever a dedicated screwdriver isn't close enough at hand.

It is the ideal tool for extracting spitter connectors from irrigation lines. Just work the cutout of the opener under the flange of the connector, and lever it out. Easy peasy. My workmates without SAKs faff about with pliers and screwdrivers that have to be got from a distance and that can wreck the connectors if they're otherwise reusable.

I use it as a hook now and then.
:salute:
Rambler

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 01:42:50 PM
Valkie
I open juice cans regularly with the Vic, on the pour side open it an inch then pry it back with the bottle opener to give a spout, then vent the opposite side with a single slice  :tu:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:45:58 PM by Greg Jones »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: February 04, 2019, 02:48:21 PM

The problem is that in our house, the little missus takes umbridge at anything out of a can.

Excellent!

Here in the states, canned tomato paste is more common than tomato paste in a tube. Apparently canning tomato paste is an American thing. I prefer the convenience of the tube-type tomato paste (usually Italian).  But the tubed stuff is expensive, so I always have a can of canned tomato paste on hand for soups, stews, and sauces.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 02:58:29 PM

Excellent!

Here in the states, canned tomato paste is more common than tomato paste in a tube. Apparently canning tomato paste is an American thing. I prefer the convenience of the tube-type tomato paste (usually Italian).  But the tubed stuff is expensive, so I always have a can of canned tomato paste on hand for soups, stews, and sauces.
You mean, something like this...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: February 04, 2019, 09:05:30 PM
 :tu:  good stuff. No can open required......

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 04, 2019, 09:39:13 PM
One of the best uses for the Vic can opener is removing screws with stripped threads due to over tightening or corrosion.  Start by working the blade under the edge of the screw head while turning it with another driver.  Then continue turning and prying outward untill you can get the hook under the screw head adding even more outward pull untill you reach good threads.  I've used that technique 100's of times to pull screws other guys gave up on.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #38 on: February 04, 2019, 10:04:44 PM
Great tip  :like: :tu:

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #39 on: February 04, 2019, 10:09:39 PM
It’s a great multi-purpose scraper, light pry bar, screwdriver, and it can open cans too. It’s probably my most used tool. I won’t carry a SAK without it.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 06:12:36 PM
House brands (often with regional chains) and smaller, regional brands typically do not have pull-tops from my experience. Just used my Bantam's combo tool to open a quite heavy gauge 28 ounce can of Allen's brand Italian Cut green beans and it worked well (first time I've ever used a combo tool on anything other than a German Army Knife), though I think the stress I was putting on that little knife was a bit borderline (and my Bantam is an older Ecoline model with the Swiss Federal emblem as a shield,  it probably only has the three pins, not four).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:26:48 PM by cody6268 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD