Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

old style wave sheaths back?

Offline minnesnowtah

old style wave sheaths back?
on: December 10, 2008, 04:32:34 AM
sorrry for many a wave post but i am kind of a fan. but did anybody know that the old style sheath is back for sale on leatherman.com? and if anyone bought one is it made of the new lower quality leather that the 04 wave sheaths are made of? just thought i'd ask.

minnesnowtah
"

Offline Biru

Re: old style wave sheaths back?
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:29:18 PM
I don't know about the new ones, but the leather sheath with my original Wave has to be one of the best sheaths I've ever had. I wonder if Leatherman made them, or contracted out? They're much finer quality (complete envelope, better leather, sewn rather than riveted) than the black Leatherman sheaths.

I need to check the site out.

Thanks, Bill.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:11:15 PM
I kinda hate to burst your dream of the old Brown leather sheathes coming back. But I think they are gone forever. Very unfortunate too I really loved the old brown ones.
S

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 10:46:10 PM
They have them for sale on the LM website! They're six bucks!  :pok:
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 10:52:00 PM
The Old brown ones? Cool!!
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 11:00:31 PM
Yeah, I wonder if they found old stock or something? Link- http://store.leatherman.com/shop/shop.aspx?category=6
B

Offline tanker

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:59:01 AM
oh! I didn´t know the new leatherman sheaths were not so good as the old ones, but yes is true the old Wave´s leather sheath is top quality :multi:
T

Offline minnesnowtah

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 03:28:26 AM
the website pic of the sheath looks like a cross between the old style wave sheath and a PST sheath. (diagonal "leatherman" print). but the pic looks like shotty leather to me.
"

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 03:30:12 AM
I have that same sheath, it is EXCELLENT!
B

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 03:45:30 AM
I have one of the sheaths shown on the Leatherman site - and they are OK. I think when I got mine the colour wa sdescribed as "tan". The original leather sheath that came with the old Wave was a much deeper brown colour, and although the leather on the "remake" seems similar quality, the stitching doesn't look to be as good.

Oh - and I just tried - you can't get the New Wave in it either!

I used to come here a lot.

Offline minnesnowtah

Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 03:51:34 AM
my old wave sheath fits my new wave but it is also 8 years old i would believe the remake sheaths would have to be stretched out.
"

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 03:56:49 AM
my old wave sheath fits my new wave but it is also 8 years old i would believe the remake sheaths would have to be stretched out.

Maybe - but it looks like it might need to stretch a hell of a lot. I had a good old try to wedge one in there and stopped before I did damage. It also says on the LM site that it won't fit the new Wave model.

It's a shame the new sheaths are rubbish, although the new Wave does fit nicely in the Charge sheath - which is a very nice sheath. Having said that I like the new nylon Wave sheath, it's just the leather that seems to be poor.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 03:58:46 AM
My New Wave fits in my brown Classic Wave sheath too! It is hard to get out, but it fits! I got the sheath second hand..
B

Offline minnesnowtah

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 04:04:21 AM
the charge sheath you say? hmmm...and is this a nice quality leather sheath as well?
"

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 04:11:56 AM
the charge sheath you say? hmmm...and is this a nice quality leather sheath as well?

It's the best of the current sheaths IMO. The leather is really thick, and it has an internal pocket so you can carry one card from the bit kit. There are elasticated bottomless "pockets" as side panels too, which I used to use for carrying a Maglite Solitaire and a Fisher Space Pen. Neat little setup actually!

You can get them just about anywhere

Offline minnesnowtah

Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 04:19:59 AM
thanks i will have grab one
"

Offline KendallAA

Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 06:17:13 AM
Hey I wanted to throw this out here and see what anybody thought.  I bought this brown holster when the belt loop on my original wave holster ripped off.  I got the brown pancake holster from Dix leather works in Canada.  I don't know exactly what happened but Dix went out of business so I had to resort to teaching my self how to make pancake style holsters for my Leatherman, hence the black holster in the photo.  I know you guys are talking specifically about the pst holster but I want to see who if anyone might be interested in a holster like (say in the $30 price range) this and what tools would a guy need to make them for.

Thanks for looking and for giving your input.
Brian

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 01:59:01 PM
That looks pretty nifty KendallAA. I've not seen that style of sheath before. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Biru

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 04:40:28 PM
Nice work, KAA!

I seem to remember that company. If I recall correctly, they made MT sheaths, and a combo which held a MagLite and MT.

If you do get into sheath making, PLEASE don't forget those of us who do not typically wear belts. I put metal clips on all my MT sheaths so I can belt if I want, or clip to my pants on my leisure shorts. Nite Ize makes a nice combo nylon sheath, but they use an odd plastic blet clip/pants clip which keeps the sheath somewhat far out on the side. The metal clips keep the sheath in tight to the user's side.

Just pitching ideas before you tool up.

Good Luck, Bill.

Offline KendallAA

Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 01:35:59 AM
Biru,
You are correct Dix leather works did offer holsters for Leatherman tools and Maglites and combo holsters for both.

Your not the first person to request a clip style holster.  Looks like I had better consider a clip holster or at least something for all the beltless fellows out there.

Thanks for your input  it is duly  noted.
Brian

Offline KendallAA

Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 08:10:22 PM
I finally got a chance to work on a holster that copied the design of the old PST holster, only this is for the new wave. 

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 09:23:30 PM
 I remember buying my Super Tool years ago not long after they came out (still have it) and really liked the black leather shealth it came with.  I did have to glue a small plastic spacer on the inside of it because the super tool I felt was a little loose fitting inside it.
That was my first multi plier ever and I'll never forget the feeling I had sliding it onto my belt and carrying it around.
After many a blade of some sort over the years  I finally felt "complete" and "better equip't" for everyday tasks than in years past.
The shealths on some of the new leatherman's I've bought recently just don't seem to be as nice as the old units.
But then I seem to favour Nylon especially after purchasing the Powerlock with shealth.  What makes this frustrating is it's a first rate leather but whoever designed it in my opinion made it so that it rides up way too high so that it bugs the crap out of your hip walking, sitting, standing, etc, etc.

sean

P.S btw  thats nice leather work you've done on the shealth above.  Not sure if you made it from scratch or not but it looks great!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:25:09 PM by Sean »

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 10:13:02 PM
Really like the Brown Pancake sheath Brian,and good luck on your endeavor,an other thing you might think about is a horizontal sheath also. :salute:

Offline KendallAA

Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 10:57:21 PM
I did a horizontal holster out of shark skin.  I used it some, but the shark skin was rough, almost like velcro, and my jacket was always sticking to it, so i quit wearing it.  I may make another one sometime, only out of cowhide so that will not be an issue. Personally I like that vertical pancake holsters.  They lay very flat and close to my hip so they don't get hooked on things like the car seat.

BTW yes all my holsters are made from scratch.  I buy hides at Tandy leather factory which happens to be around the corner from my house.  I usually make a template out of card stock and then cut the leather out from the template.  That prevents a lot of leather waste. 

Offline Rob

Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 01:37:06 AM

Offline staggerlee

• New User
Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 08:48:02 PM
I finally got a chance to work on a holster that copied the design of the old PST holster, only this is for the new wave. 

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Could ya make one of these for the Surge?  I cannot stand how high up this thing rides...Loved my 1st Gen. Wave sheath, need one similar for the Surge and one clip with tool adapter....

maybe I'll take up some leathercraftin'...
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD