Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Really, some people just cannot be trusted

Valkie · 69 · 2153

au Offline Valkie

Really, some people just cannot be trusted
on: February 18, 2019, 03:39:14 AM
As a safety manager at a medium sized company in Australia, I see some pretty stupid injuries.

But last week I came across what will go down as the ultimate in my opinion.

This fello was cutting cardboard boxes to more securely fit the product (to stop it bouncing around.

For some unfathomable reason he held the cardboard from behind and with a razor sharp stanley knife, he sliced the top inch off the box.

His hand, or more accurately, the four fingers of his left hand were nicely opened up to the bone, severing all sorts of very important fingery things.

When he was asked how he did it, he said he was used to using knives that were designed not to cut your hand.

I have been investigating all day and finally found a knife for cutting this kind of stuff, its like a belt cutting attachment, so the blade isn't exposed. 

I will be introducing this type of knife into the warehouse area as soon as I get some, knives will be banned.

Some people cannot be trusted around sharp knives

I blame the system, people have so little exposure to real sharp knives these days, and when they meet one, it gets claret everywhere.

tools is what defines us as humans

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Re: Really, some people just cannot be trusted
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 05:30:29 AM
To Quote a very wise sage...
"Mama says, Stupid is, as Stupid does."  Forrest Gump

:rant: :rant:
Unfortunately those of us with a brain become fewer and pay the price as we develope ways to protect the stupid from themselves.
What ever happened to survival of the fittest.  I want my good oxygen back,  etc...
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 05:39:39 AM
Inquiring minds want to know, Is he related to this guy?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:40:47 AM by Douglas »
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 06:44:56 AM
 :oops:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:04:34 AM
Sounds like a training issue to me  ;) Don't assume anyone can safely operate anything. We had a guy who managed to chisel his own finger off.

You're right though, people just aren't getting the knife skills these days. The last person I lent a knife to, decided to bleed all over it.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 09:24:06 AM
To Quote a very wise sage...
"Mama says, Stupid is, as Stupid does."  Forrest Gump
(Image removed from quote.)
Unfortunately those of us with a brain become fewer and pay the price as we develope ways to protect the stupid from themselves.
What ever happened to survival of the fittest.  I want my good oxygen back,  etc...
I know what ya mean, but we do have MTs and MT.o now. :)
On a side note: I try and always remember, half or more, of us would have probably been dead just a 100 years ago. :ahhh :pok:   :ahhh
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:30:07 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 11:20:18 AM
My favourite was a temp I had hired to answer the phone and generally do officey type stuff managed to staple his hand to the desk.

I had to fill out the accident book and that I did in the car park because I couldn’t stop laughing (bad smashie).

A week later he smashed his nose into the desk after a particularly violent sneeze.

He didn’t make it to week three.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 11:23:21 AM

Because he had to star in Mr Bean? :pok:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 11:23:43 AM
It took me over 20 years to train my missus to cut away from herself, not towards herself.  And to this day I'm convinced she only changed because of how annoyed I got about her cutting herself, not because of any concern about being cut.  Some people just shouldn't be allowed near anything sharp (at all, ever !).  Wherever possible I handle all serious cutting, chopping, stabbing duties around our house. it's just easier that way.

In case you are wondering, I love her dearly and I'm sure I do things that drive her nuts too.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 02:37:10 PM
My favorite work place mishap was in the Lab.  We had an MD coming to our lab to do a few experiments. On the first day, he needed to set up the Bunsen Burner. Now in the lab, we have 3 kinds of faucets: blue (air), green (water) and yellow (gas). When he started to hook up his burner to the green line, I naturally offered help, which he refused :facepalm:
Well, it was quite funny watching him panic as he tried to ignite the water, thinking he was filling the lab with liquid gas :rofl:
And of course because once you panic, the brain does not work properly anymore, he didn't even think to turn the water off... what a mess.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 02:47:47 PM
My favourite was a temp I had hired to answer the phone and generally do officey type stuff managed to staple his hand to the desk.

I had to fill out the accident book and that I did in the car park because I couldn’t stop laughing (bad smashie).

A week later he smashed his nose into the desk after a particularly violent sneeze.

Now I can barely stop laughing  :rofl:

The funny thing is the colleague I share my office with is also one that always sneezes very violently. In my mind i'm now totally picturing him smashing his nose into his desk, keyboard and/or display  >:D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:48:58 PM by glenfiddich1983 »
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 04:21:14 PM
My favorite work place mishap was in the Lab.  We had an MD coming to our lab to do a few experiments. On the first day, he needed to set up the Bunsen Burner. Now in the lab, we have 3 kinds of faucets: blue (air), green (water) and yellow (gas). When he started to hook up his burner to the green line, I naturally offered help, which he refused :facepalm:
Well, it was quite funny watching him panic as he tried to ignite the water, thinking he was filling the lab with liquid gas :rofl:
And of course because once you panic, the brain does not work properly anymore, he didn't even think to turn the water off... what a mess.

:rofl:

WOW  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 05:17:51 PM
There are times when it seems common sense is on the endangered species list. ........... :dunno:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 05:22:40 PM
I bet most of us have cut ourselves at least once. That guy Valkie is talking about is just a real jerk with his excuse about safety knives.

Everyone I know carries a knife. Young and old. I don't get the "knife skills dying out" stuff. :dunno:
Seems to me more and more young people are carrying large knives these days and are pretty skilled with them. Maybe it's because of where I live? :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 05:31:45 PM
I bet most of us have cut ourselves at least once. That guy Valkie is talking about is just a real jerk with his excuse about safety knives.

Everyone I know carries a knife. Young and old. I don't get the "knife skills dying out" stuff. :dunno:
Seems to me more and more young people are carrying large knives these days and are pretty skilled with them. Maybe it's because of where I live? :think:

Yeah we kno how you Johnny Rebs are.

:pok: :pok:

Oh Yeah, ............I are one 2 ........... :facepalm: :oops:

:hatsoff:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline gregpost

Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 06:09:58 PM
 Sharp knives can even injure experienced and trained people. It only takes a moment of not paying attention, being distracted, being fatigued,a slip, etc.

If there's a better and safer tool than a sharp knife it should be used. A sharp knife is a good all arounder but it's rarely the best tool for the job. I see people for instance say "Why would I need a scissors on a multitool when I have a sharp knife".  I see this philosophy as taking an unnecessary action. Use the best tool for the job and learn safety and training. Opening boxes doesn't really require a sharp knife, people have designed better and safer solutions.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 06:23:29 PM
A week later he smashed his nose into the desk after a particularly violent sneeze

That's magnificent! :clap:

Even better! :2tu:

There are times when it seems common sense is on the endangered species list. ........... :dunno:

The problem with common sense, is that it's never been very common.....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 07:03:57 PM

Because he had to star in Mr Bean? :pok:

Beat me to it!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 07:06:30 PM

Pretty much :hatsoff:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 07:10:07 PM

Yeah we kno how you Johnny Rebs are.

:pok: :pok:

Oh Yeah, ............I are one 2 ........... :facepalm: :oops:

:hatsoff:
:rofl:
True true. :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 03:19:22 AM
Sharp knives can even injure experienced and trained people. It only takes a moment of not paying attention, being distracted, being fatigued,a slip, etc.

If there's a better and safer tool than a sharp knife it should be used. A sharp knife is a good all arounder but it's rarely the best tool for the job. I see people for instance say "Why would I need a scissors on a multitool when I have a sharp knife".  I see this philosophy as taking an unnecessary action. Use the best tool for the job and learn safety and training. Opening boxes doesn't really require a sharp knife, people have designed better and safer solutions.

:iagree:

The story with the guy sneeze–head–budding himself is hilarious  :rofl:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 04:57:50 PM

:worthless:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 04:58:08 PM

:worthless:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Valkie

Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 12:50:26 AM
I get them all;

The guy at work who swears he was electrocuted by a machine.
In investigating I found that the machine was not even connected to the power, it was waiting for the electrician to hook it up.

The guy that spilled some caustic solution on his forearm, didn't bother to wash it off until it started bleeding.
what about the pain, "Oh it wasn't that bad, I just , sort of , put up with it"

The apprentice who, after being shown how to weld, promptly grabbed the welded component with his bare hands.

The guy who took off his gloves because it was too hard to hold the part, and was burned for his trouble.

The guy that set fire to a bin full of thinners soaked rags.
That he himself had used to clean the parts pre-welding.

and finally ME
I was degrouting the shower at home.
Carefully using the tool and cutting away from myself, wearing all the appropriate safety gear.
the tool got stuck, didnt it

I pulled it back out and it let go, rather violently and struck my hand rather hard.

Cut to the bone, severing a vein and cutting a few nerves in the process.
The blood was everwhere, fortunately, it was in the bathroom so it washed down the drain easily.
I had to keep pressure on the wound, so the wife had to take me to the hospital, she was more upset than me, I was just angry at my own stupidity.

The injury was so bad it required microsurgery to re-connect all the little bits that one needs.
That was nearly 12 months ago, I have full strength  and full mobility in the thumb
but its still a little numb on the side, may never get the feeling back.

You wanted pictures?
This one was taken after the tourniquet was applied so the doc could have a good look.
He kept grabbing the vein and pulling it out of the wound, but when he let go is shot back in again.
He only let me take a couple of shots and then yelled at me.

3.jpg
* 3.jpg (Filesize: 171.92 KB)

au Offline Valkie

Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 12:53:24 AM
Inquiring minds want to know, Is he related to this guy?

(Image removed from quote.)

Actually......He looked a lot like that guy, but without the hat.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 02:29:27 AM
I get them all;

The guy at work who swears he was electrocuted by a machine.
In investigating I found that the machine was not even connected to the power, it was waiting for the electrician to hook it up.

The guy that spilled some caustic solution on his forearm, didn't bother to wash it off until it started bleeding.
what about the pain, "Oh it wasn't that bad, I just , sort of , put up with it"

The apprentice who, after being shown how to weld, promptly grabbed the welded component with his bare hands.

The guy who took off his gloves because it was too hard to hold the part, and was burned for his trouble.

The guy that set fire to a bin full of thinners soaked rags.
That he himself had used to clean the parts pre-welding.

and finally ME
I was degrouting the shower at home.
Carefully using the tool and cutting away from myself, wearing all the appropriate safety gear.
the tool got stuck, didnt it

I pulled it back out and it let go, rather violently and struck my hand rather hard.

Cut to the bone, severing a vein and cutting a few nerves in the process.
The blood was everwhere, fortunately, it was in the bathroom so it washed down the drain easily.
I had to keep pressure on the wound, so the wife had to take me to the hospital, she was more upset than me, I was just angry at my own stupidity.

The injury was so bad it required microsurgery to re-connect all the little bits that one needs.
That was nearly 12 months ago, I have full strength  and full mobility in the thumb
but its still a little numb on the side, may never get the feeling back.

You wanted pictures?
This one was taken after the tourniquet was applied so the doc could have a good look.
He kept grabbing the vein and pulling it out of the wound, but when he let go is shot back in again.
He only let me take a couple of shots and then yelled at me.
:dwts:
That looks like fun...not...

Glad they were able to get it mostly sorted out, Valkie!
The side of my hand slid down a freshly sharpened lawn mower blade when the cheap socket broke and the wrench caused my hand to make sweet love with the sharpened edge. Your cut reminds me of that. :ahhh
It eventually, after a few years, seemed to get back to as if it never happened. Hopefully your nerves will start compensating at some point.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 03:46:45 AM
Nearly all instances of me cutting myself with a knife have occurred in the kitchen. Holding veggie on the cutting board with one hand, slicing and dicing with the other. What could possibly go wrong?

I got tired of cutting my fingers along with the food, so have taken to using 2 knives, one in each hand slicing from opposite directions.  keeps the food on the cutting board and my fingers out of harm's way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

R

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 04:12:09 PM
I wish I was immune to stupid behavior.  I encounter so much of it on a regular basis that I could write a book, like the time I saw a small car accident in a coffee shop drive through.  It was maybe a 2mph impact (if that) between two teenage girls and a taxi.  The girls panicked, called 911 and  minutes later the already crowded parking lot was filled with police cars, ambulances and fire trucks.  The problem was that this particular shop was right on the border between one police agency and another, and so both have to respond to calls- and there's a stupid story behind that too....  So far, only the city police had shown up, but moments later a rural cop car came screaming through a busy intersection, against the lights, came barreling into the parking lot at full speed, narrowly missing people in the crowd that formed to see what all of the fuss was about.  The officer jumped out of the car, determined to get involved in the "accident" as quickly as possible, despite at least a dozen other first responders on scene, then had to quickly jump back into her cruiser when it started to drive away since she hadn't put it in Park.   :facepalm:

I swear this kind of idiocy is contagious, and my exposure to it is, I am certain, the reason why I once tried to catch a falling angle grinder.  By the wheel.  While it was spinning. 

Would have been a good time to commit a crime though, as I was sure I wouldn't leave any fingerprints behind!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 05:00:06 PM
100 years ago every child carried a penny knife with them in school to sharpen their own pencils, now we hear about kids hurting themselves with plastic forks... TEACH! DONT RESTRICT!!

My 4 year old preps vegitables using my super sharp chef's knife (with supervision and help of course), I make sure to teach her the right technique. How stupid do you have to be to cut all your fingers open with a box cutter? Do you have any idea how hard and fast you have to cut to do that kind of damage?

:popcorn: :facepalm: :popcorn: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%