Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Changing scales

Offline Bourget117

Changing scales
on: March 10, 2021, 04:39:34 PM
I’m looking at possibly changing the scales on my new Swisschamp from red to black. Not because they are worn out but just because it looks pretty cool in black. All my other SAKS have been the traditional red. Now my question is if I swap them out, will the fit be the same as original? Now mine are nice and tight and no play. Not sure if I try and remove the old ones and snap on so new ones that it’ll be the same fit and finish.

fr Offline guibur

• Guillaume
Re: Changing scales
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 05:07:00 PM
There is no reason it won't if you buy new scales, there are plenty of videos on YouTube how to change scales btw.
Your old red scales won't probably be as tight if you use them for another knife even though you gently removed them.  :hatsoff:
My first name : Guillaume + my name Bur***** = guibur

"Soyez grands par les faits, et simples en paroles."

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyvNcXV7KGEfQVgnCcY4Yg

Offline Bourget117

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 06:30:23 PM
There is no reason it won't if you buy new scales, there are plenty of videos on YouTube how to change scales btw.
Your old red scales won't probably be as tight if you use them for another knife even though you gently removed them.  :hatsoff:
Thank you for the help.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:03:14 PM
It’s a relatively easy job to do - I use a vice with rubber jaw covers to ensure the new scales go on snugly and evenly, but it’s not essential! Good luck!

Offline Bourget117

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 08:10:44 PM
It’s a relatively easy job to do - I use a vice with rubber jaw covers to ensure the new scales go on snugly and evenly, but it’s not essential! Good luck!
I was thinking the same. I do have a set of rubber jaws.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 08:11:39 PM

+1

Be sure to have the scales softened a little with some warm water, it makes it easier to remove/install them. Not to hot, just warm enogh for the celidor not to be so rigid.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:41:48 PM
I’m looking at possibly changing the scales on my new Swisschamp from red to black. Not because they are worn out but just because it looks pretty cool in black. All my other SAKS have been the traditional red. Now my question is if I swap them out, will the fit be the same as original? Now mine are nice and tight and no play. Not sure if I try and remove the old ones and snap on so new ones that it’ll be the same fit and finish.

You can do all that, or you can just buy another SwissChamp with black scales.  It's really the best solution.  I know this because I had black, wanted red, and that was when scales weren't easily obtained.  I still can't tell you which is my favorite.  :facepalm:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 03:55:22 AM
Brand new scales will fit and feel exactly as if it came from the factory.  :cheers: Probably not so well if they've already been mounted previously on a SAK.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 10:41:07 PM

:iagree:

New scales should snap on cleanly.  Be sure to apply even pressure with something that will not mar the new scales.  If you are reusing scales that were previously on another knife, you will probably need to use adhesive.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%