Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerfull LaserPointer for the Case I get lost?

LOWW · 29 · 5747

Offline LOWW

Powerfull LaserPointer for the Case I get lost?
on: May 01, 2018, 11:45:25 PM
Hi
I will make some Bike, Hiking, Boat Trip in the future. I am afraid to get lost especially when I must left a sinking ship. Many people know the most case the evacuation dont work how the should work.
The Idea is now to get some of the powerfull Chinese Laser pointer who are Watertide and light in the Air at Night to guide some search and rescue to my Position.
So how about the idea?  :D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Powerfull LaserPointer for the Case I get lost?
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 12:15:53 AM
That’s not a bad idea for the situation mentioned. I used to have a green laser that when shined in the air made a solid beam as far as one could see. If a rescuer was looking for you this would make it much easier to find you. They have to know your stranded and need to be rescued though. If not you will just look like someone playing with a laser.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 01:05:51 AM
NEVER... EVER... point a laser at an aircraft.

You could literally permanently blind the pilot you're hoping to signal, then not just you, but the aircraft could be screwed.

It is illegal in the U.S., and lots of other countries, apparently, to point a laser at an aircraft for exactly this reason.

Sorry. DO NOT US A LASER to signal for rescue. Flares seem like a much better idea. They can be seen an insanely long distance, and won't wreck the plane you're trying to have rescue you.

Offline LOWW

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:11:07 AM
Flares seem like a much better idea.
The are hard to get and Banned on Public Transport.
Sorry. DO NOT US A LASER to signal for rescue.
Nobody is talk about point a Laser to an Aircraft. There are ways to split the beam with an (Plastic) Lens who I always carry around or point a Map in the Sky and light them from behind.
When I get lost on Sea the Air will be moist and the Beam should be visible KM away (hopefully).

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 09:21:23 AM
Make sure that you don't melt the plastic lens.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 09:24:54 AM
A laser beam is very thin. I doubt that you would be able to see it km away.
Also, it might not travel as far as you think it does in moist and humid conditions.

If you get lost at sea, better to bring a means of communication.  :tu: ;)
The Search and Rescue sevice has lots of fancy gadgets for spotting people, I'm guessing.
They just need to know that you're out there.

All hail the hook!

Offline LOWW

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 10:43:45 AM
The Search and Rescue sevice has lots of fancy gadgets for spotting people, I'm guessing.
Sure but it take much longer to spot you.
With an Laser its easy to guide an Heli or an Ship to your Position. When the Air is moist the Beam get easy Visible.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 04:21:06 PM
Sure but it take much longer to spot you.
With an Laser its easy to guide an Heli or an Ship to your Position. When the Air is moist the Beam get easy Visible.

I have to agree. When I had my green laser the best time to use it was in heavy rain. It made the laser much more visible.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:55:36 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 04:25:26 PM
Food for thought: what if it’s really hard to see a laser beam at a distance if it’s not pointing at you?

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 08:22:58 PM
If it's a great idea, it would've been done before.

The beam is too narrow to see from far away.

You're better off with a fire steel.

- Weighs the same
- lasts longer (no battery to run out)
- the fire will keep you warm

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 08:27:52 PM
Here’s a light with a beam that you can see from a distance :

See how quickly it fades?

All hail the hook!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 11:29:36 PM
Here’s a light with a beam that you can see from a distance :
(Image removed from quote.)
See how quickly it fades?

That’s a light not a laser. There is a huge difference. Even so I have stayed at that hotel and been to Vegas and the light coming out of the Luxor can be seen from miles and miles away.

I’m not saying the laser thing is a great idea but it’s not a terrible idea as a backup in my opinion. I have had green lasers that are a solid beam and they can be seen from quite far away. Just my personal experience thought.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 07:04:13 AM
I would suggest a light with stobe/sos.  If you want to be creative then maybe add color filters to the lens but I'm not sure they'd be needed or add anything.
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 01:41:51 PM
I don't think it's a bad idea either,
I have a flashlight that also has a laser pointer. Best of both worlds  :salute:, it is quite powerful in light and in laser mode

It is possible, it appears, to be saved by a laser signal

http://www.laserpointersafety.com/news/news/aviation-incidents_files/748574c5aeed480919df641d1cad4d05-487.php#on

this is just an example, and I remember reading a few instances where people deterred/scared away dogs or wild aggressive animals with a laser in the eyes   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 08:41:14 AM
The only thing I've ever used a laser pointer for...........trouble-shooting fiber optic cables  :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 01:48:40 PM
If you are really that concerned that you might need to be located and rescued then you should get a personal locator beacon that signals satellites to determine your exact location while notifying the nearest coast guard or rescue service.  These devices work on land or sea and will fit in your pocket.  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75421.msg1619630.html#msg1619630

Offline LOWW

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 02:05:31 PM
The must be register and the Heli must have an Equitment onboard for that.
And I dont belive the have anythink like that!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 12:06:30 PM
The must be register and the Heli must have an Equitment onboard for that.
And I dont belive the have anythink like that!
Commonly it sends your coordinates to a response center that will then alert rescue and give them your coordinates. So, they don't need any special device, they just need to go to the coordinates. At any rate, make sure to read reviews first and check coverage.
Beacons with special detectors are mostly used in the mountains (avalanches, ice clefts...). Teams doing that kind of rescue should be equipped with the detectors.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 02:07:52 AM
Hm... What I've gleaned from this thread is certain groups of people, who may or may not be involved in the enforcement of laws, should probably have laser pointer training. Just to be safe.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 09:09:05 AM
PUH-LEASE send a video if you choose this option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUoe-9bKa0
 :D :D

de Offline Shuya

Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 07:59:16 AM
Maybe a bit late, stumbled across this now.

If you have fears of beeing found, there is one single Item that will help you: PLB.
Doesnt look fancy, doesnt make noise, flames or stuff. But will make them find you.

Other than that: Flares, whistle, mirror.

Offline LOWW

Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 12:42:26 PM
Cost a lot, need to be maintained by a Company, work mostly only in a ocean,...  :whistle:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 02:54:20 PM
Cost a lot, need to be maintained by a Company, work mostly only in a ocean,...  :whistle:
It is expensive, but the right product will have 100% coverage (unless you are underground, of course).
If you get something like a ACR ResQLink+ you only have to register with NOOA (USA) and that is for free (Don't know about outside of the USA). So, you pay 300$ for 5 years (and 150$ for every subsequent 5 years), that is pretty good deal if you spend a lot of time in the wilderness.

Also, that is 5 years without any maintenance (not even charging).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:55:59 PM by Etherealicer »

Offline LOWW

Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 03:07:32 PM
Beside of the Commercial Operator whats be left?
The one who not have to be register work just as AIS Transmitter. There are juts a Hand full River in Middle Europe where AIS is in use (maybe even not required).
Other Sat System need a registration and dont look like that the are made for a "land" use. Sure there are Sat Phones but how many Outdoor User have that?
Trut me here in Austria a lot of People get lost in the Mountain! The get up with a Cablecar or something and walk down. The wear Sneakers and havend any proper clothing.

I still say a Powerful Laser pointer goes much further than a Whistle or so. And what to do with a Mirror at night?  :think:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 03:25:49 PM
The one who not have to be register work just as AIS Transmitter. There are juts a Hand full River in Middle Europe where AIS is in use (maybe even not required).
Other Sat System need a registration and dont look like that the are made for a "land" use. Sure there are Sat Phones but how many Outdoor User have that?
Trut me here in Austria a lot of People get lost in the Mountain! The get up with a Cablecar or something and walk down. The wear Sneakers and havend any proper clothing.

I still say a Powerful Laser pointer goes much further than a Whistle or so. And what to do with a Mirror at night?  :think:
https://www.snowys.com.au/resqlink-plb-floating-model
This is Australia... no subscription fee. All you need is register with AusBeacon.

Offline LOWW

Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 03:57:17 PM
Good for Australians but for the rest?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 08:49:18 PM
Good for Australians but for the rest?
Its available everywhere... and I might have misread your country. At any rate, you can register it for free in Switzerland with COSPAS/SARSAT. For Austria (seems its one of the few countries where it is not free) you would have to check if you can register in Switzerland or UK (I know Germans register in the UK for free and a quick check shows me that Switzerland accepts registrations from other countries).
Also, in the mountains there is other gear to consider... airbag and avalanche finder.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 20, 2018, 08:56:59 PM
Honestly I doubt rescue parties will look for you at night.

2 years ago, my sister got lost in the Alps in Italy.

They were able to call the Italian police who, when they found them, said they were glad that they did in time because they would have returned shortly thereafter because darkness was setting in.

Anyway, it might work, but nobody tried yet or had to try it yet.

So just get one as strong as possible and hope you'll never need it?

de Offline Shuya

Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 02:00:32 PM

In your first post, you were asking for a signaling device in case you have to abandon ship which will attrackt rescuers.
That was the case I recommended a PLB, because its the only single device that will do what you want. Lasers? Will work at night maybe, good luck signaling at daylight or in bad weather.
PLBs can also be rented for limited time in case you just want to use one for a year or so.

If you are on a boat every life raft has a basic setup of signal stuff (flares most likely, maybe smoke flares or water colorants).
There is a episode made by Ray Mears about Sea survival, they recommend a grab-and-go bag that will supply you with more extras.

Now you are talking about guys getting lost in the mountains of Austria without proper equipment.
I know the Alps a bit, here you need only few things: Cellphone (loaded and not empty from lots of selfie picks), optional GPS, whistle, headlight, bivybag.
Never underestimate a 120dB rescue whistle. You have no Idea how far they can reach in the mountains.
Dont go alone, follow the basics and you are good to go.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%