Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox/Wenger Warranty Questions

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: March 19, 2019, 12:31:48 AM
Hi all,

I received my Wenger Nomad in the mail today, and it is definitely a well used tool. Screwdriver and knife are pretty beaten up and so are the scales. I have never send in a knife to Victorinox but would like to do with this one.
Will there be any issues because it is a Wenger knife? Any experiences what they would do to such a knife and how long would it take on average?

Also not sure where to send it. Do i send it to Victorinox state side, or do i need to send to Switzerland right away?  :think:

I would appreciate it if you nice folks could tell me more about the process! Thanks!  :hatsoff:

20190318_172039~2small.jpg
* 20190318_172039~2small.jpg (Filesize: 72.28 KB)
20190318_172103~2small.jpg
* 20190318_172103~2small.jpg (Filesize: 98.02 KB)
20190318_172133~2small.jpg
* 20190318_172133~2small.jpg (Filesize: 76.92 KB)

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox/Wenger Warranty Questions
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:40:38 AM
Victorinox does take Wengers for repair as well, that shouldn't be a problem. Also, you should send the knife to Victorinox US, I think they do repairs stateside, but if it can't be done, they will forward it to Ibach. If you get in contact with Victorinox directly, they will just bump you back to your country's Vic-delaer anyway. If you have any official Vic-store in your area, you should just take the knife there (and then pick it up in a few months time), it's safer and smoother than sending it by mail.

Of course I don't live in the US, so this is some general advice and info, take it as that.

fi Offline Gath

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 11:48:55 AM
I'm from Finland and my Matterhorn Plus went to Ibach, and was there 2.5 months. Our importer only has parts for 91mm 84mm and 58mm lines so for a Wenger it was an automatic trip to Ibach. In Europe Swisstools also go to Ibach, but that tgey swapped and I got it back earlier.

Now for your knife there doesn't seem to be damage to any rarer parts, so maybe they'll have those Wenger parts in stock stateside, inside Europe sending stuff to Ibach is off course easier and faster after all.

At least for me they replaced damaged parts with modern ones, though the blade that was still Wenger branded, so if you like original parts for collection reasons ask them not to replace things without period-correct parts.

So send it, or take it to a store stateside packed with a detailed note of what you want and don't want to be done. If they have the parts stateside you'll probably get it back within the month. If not it's up to that three plus lightly longer shippings.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:52:07 PM
Thanks for the information Gath and Exeter  :tu: :hatsoff:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 11:12:27 PM
Got an update from Victorinox concerning the repair of the nomad. They told me that they were not able to repair it, because it was too old and did not have parts any more.
They asked if it would be ok to send a similar newer SAK as a replacement. I agreed, now i have to wait and see what they will send me  :ahhh

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 02:03:07 AM
How much did the repairs cost?

I have my grand father's Old Cross Alox with a bent blade and iffy awl and was debating about reshaping the blade tip myself with a sharpening stone or sending it in.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 02:17:44 AM
So far i only paid 2 times shipping. So maybe 10 bucks total. I will still get the nomad back, so i will try to fix whatever i can.

fi Offline Gath

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 01:31:39 PM
Well this was a bit of a surprise as all tools or Vic Equivalents are in production sans the clip-point.

They've often pretty stringent standards for repair though, so if there was like 2 liners salvageable that were up to their standards that's not really a reasonable repair.

As for the replacement I'd wager a S557 it's closest to it of production models, as I doubt they'd send one with less functions, though you do lose the clip-point.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 03:20:14 PM
My first thought was a Deluxe Tinker, but the loadout of the S557 would be closer to the Nomad. That would be pretty awesome  :ahhh

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 08:08:12 AM
So far i only paid 2 times shipping. So maybe 10 bucks total. I will still get the nomad back, so i will try to fix whatever i can.

Wow!!  They’re sending the worn out Wenger back AND sending a new SAK??  Can’t beat that!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 03:29:34 PM
That‘s what i understood from the phone call. Over the weekend i also got the shipping confirmation. If whatever it says on there is correct i am getting a Sak i did not expect...  :whistle:

Let‘s see if someone here will be able to guess it  :D Hint: It is neither the S557 nor the Tinker.

Let‘s hear it folks!  :popcorn:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 04:11:02 PM
Spartan?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 04:17:23 PM
Champ...

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 04:40:25 PM
Fieldmaster.  Changing to Huntsman because they'll give you something with a corkscrew.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 04:41:29 PM
XAVT?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 04:48:57 PM
All wrong so far  :D Keep guessing!  :popcorn:

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 04:50:25 PM
Explorer for the win!
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 04:52:35 PM
LM Tread?  :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 04:55:30 PM
LM Tread?  :D

I wish  :rofl:

No Explorer either  :popcorn:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 04:55:55 PM

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 04:58:36 PM
Really?

I would be interested to test it. But for the price they are going for, that is not gonna happen any time soon.

Offline knifetert

Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 06:45:15 AM
I have some questions of my own. There's a knife I'm looking into buying, a 1980's 84mm Victorinox. It isn't actually broken except for the scissors spring, and the tools are a bit scratched up. If I sent it in, could they just sharpen the blades and the scissors, replace the scissors spring, and polish the scratches out of the tools? The warranty form says "Our standard warranty repair includes replacement of parts which are twisted, broken or suffering from general wear and tear. All other parts will be polished."

Would they be likely to charge more than the standard $5 for this?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 10:39:09 AM
I have some questions of my own. There's a knife I'm looking into buying, a 1980's 84mm Victorinox. It isn't actually broken except for the scissors spring, and the tools are a bit scratched up. If I sent it in, could they just sharpen the blades and the scissors, replace the scissors spring, and polish the scratches out of the tools? The warranty form says "Our standard warranty repair includes replacement of parts which are twisted, broken or suffering from general wear and tear. All other parts will be polished."

Do you mean the spring that makes the scissor blades open or the one on the back beside the back tools?
If it's that former, that's an easy fix that I'm sure that they'll do.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 05:10:19 AM
The replacement SAK from Victorinox came in today. Here is another hint. Anyone know which one it is?  :whistle:
20190418_081516small.jpg
* 20190418_081516small.jpg (Filesize: 91.96 KB)

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 05:21:48 AM
Kinda looks like a Handyman going by the pliers layer and corkscrew.  :think: Or maybe an Outdoorsman but I thought those were discontinued...

Also, Did you get your old knife back?

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 05:46:52 AM
One of the CyberTools, the 41?

EDIT:  I’m wrong...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 06:58:25 AM

I've send in a 70's SAK  (84mm too) with a broken scissors backspring and they fixed it.
Only had to pay the standard €4 fee.

Mind you, mine was send to Switzerland.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 07:11:01 AM
Kinda looks like a Handyman going by the pliers layer and corkscrew.  :think: Or maybe an Outdoorsman but I thought those were discontinued...

Also, Did you get your old knife back?

-Wes.

We have a winner  :tu: It is indeed a Handyman. Not sure why they would send me that SAK to replace a Nomad, but i am not complaining  :D

The old knife came back as well  :hatsoff:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 07:21:14 AM
Ahhhh, I was looking at it upside down. Thought the corkscrew was a bit driver.

Facepalm

Offline knifetert

Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 08:00:55 PM
I've send in a 70's SAK  (84mm too) with a broken scissors backspring and they fixed it.
Only had to pay the standard €4 fee.

Mind you, mine was send to Switzerland.

Did they sharpen the blades? And the repair page says they polish the knife. Does that mean they'll polish scratches out of the tools? The knife I was looking at is gone; there's another that isn't broken at all but is worn, a bit dirty and scratched up.

I emailed Victorinox asking if they would be willing to just refurbish the thing-clean it, sharpen all blades and possibly polish out the scratches, and how much they would charge-but they only replied with a non-answer form letter saying:

"If your knife is determined to be covered under our lifetime warranty against manufacturer’s defects in materials and workmanship, the only charge associated with your repair would be $5.00 for return processing and handling.  This fee is assessed per knife that is sent in for service."

I also have a Traveller Lite that is in good shape except the thermometer/altimeter unit does not work at all. I wonder if they can replace that part, and if they'll cover it under warranty or how much they would charge. The warranty says electronics are only covered for two years. I bought it second-hand so it’s probably older than that. I might be willing to pay to get it fixed if it isn’t covered, but I wish I could get a price quote without having to ship it to them first.

As an aside, I’m new to this site and as I’m typing this message all the animated smilies that are displayed for me to choose from are pushing my CPU usage and fan up to 100%. I’m going to have to close the page, type it offline and then come back and paste it. They seem unnecessary, I wonder if there’s a way to get rid of them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%