Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cowardly shootings in Christchurch, NZ.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Cowardly shootings in Christchurch, NZ.
Reply #60 on: March 20, 2019, 05:37:03 AM
I'n starting to think that giving these murderers lots publicity and personal recognition is contributing to making future attacks more likely.  If their deeds go unrecognised I think it reduces the chances of others wanting to copy or out-do them later on.

I know social and mainstream media are prone to sensationalising these sort of attacks on innocent victims, purely to get more "eyes" (and therefore more advertising revenue), but it seems to be to the net detriment of society in general.

If I had my way only minimal details would be made public, and definitely not the name/s of the people carrying out such unhinged acts. Reduce their rewards and therefore reduce their motivation is the principle I'm thinking of.  That will help prevents future perps from thinking along the lines of "X killed 20 peple and s/he was quite the "hero", if I can kill 40 I'll be twice the "hero" s/he was".
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #61 on: March 20, 2019, 06:37:35 AM
The shooter is no longer being referred to by name in Press Conferences here. Unfortunately the darker corners of the internet will give him his notoriety.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: March 20, 2019, 09:09:50 AM
Gerhard,

Believe me, I understand the instinctual need for retribution. The instinctual need to strike back at a group, even if they aren't the exact same people who committed the act of initial violence, for revenge/vengeance. Wanting to harm people who believe the same thing as the others who committed the violence, just because they aren't in "your" group. It is called the Mob-Mentality.  I am not someone who lives in a bubble. I used to be angered at entire groups of people for acts of the few extremists on their side. At some point it is realized that thinking like that serves no long term benefit.

I am not naive or ignorant of certain group's malice/violence towards people like myself. However, knowing that, "Striking back" for violence of one group is always the action of someone who lacks/doesn't use critical thinking skills, and uses emotion only in regards to the situation. An intelligent approach where preventative actions(such as the ones I outlined about infiltrating the groups and bringing light to the local authorities before the group can act out) is always going to have longer lasting affects in society. "Eye for an eye" is the intellectually cheap way of approaching acts of violence. IMO of course. Levels of hate vary person to person, and some people's instincts are stronger than their higher mind, even if they know better. Sure, there are times violence must be used, but as far as terrorism goes, retributive action only emboldens their hatred. Which, in turn, emboldens yours.

Edit:
I should add, I really do wish you didn't have to live in an area where retributive violence was at the heart of many people. That makes it really hard to observe the problem objectively. My condolences for that.

Apologies, I expressed myself badly, I did not mean to insinuate that you are naive.

What I meant was, sadly, I don't think this vicious cycle will easily be broken

I have been a caged animal kind of angry for going on six months straight, and the only good thing I can say about that is anger is better than depression. My anger is aimed at the injustice and corruption in this world, and well as the micro and macro causes thereof, religion and politics top that list.

:salute:
Here we lube pivots, can't solve the world's problems.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #63 on: March 20, 2019, 10:06:27 AM
(…)

And, whatever you do, don't pay too close attention to the news media.  Gone are the days in which they just reported facts, if indeed they ever did.  Don't fall into the trap that white people are all racist, black people are all criminals, all Muslims are terrorists etc.  Look into your neighbor's eyes, shake his/her hand and work together to make things better, regardless of how funny their accent may be.

And some day, when Multitool Island becomes a reality, everyone willing to smile at adversity and stand together against it will be more than welcome to stand next to me.

Def

Well said  :hatsoff:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #64 on: March 20, 2019, 10:08:06 AM
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: March 20, 2019, 12:53:35 PM
No apologies necessary everyone- this is a difficult topic to deal with, and we weren't even involved.  I can't imagine what those people who were there are dealing with.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #66 on: March 20, 2019, 02:07:21 PM
Apologies, I expressed myself badly, I did not mean to insinuate that you are naive.

What I meant was, sadly, I don't think this vicious cycle will easily be broken

I have been a caged animal kind of angry for going on six months straight, and the only good thing I can say about that is anger is better than depression. My anger is aimed at the injustice and corruption in this world, and well as the micro and macro causes thereof, religion and politics top that list.

:salute:
Here we lube pivots, can't solve the world's problems.
Beautifully said and thank you, Gerhard! :cheers:

As Grant has mentioned, the world would be much better off with the multitool community in charge, but alas, that is likely not to occur.

We seem to have identical wishes for the world. And that would be for the bad people to stop being awful.  :cheers:

And another cheers for the hope that one day we can all forge blades, collect MTs, compare SAKs, etc. without having to worry about terrible things happening in the world.

Thank you again, Gerhard. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #67 on: March 20, 2019, 02:08:44 PM
No apologies necessary everyone- this is a difficult topic to deal with, and we weren't even involved.  I can't imagine what those people who were there are dealing with.

Def
Thank you, Grant.  :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #68 on: March 22, 2019, 10:52:04 PM
(credit: Pat Campbell)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69