Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help modding a Dragonfly blade into a SAK

Offline Twigzz88

Need help modding a Dragonfly blade into a SAK
on: March 16, 2024, 03:27:32 AM
Hello all, new member here. I've been toying with the idea of moving a sak with a dragonfly that I have laying around.but really don't know where to begin,I have to models ( as pictured). Ultimately I'd like the dragonfly blade, the saw blade, Phillips head, bottle opener, can opener with flathead. If I could keep the file and pliers I wouldn't be mad either. Where do I even begin at?

* received_1483154715964027.jpg (Filesize: 276.66 KB)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:06:32 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Where to begin
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 03:29:49 PM
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

I have seen that mod done but I have never done it myself :salute:  good luck with it  :cheers:

You will have to start by taking the SAK apart and make note where everything goes :tu:

Next you will have to take the Spyderco blade out and then grind it down to match the tang of the main SAK blade, then you may also have to grind more off the Spyderco blade (probably around the choil area) for it to be able to sit correctly inside the handle :salute:

Again, I have seen this mod done but never have done it. So, for sure, grind some then check often because you can take material away but you can't add it back :ahhh :D

Offline ComboTool

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 03:12:54 PM
I'm not sure you have the required parts at hand. SAKs come in several sizes and while there is some compatibility, you can't expect any part to just drop in a different frame. One of your SAKs is a Wenger (the one with the pliers) and the other one a Victorinox. While some tools can be exchanged between the two the backsprings won't match so at the very least you'll have to find more springs for the target knife.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 04:04:52 PM
I just noticed one of them was a Wenger :facepalm: should have read it a bit better and looked more closely at the pic :oops:

Offline Twigzz88

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 02:17:28 AM
I'm not sure you have the required parts at hand. SAKs come in several sizes and while there is some compatibility, you can't expect any part to just drop in a different frame. One of your SAKs is a Wenger (the one with the pliers) and the other one a Victorinox. While some tools can be exchanged between the two the backsprings won't match so at the very least you'll have to find more springs for the target knife.
I gor curious and pulled a scale off on the wenger.and it appears as though.the pins are the same spacing between the 2 models.as for pin size I couldn't tell ya.i snapped a photo but it appears it's not letting my post it for some reason.is it possible there was an overlap year?
Length wise they are identical and for all intensive purposes the pins appear the same.

Offline Twigzz88

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 02:22:14 AM
Photos with scales off

* received_331728149894081.jpg (Filesize: 50.71 KB)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 01:10:40 AM
Searching around this website and also reading the mod squad guides would be a good place to start
As Poncho said - This mod has been done before I am sure there is a post on it
You could also try Youtube

Also - you might want to make your post title more meaningful - eg
"Need help modding Dragonfly blade into a SAK"

Would you like me to change it for you ?   ???

Offline Twigzz88

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 02:44:32 PM
Yes that would be great!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Need help modding a Dragonfly blade into a SAK
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 09:06:59 PM
 :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds