Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Squirt PS4

ph Offline ttpower

Leatherman Squirt PS4
on: June 02, 2016, 02:13:23 PM
I have a LM juice CS4 but I find it a bit heavy for pocket carry and ends up in my bag. I'm thinking of getting a LM Squirt PS4 for everyday pocket carry together with an EDC folding knife mainly because it has scissors and its light. I would like to know if LM has improved the scissors on their Squirt PS4 since it's what I wanted it for. I read some reviews that the springs on the scissors are not that strong and if you're unlucky they easily break.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Leatherman Squirt PS4
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 02:30:09 PM
Those reviews are correct.  Although I don't think you have to be particularly unlucky - more than half the secondhand PS4s that I've bought have broken scissor springs.  Maybe pair a Squirt P4 (very light and small with pliers but no scissors) with a Victorinox or Wenger knife with scissors ?  SAK scissors are better than PS4 scissors anyway.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:31:57 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 02:31:06 PM
The scissor spring on Mrs. Powernoodle's PS4 spontaneously broke with almost no usage.  But I own about 4x other PS4's and have not had a problem with them.  So I think it is isolated, but not unusual.  Don't know if any change has been made to the spring.

ph Offline ttpower

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 04:37:33 PM
I guess it's a hit or miss on the scissors. I'm wondering why LM doesn't try to use springs like the one SAK uses.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 05:28:34 PM
I've been using a squirt for a year and a half now, and use the scissors a lot. No problems. I live my squirt, and teem it up with a dedicated small pocket knife.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:36:06 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 07:03:36 PM
Have no problems with Squirt scissors, but maybe Juice S2 then? Style CS or PS or Micra?
Still have smaller than CS4 options if you worry about Squirt.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

00 Offline covi

Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 09:05:40 PM
Juice s2 is perfect for EDC if u dont need a big blade and you need scissors.

Sent fra min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 07:35:06 PM
I guess it's a hit or miss on the scissors. I'm wondering why LM doesn't try to use springs like the one SAK uses.

I wouldn't say it's a hit or miss, mostly miss. :P And the one on the regular LM Style (the small one) broke on me too. :/

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 08:22:51 PM
Squirt P4 with Executive is WIN.
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 08:31:31 PM
Squirt P4 with Executive is WIN.

Smart man. :hatsoff:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 11:15:41 PM
If I ever needs scissors, I always reach for a Victorinox.  They are vastly more precise than any of the others.  The others work, but precision work like cleaning up skin boo boos is more easily done with a Victorinox.

I have spoken.

ph Offline ttpower

Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 11:18:02 AM
I'm also considering getting a Vic Pioneer-X now but I'll probably wait for the prices to go down

fi Offline temo

Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 12:27:55 PM
I like squirt scissors. Though small but that is what you get if want pliers as well to keychain (or very small tool in pocket). Have used quite a lot and not had any issues. Again I don't like juice scissors so much.

us Offline MisterGizmo

Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 06:30:43 AM
I use my Squirt daily and the scissors a couple times a week and they are still going strong! I'm glad I didn't let the people complaining about the scissors breaking keep me from getting the Squirt. Your milage may vary.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 07:02:59 AM
I generally prefer to only carry one tool for EDC during the week, though I usually have a MT in my backpack at work or out in the car. 

For daily carry I like to have scissors and a blade, so for years I carried the Classic or Rambler while wearing suits.  As I migrated from suits to more casual dress for work, I changed from the Rambler to 84mm Golfers or a Gerber Shortcut.  As I get more casual (ie, Levis) I've started getting used to the 91mm Golfer, Compact, and Super Tinker, though I still keep the Gerber Shortcuts around and know have a couple of LM PS4's to play with (so far, no issues with breakage yet).

For a single MT to handle it all, the LM S2 is pocketable and great. 
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 05:25:05 PM
I'm still carrying my Squirt P4 without issue.  I did get a PS4 and wondered about the spring issue.  We've had discussions over the years about the spring breaking and I recalled this thread but couldn't find it.  I have not had issue so far with my PS4 scissor.  I sure hope this has been resolved or I am just lucky so far. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 07:17:26 PM
If you don’t need the pliers I would vote for a Rambler.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 07:35:43 PM
I am more of a Manager fan.  Since I stopped carrying a full size plier tool the Squirts have taken over as my go to plier tool when off.  I worried about the scissor on the PS4 and recalled incidents.  I have yet to have one and I actually like the scissors on the PS4. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 07:56:48 PM
I am more of a Manager fan.  Since I stopped carrying a full size plier tool the Squirts have taken over as my go to plier tool when off.  I worried about the scissor on the PS4 and recalled incidents.  I have yet to have one and I actually like the scissors on the PS4.

I think there's something with the tempering on some batches. Original PS4--no problem. Second PS4 (warranty for the one I snapped the pliers on), the scissors broke actually right upon opening on a sort of cold day. Style PS--no issue as of yet.

I really need to get the scissors on my PS4 fixed. It's a good compact package that gets it done.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 08:00:59 PM
DO get it sent in.  While I love my P4 since getting my PS4 its been a great companion for my slippie.  Having those scissors is nice. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline stugumby

Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 02:16:02 AM
the scissors on these and the older "style keychain tool share that tension bar, seems it breaks in the folded unused position, not while its in use, ive had 2 styles and a ps4 do it to me all broke when opening or noticed a piece of metal in my pocket and when checking the tool found it snapped off. I miss the older E4 and P4 tools, that tiny awl was a good pokee.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 06:47:42 PM
The Leatherman squirt I was carrying from 2015 had the spring break in May of 2019, last year. I sent it back to Leatherman and a new squirt was in the mail box a little over two weeks later. Considering the time in transit, I'm impressed as hell with Leatherman service and support!!! :tu:

Still using the squirt with no scissors spring problem yet, in spite of some snipping of small plastic zip ties.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 06:50:48 PM
 :salute: Good to hear.   Its one of my favorite tools. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 07:09:42 PM
:salute: Good to hear.   Its one of my favorite tools.

Yeah, the squirt teamed up with my Victorinox executive are the only EDC's I need. Up until 2018, it was the squirt and a Vic classic on my keyring. There were times in D.C. that due to me going in and out of Government buildings, the squirt was my sole EDC. I got by just fine with it. For a city or suburban EDC its great.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%