Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New tool stiffness - how to break in?

ie Offline cathalferris

New tool stiffness - how to break in?
on: January 25, 2018, 04:56:48 PM
Hello everyone.
New first-time multitool owner and multitool.org forum member here. I've recently received a Leatherman Surge in black oxide with bits and bit extender, after playing with a Wave for a few days. The wave is lovely but feel a little small in my hands, hence the purchase of the Surge. Overall, my impressions of the tool have been pretty good, and I've managed to use it enough to get most of the factory oil and associated black hand and clothes marks off the tool.

I have a few questions of those that are very familiar with the tools.

1) What is the best way to break in the tool, to reduce the stiffness inherent in a new multitool? Is it simply to keep opening and closing the tool until things start to loosen up, or is there a recommended lubricant that would help? On my tool, one of the sides is significantly stiffer to open and close, and the pliers pivot is almost too stiff to open one-handed in use. I'm tempted to very lightly file a few thou from the section between the pliers head and the handle that holds the tool fully open and in line, to make it even to open and close.

2) What's the easiest way to reduce the death grip of the bit extender? If I put any of the LM bits in the extender, I've been required to use the pliers to remove the bit. It appears that the spring is extremely tight on inserted bits.

3) What's the currently recommended sheath to contain all of these: the Surge itself, both bit cards, the file/saw sheath, and the bit extender? I've seen recommendations for a phone pouch, and also for Skinth sheaths. Any useful feedback on these or other possible recommendations?

4) What are people's favourite mods for a Surge? I'm contemplating swapping the smaller flat bit internal tool for the eyeglass bit holder, swapping out the serrated blade for a serrated blade + hook, and possibly swapping the main blade for one of the Damascus blades. I would want any mods to be reversible, I'm not in a position to go grinding the tools just yet!

5) The inbuilt lanyard loop is *extremely* tight and won't move without using a slim screwdriver. Is this normal, to prevent rattling, or should that portion of the tool be loose enough to move by hand?

It's been interesting reading through the forums here over the past few weeks as I was waiting for delivery. It does appear that a lot of people have hosted their pics on Photobucket and those pics are no longer showing to the average reader - especially on the older threads.
--
Kayaker, mountainbiker, stargazer, computer nut
Proud owner of Leatherman Surge Black Oxide and all the trimmings.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: New tool stiffness - how to break in?
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:35:58 PM
Hi Cathal and welcome to MTO.

Good choice on the SURGE!!. I have an original model Surge and it is one tough customer. The heaviest, most tool-laiden plyers based tool Leatherman has ever made.

1) I would lubricate the tool and then fiddle with it during idle time. I use 3-in-1 oil at all of the articulating surfaces and pivots, but others use mineral oil if they plan to use it to cut fruit and whatnot. Wipe off excess oil.

When you open the tool and look into the tool trench, up close to the plyer pivots you will see a cam on the plyer joints and a small flat metal spring set riveted to the bottom. This prevents the outside blades from being opened when the handles are open, but it also provides a means by which the plyers will remain reasonably tight over the life of the tool. Older tools without this had a tendency to loosen up dramatically over time and use. Just keep working it as mentioned above.

2) sorry, I don't use the bit extenders. If I'm getting to that point, I'm reaching for  dedicated Craftsman or S-K tools. Others here use the bit extenders and will undoubtedly chime in.

3) I carry it in the regular sheath with the file in the inside pocket, and a MagLite Solitaire in one of the side pockets,  but I hear a lot about maxpedition and skinth. Someone will chime in I'm sure.

4) to many Surge owners, the current version is near perfect. The older version did not have the removable wire cutters, had a tiny removable eyeglass screw driver which has now become the dedicated small flathead, and the older version had a dollop of zytel plastic on the handle of the scissors, which has been replaced with a tried and true bent metal platform seen on other tools like the PSTII.

Most mods people were doing to the old model, have been integrated into the new model since 2013, although I have seen some mods where folks remove one of the outside opening tools (usually one of the knives or scissors) and set it up so that the file can also be deployed.

5) The built in lanyard has never pivoted out, has always needed to be pushed and slid out with some other tool in hand. I don't know if it is to prevent rattling - the Surge is already known as a rattler - but if you push it out with a screwdriver, be sure to attach a lanyard to it, or it will eventually slide back in through normal use and replacement into the sheath.

I hope that helps.

Enjoy the Surge!

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:47:02 PM
With the BO version the dust gets every where including all pivot points.

Soaking in a light oil as 3n1, Rem oil or Even WD-40, then wiping down and blowing out all residue has done the trick for me. 

My Surge is SS, but this has been done on my Rebar x2 and a OHT BO model. 

This gets me to the same start point as a SS model. 

Working and lubrication does do wonders. Make it fidget tool during down time or commit to a 30 day challenge.  Using it is always the best. 

Enjoy the Surge as that extra tool on your belt. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:51:28 PM
Welcome Cathal

All good points above.  Good luck and enjoy that surge!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 05:57:44 PM
Welcome Cathal

All good points above.  Good luck and enjoy that surge!

+1    :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 05:58:46 PM
Welcome! :waving:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 06:05:40 PM
Welcome aboard!

:cheers:

Up to a good start, I see. Thunda pretty much said it all. Keep using it and getting used to it. Browse the forum (use the search box at the top) and you'll probably find some answers, along with some pics and instructions.

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 06:07:13 PM
Welcome aboard!

:cheers:

Up to a good start, I see. Thunda pretty much said it all. Keep using it and getting used to it. Browse the forum (use the search box at the top) and you'll probably find some answers, along with some pics and instructions.

:salute: :tu:

I know, I know...

Show content

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 06:27:30 PM
For plier pivot, I do a little different from most people.. I actually degrease it. I do it with a degreaser/contact cleaner spray. Then I will keep on opening and closing it a couple of hundred times, the feeling will get more gritty, more friction, even better and I will keep going. Bare metal against bare metal will wear faster. To me, at this stage using any kind of oil would be counter-productive. It would slow down the wearing. When i think I am happy with it, I would spray flood the pivot with contact cleaner again to flush out the gritty stuffs. If needed, I will do everything all over again. Oil only when I am satisfied with the result.

BTW, theres no serrated blade with gut hook for surge..

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 06:35:16 PM
For plier pivot, I do a little different from most people.. I actually degrease it. I do it with a degreaser/contact cleaner spray. Then I will keep on opening and closing it a couple of hundred times, the feeling will get more gritty, more friction, even better and I will keep going. Bare metal against bare metal will wear faster. To me, at this stage using any kind of oil would be counter-productive. It would slow down the wearing. When i think I am happy with it, I would spray flood the pivot with contact cleaner again to flush out the gritty stuffs. If needed, I will do everything all over again. Oil only when I am satisfied with the result.

BTW, theres no serrated blade with gut hook for surge..

This makes sense. Let the tool smooth itself out, then clean it and use some type of oil product on it to ease the operation.

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 08:47:07 PM
Welcome to MTO, from a fellow paddy!  :drink:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 10:24:12 PM
In your idle time open each tool about 500 times, including the pliers. Then oil all pivots and work it about a hundred times.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 10:26:42 PM
Welcome  :tu:

I get stiff when I buy a new tool as well, err just keep playing with it. Damn I'm digging myself a deeper hole here.

Just do what other people say and ignore me  :facepalm: :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 10:40:03 PM
 :drink:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 10:43:43 PM
Welcome!

The best advice I can give you, if you want to break your Surge, is to lend it to Pablo for a few days.

edit: Just re-read the question. Never mind the above. A little oil, a little use, and the action will slick up.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 04:29:39 AM
Welcome to :MTO: and I believe you already have some great advice so just the welcome from me :salute: :like:

ie Offline cathalferris

Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 12:32:50 PM
Hah!
Thanks for the warm welcome. Looks like there are enough people here with as filthy a mind as I have..

I think I have fixed the deathgrip of the bit extender. I took a normal 6mm extension bar and spent a while just inserting and removing, until I could no longer feel a hard catch upon removal. A good clean after that and the LM bits slide in and out with ease, but without falling out.  One useful tip for the bits in use - I have tiny rare earth magnets, maybe a few mm each side, that will make the tips magnetic enough to hold on to most smaller screws. That magnet can then live on the bit card and not in the way.

It's a good point about the degreaser for the very tight actions. I will try that for the stiffest of my actions.

I'm not likely to be the heaviest user of a multitool given that I babysit a few tens of thousands of servers for a living, and I can't really carry a multitool in my buoyancy aid when kayaking (too dense and not easy enough to open 1-handed). I will be carrying when mountain biking and when camping/hiking and generally having it to hand in the house and car.

Appreciate all of the advice so far!
--

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:32 PM
Welcome to MTO, from a fellow paddy!  :drink:
Oops I thought he was Italian.  :facepalm:

Welcome!  :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 01:16:18 PM
the accent is different :)  :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 01:17:08 PM
Hey btw, if you decided to work the opening and closing of the plier, attach a lanyard. One hand on a handle, one hand on the lanyard, easier and faster with a whipping action to to open and close.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 10:05:30 PM
the accent is different :)  :)
If only the flag was....  :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 11:52:43 PM
Welcome!

The best advice I can give you, if you want to break your Surge, is to lend it to Pablo for a few days.

edit: Just re-read the question. Never mind the above. A little oil, a little use, and the action will slick up.
:rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline mcb

Reply #22 on: January 27, 2018, 06:05:30 PM
I had/have a Surge that was super stiff when I first got it.  I though it would loosen up with use and I have used it fairly hard.  Never loosen up especial the ends with the internal tools/drivers.  I finally broke down and got myself two security torque bits and loosened the pivots up just a bit.  It made a HUGE difference to how usable the tool it.  Being able to quickly and easy get the tool out I need is great.  I would not hesitate to do the same again with my next tool.  Suffering with a hard to use tool sucks!

ie Offline cathalferris

Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:44 PM
A friend of mine has a Wave, and it was super-stiff to extract the small tools. A few weeks ago she asked me to help her with it, so I used my secure-torx set and loosened it just enough to get out with a nail, but not so loose that they were flapping in the breeze.

Current status of the breaking in of the tool is that once open, it will swing under its own weight - the same as my proper pliers will, so I'm happy enough with that .There is a little play in the pliers joint though, I'll have to keep an eye on that as that should not be present. That play is just enough to notice when operating the wirecutters, a little twist pressure and the jaws rub, a twist the other way and the jaws do not rub.

Starting to get a nice set of wear through the oxide finish in the appropriate places at least.
--

ie Offline cathalferris

Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 01:07:43 PM
Oh yeah - not Italian. The kayaking and food and coffee is good there, but I'm Irish through and through..
--

Offline thecarpenter

• New User
Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 03:24:04 AM
I had/have a Surge that was super stiff when I first got it.  I though it would loosen up with use and I have used it fairly hard.  Never loosen up especial the ends with the internal tools/drivers.  I finally broke down and got myself two security torque bits and loosened the pivots up just a bit.  It made a HUGE difference to how usable the tool it.  Being able to quickly and easy get the tool out I need is great.  I would not hesitate to do the same again with my next tool.  Suffering with a hard to use tool sucks!

Offline thecarpenter

• New User
Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 03:27:33 AM

JUst got my surge. So stiff, ready to send it back...until I read this post that I found with google. Loosening the pivots DID THE TRICK. Thanks

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 05:42:31 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum carpenter  :cheers:   Glad that you got it sorted out and I hope you stick around   :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 08, 2020, 12:43:09 PM
 :iagree: Welcome to :MTO: thecarpenter :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44