Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evogrip S54 10-layer Appreciation?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Evogrip S54 10-layer Appreciation?
Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 05:01:27 PM
I actually like big SAKs but that is too much. I wish they made that knife without the ruler - compass thing. That is just a huge waste of space in my opinion...

Ron

If you're willing to sacrifice the pliers and the locking knife, you could go for the Victorinox Evo 28  :pok:.

It's a great SAK, and the only one able to replace my trusty Swisschamp in my EDC setup.

Strangely enough I can't seem to find pics of it on my Imgur account ... weird  :think:.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #31 on: April 06, 2019, 05:05:31 PM
Also have a couple  :like:

Taking this picture I discovered the S54 was influencing the Perspex compass from even 10cm...which may explain why I battle to get a stable reading with the S54’s compass  :dunno:

Have you tried turning it off and on again popping the compass out of the S54 ruler to see if it works then ?

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 05:27:30 PM
Ok so now I’m embarrassed  :facepalm:

Did not know it pops out...  :whistle:

Swings a bit better, but still a fiddle to get a free swing and N-S alignment when rotating it on a flat surface. Looks like the pivot is creating a little resistance or the N-S pole is a little tired.

Don’t think I could rely on this in the field.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #33 on: April 06, 2019, 05:32:20 PM
If you're willing to sacrifice the pliers and the locking knife, you could go for the Victorinox Evo 28  :pok:.

It's a great SAK, and the only one able to replace my trusty Swisschamp in my EDC setup.

Strangely enough I can't seem to find pics of it on my Imgur account ... weird  :think:.

Thanks TG. The Evo 28 looks very good. I see the Evo S557 is also a good option?  :think:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #34 on: April 06, 2019, 08:08:33 PM
Ok so now I’m embarrassed  :facepalm:

Did not know it pops out...  :whistle:

Swings a bit better, but still a fiddle to get a free swing and N-S alignment when rotating it on a flat surface. Looks like the pivot is creating a little resistance or the N-S pole is a little tired.

Don’t think I could rely on this in the field.

You could try taking it out and leaving it in a "neutral place" (I mean, a place free of magnetic disturbance like electronic devices or metal, tools, SAKs, ...). 

I own five SAKs with a compass in them (two Vics S54, two Wenger Pathfinders and one older Wenger Pathfinder, for pics check this topic). And on two of them (one of the S54 and the oldest Wenger Pathfinder) the compass acted weird and very unreliable when I first got them, but after I took out the compasses and placed them in a magnetic safe spot in my home (one without magnetic disturbance where I store all my regular compasses as well) for a couple of days they acted normal again. 

But maybe it's the magnetic dip around there that causes the trouble, since these small Wenger button compasses don't need much tilting for them to stop turning freely I suppose ...  :shrug:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #35 on: April 06, 2019, 08:11:21 PM
Thanks TG. The Evo 28 looks very good. I see the Evo S557 is also a good option?  :think:

I really like the S54 and the Evo 28, don't own an Evo S557 (yet  ;)).

The S557 has been on my wanted list for some time, but it always gets pushed back by something else that comes along ... maybe it's time to go for the S557 this time  :think:.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #36 on: April 06, 2019, 08:33:43 PM
Thanks TG. I’ll try leaving the button compass somewhere away from influences and where it won’t grow legs (it is rather tiny)   :pok:

The S28 seems more on the evolutionary path of the S54 than the S557, so it may get the first nod.  :salute:

Just noticed that the compass has the W logo, even though mine’s an early Vic-branded S54...don’t know if Vic has changed the compass branding?  :dunno:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 06, 2019, 08:58:14 PM
"Just think, Hans! In 120 years we'll have run out of these crappy old Wenger compasses and we'll have to order some new ones with the Victorinox logo!"

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #38 on: April 06, 2019, 09:11:00 PM
“...but Kurt, Wenger had the cunning plan to put the W logo by the East to thwart the invaders. What will we do?” :dunno:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%