Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hummingbirds?!

BCNZ · 214 · 9733

ca Offline BCNZ

Hummingbirds?!
on: April 11, 2019, 05:10:32 PM
Anyone else have Hummingbird feeders? 

We've got a lot of birds feeding at ours at the moment (I've counted nine different birds so far), going at it from first light to dusk.  There's two different species - Annas and Rufous.  The Annas are resident here on the south coast of BC (two have been feeding at my place all winter) and the Rufous migrate up from Mexico.

I put my point and shoot camera on high speed sequence and got some pics.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Hummingbirds?!
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 05:23:11 PM
That's amazing!

Humming birds haven't shown up here yet.

I'll probably hang a hummingbird feeder out in a week or two.....just in case they show up early.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 08:58:12 PM
Cute birds :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 11:08:29 PM
I love hummingbirds- they are one of the most amazing animals in the world IMHO.

I rarely get decent photos of them, but it is amazing how fearless they are.  I have had them eat from a feeder that was still in my hand after I'd filled it up but before I could re-hang it.   I'll probably hang some up soon, but there is still snow on the ground at the moment.  We had spring a week ago, but apparently it didn't take.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 11:36:22 PM
Beautiful pics and Hummers.  :like:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 11:57:40 PM
I'll have our feeders out in a week or two, they bring a smile for sure

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 01:49:39 AM
That's amazing!

Humming birds haven't shown up here yet.

I'll probably hang a hummingbird feeder out in a week or two.....just in case they show up early.

The Rufous birds are about a month early here this year.

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 02:07:47 AM
I love hummingbirds- they are one of the most amazing animals in the world IMHO.

I rarely get decent photos of them, but it is amazing how fearless they are.  I have had them eat from a feeder that was still in my hand after I'd filled it up but before I could re-hang it.   I'll probably hang some up soon, but there is still snow on the ground at the moment.  We had spring a week ago, but apparently it didn't take.   :facepalm:

Def

Yeah they are pretty impressive little creatures.  The two Annas birds that overwintered in my yard had it pretty easy through December and January, with temperatures being unseasonably warm; the coldest mornings were just below freezing with nice warm (for winter) sun in the afternoons.  Then we had the coldest, windiest February in decades.  A couple of mornings were below minus 10 with 80km/h north winds.  I was keeping two feeders by the woodstove overnight and hanging one out before dawn, when that one froze (in 2-3hrs) I would switch them.  As soon as it was light the birds would show up and sit on the feeder all puffed up and shivering away as it swung back and forth in the wind.  After five or so minutes they would be warmed up and filled up and start fighting over who owned the feeder  ::)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 02:56:55 AM
Wow - What a treat in the garden - Great pics

I don't think I have ever seen a hummingbird in the wild

Not sure we have them in Australia or the UK   :think:  Any twitchers help me out here?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 05:40:08 AM
I had one nest in my Avocado tree.  I don't know what came of her and her nest.  One day she and if anything was in there was gone.  I really ought to hang a feeder.  We get all sort of birds in my neck of the woods.  We've got folks that drive quite a ways with telescopic lenses to snap pics.     
Esse Quam Videri

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 09:20:16 AM

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 11:32:33 AM
Wow - What a treat in the garden - Great pics

I don't think I have ever seen a hummingbird in the wild

Not sure we have them in Australia or the UK   :think:  Any twitchers help me out here?

No Hummers in the UK, nearest thing we have is Goldcrests and... Hawkmoths...  :facepalm: I don't think you get them in Australia either.  :think: The only time I get to see them is when I visit BC.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 11:35:38 AM

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 02:27:00 PM
They truly are an amazing bird.  What surprises most people, including me every time I see them is just how small they are.  They are literally the size of your thumb.  We have insects here that are much larger than them, including the Hummingbird moth.

Then, once you have an idea of size, remember that these are also migratory birds, and they will fly tens of thousands of kilometers each year, from James Bay in Canada down to South America each year.  That is a massive undertaking for something that small, that weighs as much as a penny and flaps it's wings approximately 70 times every second.   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 02:48:57 PM
There was an wonderful show dedicated to the Humming bird but I cannot recall what network it was on.  I didn't realize how tough these little birds are or how brave they are.  I was on a ladder next to a large tree.  I head what I thought was a bee buzz by my head.  I heard it again only to realize it was a humming bird.  My guess was it was momma and I was too close to her nest.  Little bugger kept buzzing me till I climbed down.  She then just hovered as I was on the ground.  I had a client who put out huge feeders and 20 or so, maybe more would come feed.  It was a circus with lots of jousting for position.  Really neat to watch. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 03:58:41 PM

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 04:02:40 PM
No Hummers in the UK, nearest thing we have is Goldcrests and... Hawkmoths...  :facepalm: I don't think you get them in Australia either.  :think: The only time I get to see them is when I visit BC.

According to the internet  (::)), hummingbirds are only in the Americas.

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 04:03:50 PM
I really ought to hang a feeder.   

Do it  :pok:.  And take some photos!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 04:06:38 PM
Any hints on what mix I should make?  I read up a little when I first thought to put one out.  I think part of why I havent is ants.  Any issues with ants and all the sugary goodness? 
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 04:52:11 PM
Any hints on what mix I should make?  I read up a little when I first thought to put one out.  I think part of why I havent is ants.  Any issues with ants and all the sugary goodness? 
What about hanging the feeder on a pole too slippy for ants to climb?  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 04:57:59 PM

Usual mix is 4 water to 1 sugar. 
I could see ants being a problem now that you mention it.  We don't have a lot of ants here so it's never been an issue.  Not sure what you could do. 
Maybe get Pabs to stand in your yard holding the feeder, swatting any ants that try to climb him?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 05:06:04 PM
Pabs  :pok: I'm 2 miles from the local beach.  Lots of stuff to do here in SoCal.  Weather is really nice this time of year and throughout the year actually.  The Avocado tree provides lots of shade tho if you prefer the sunshine I've got plenty of that too. 

Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 05:11:51 PM
Okay, so lots of avocado to eat. :2tu:
Sounds good, when will you get my first class ticket?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 05:16:14 PM
On second thought  :whistle:

I think some sort of tar? or something nasty ants wont like would be a less pricy option  ;)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 06:48:28 PM
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 11:48:09 PM
I like the moat.  Thanks.  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 01:42:03 AM
I start the feeding season with 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.  Then after Memorial Day and it is warmer each day then change to a 5:1 ratio.

I hang 3 feeders every year.  Usually in my area they appear mid May.  I usually put feeders up Saturday before Mother’s Day.  If they arrive earlier, I will notice them buzzing my bird bath or peeking in my kitchen window, as if saying “We have arrived, now feed us!”

A family friend in Northern Michigan feeds a multitude of Hummers via at least twenty feeders, not including the one hanging from her kitchen table hanging light, that they access via a open window.

But we only see the Ruby Throated variety here east of the Mississippi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 05:51:13 PM
I start the feeding season with 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.  Then after Memorial Day and it is warmer each day then change to a 5:1 ratio.

I hang 3 feeders every year.  Usually in my area they appear mid May.  I usually put feeders up Saturday before Mother’s Day.  If they arrive earlier, I will notice them buzzing my bird bath or peeking in my kitchen window, as if saying “We have arrived, now feed us!”

A family friend in Northern Michigan feeds a multitude of Hummers via at least twenty feeders, not including the one hanging from her kitchen table hanging light, that they access via a open window.

But we only see the Ruby Throated variety here east of the Mississippi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good LoopCutter  :tu:.  Post some pictures when they arrive.
Also,  A feeder inside the house?!  :ahhh.

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 05:59:29 PM
Took some more pictures yesterday.

I'm using a Sony RX100 point-and-shoot that I purchased in 2012.  I set it on automatic and sequence, focus on the feeder, and hold the button down when I hear buzzing  :D
Then I sort through 100's of photos in the evening...

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: April 13, 2019, 06:25:45 PM
Awesome pics !    :o

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30