Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kneepads

us Offline BadMechanic

Kneepads
on: August 04, 2021, 09:51:18 PM
Im looking for to get a better set of kneepads for work and for around the house. They wont be used daily but kneeling on concrete gets rough after a while. Im also not a spring chicken anymore  :rofl:

No set budget or anything. Just looking for a comfortable set to wear, preferably single strap.

Thanks for any input  :tu:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Kneepads
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 10:16:33 PM
I've come to prefer thin and easily bendable pads that goes into the inside pockets of work pants. Thin enough that they aren't much in the way during usual work, but thick enough to make a real difference if I do need to stand on a knee or two for anything. Usually I don't notice or think about them, but they are there and make a big difference when needed.

Most shops around here only have the thick pads though and they are very noticeable there and often feels in the way for daily use.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 11:42:37 PM
I still have two pair of those pants, when I bought them they had a deal if you spent so much it was a % off but then if you so much again you got a pair of those inside pads free, so for me it was like $65 for a pair of pants but if you bought a 2nd pair you got the %off plus the pads so it came out to like $75 plus free shipping so the Mrs was totally stoked!
For my job I was working indoors on concrete and the job required khakis, so the tactical pants fit, but no one saw the pads,, plus when it was summer and too cool in the morning but warm in the you could just zip off the lower half of the pant legs, oh so worth them! But now I’ll just throw on a cheap pair of foam ones, I had a high class plastic ones but on concrete they suck because you keep clock clock clocking around and you sound funny!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 04:54:08 PM
I use these when I am gonna be doing any type of low work and on my knees for any length of time (be it on concrete or grass or etc :cheers: )

The flat part on the bottom makes them easy to use even when unstrapped :cheers: It also just has the 1 velcro strap to mess with :tu:

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 06:13:51 PM
That’s something I’d go with, so long as the outer part is a rubberish and not hard, idk about the flat though, I would think maybe something with a curve for when you move a little off center?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 08:46:33 PM
I have several sets,  but they all suffer the same problem: they won't play nice with my trousers, they seem to pull the trousers down after a while.  And if I use shorts they seem to pull  the hairs on my legs.  I persist though because my knees complain a lot if I kneel on any hard surface.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 09:44:32 PM
Have a look at military surplus knee pads, you can pick them up for next to nothing, The pair I have are the last ones I used overseas, they stay put and are comfortable.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 02:32:36 AM
I have a set similar to Poncho's and I got then on Amazon.  I find the straps rub my legs a bit raw if I wear them for too long, but they are deep enough that I can undo them without straps and shuffle them along, provided I'm not going too far.

They were a life saver when laying flooring!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 05:00:47 PM
I have never had good luck with knee pads and have several different sets to prove it. They always slip and slide down my leg or go sideways but they are important enough these days that I suffer through them anyway as even with problems they are all better than no pads at all!

The other thing I do is carry a few of those interlocking puzzle mats in every truck with me and just kneel on them when I can.
Depending on what I am doing these work better for the work I usually do anyway.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2021, 05:16:55 PM
I've got some work dungarees with insert pockets.  Tend to sit where I want them and no chafing or riding up.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 12:28:37 AM
This brand is local, the trousers themselves are made in Fiji, and I imagine are either available as another brand elsewhere, or a similar enough design exists:

https://www.eezneez.com.au/

The pads are fairly innocuous for normal wear - very light and unobtrusive, I forget I'm wearing them until I have to kneel down, then it is heaven to had a nice soft landing instead of the hardwood floor or concrete.

There was another company doing, not pads exactly, but "reinforced" knees that had three or four extra layers of cotton over the knee...
I tried them for a while, they didn't really help a great deal, and I guess that shows because I can't find them on their site anymore.

I've never had great success with strap on knee pads, they seem to slide around, are uncomfortable, and just a bit too fiddly so I end up not using them at all....

Another option, depending on your use, might be just get some EVA or PE foam and cut it into a kneeling mat and just toss that down whenever you're fiddling about on the ground.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2021, 12:40:22 AM
Another option, depending on your use, might be just get some EVA or PE foam and cut it into a kneeling mat and just toss that down whenever you're fiddling about on the ground.
Or buy a cheap foam kneeling pad from a garden store.
Screenshot 2021-08-09 103838.jpg
* Screenshot 2021-08-09 103838.jpg (Filesize: 16.51 KB)

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 01:03:38 AM

Haha, I was going to specifically say *not* to do that, unless you don't own a knife (unlikely on this forum?), better off buying offcuts or pieces from a foam and rubber store and making your own :P

I'm not a huge fan of the stockists of saxon around here though, so you might say I am disinclined to point towards their products....

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 03:45:30 AM
I have a set similar to Poncho's and I got then on Amazon.  I find the straps rub my legs a bit raw if I wear them for too long, but they are deep enough that I can undo them without straps and shuffle them along, provided I'm not going too far.

They were a life saver when laying flooring!

Def

I rarely strap them either :salute: In fact I usually strap them the other way so the straps don't get in my way when I am shuffling along :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 09, 2021, 03:46:46 AM

I also have a kneeling pad that I use when gardening :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD