Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone got a recumbent bike or trike?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Anyone got a recumbent bike or trike?
on: April 12, 2019, 01:20:12 PM
I'm thinking of a recumbent tadpole type trike and I am wondering if anyone has any experience or warnings they would like to share before I do?

I live in a city that is all hills, and I hear they are not great on hills, so that worries me a bit, but then I am not sure I'd be much better on a regular bike either.  I think I would like to maybe use it to run some errands and regular riding in the city and maybe on some trails here and there- no downhill mountain bike courses or anything, just some fun hiking and biking trails.

Anyone got any experience or advice to share?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone got a recumbent bike or trike?
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 01:27:51 PM
Had to google that one. Never tried one, but the ones I've seen looks like fun!

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 02:19:51 PM
They do indeed.  At this point I kind of have a bit of a fantasy of hooking up a trailer for my kayak and biking to the local beach for a paddle, but I am not sure how feasible that will be.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline RF52

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 02:24:48 PM
You should do it! Sounds great
If it works of course.

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 02:51:07 PM
One of our members has one.  I'll see if I can find the thread.  I see a few on the road around here. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 02:55:33 PM
One of our members has one.  I'll see if I can find the thread.  I see a few on the road around here.

Outback in Idaho?  :D

Already been messaging with him about it.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 03:00:37 PM
Yes thats the guy.  They look comfortable to ride thats for sure.  I have never ridden one but from the positioning I'd imagine over a long haul they'd be nice.  Hauling a trailer with Kayak would be something to see.   
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 03:08:29 PM
Me, me, me!

I have a Greenspeed Anura. What is known as a Delta Trike as it has the two wheels behind rather than in front.

I don't get anywhere near enough riding time though, mainly because I have a small car and no trailer. It fits in the car but not easily and requires quite a bit of unscrewing and screwing bits.

I'm disabled and after 5 surgeries in a year I decided to give up my electric bike and choose life instead :) Basically I didn't want to volunteer for more surgeries if I could help it. I bought a car but was weirdly more limited as a result. I did a lot of research and found Greenspeed as one of the cheapest quality options available. I originally trialled a Magnum but then chose the Anura because regular trikes are not great options for off road, they don't have enough weight over the driving wheel (rear).

So a trike. First things first. Expensive. Very expensive for what you get. The price would buy you a top end regular bike with all kinds of exotic materials and components. Then there is weight and size. These things are heavy and huge! My Anura is 18.5kg and you can see above just how big the thing is. Unless you get a folding model you need a truck or trailer to drive them around if you want passengers and if you have a small car like mine you need to dismantle it to get it in. I bought mine as a kit and had to build it myself, learning as I went along. I has some bike tuning experience but not as much as that. You can buy cheaper Chinese or Taiwanese trikes but I trialled a Performer trike (Taiwan), the lowest end I was willing to consider and it was too cut price for me. There are some nice German models like Hase or HP Velotechnik (reach for your savings account) and a nice English company (ICE). There are some nice affordable US models too, including from Trident and Terratrike.  I'd say that it's a good idea to learn about gear ratios and wheel sizes as well as tyre types. You will want to tune your trike for your needs, they're heavy and you don't have your weight on the pedals like a regular bike. Going up hill you end up with the weight of your body and the entire trike dangling off your pedals in front if that makes sense.

But. Firstly it's incredibly comfortable. That's what everyone notices the first time they use it. It's such a pleasant way to bike. If you have good biking muscles and have chosen a good gear set you can effortlessly master anything pretty much. I've taken mine off road in driving rain or dry sand and it was fun rather than tedious. It feels safe, easy and relaxing. You can add an electric motor and really get moving if you so wish. People are more friendly towards a trike rider than a bike rider I've found.

There is a trike rider forum (bentriders) though I came running back here after a month there, this place spoils us with its incredible friendliness in comparison to other forums! I did a whole bunch of research before buying and would be very happy to help with anything from companies to models to gear ratios, tyre choices and fitting stuff in cars.

What I would say is that it's important to try a trike out before buying, I didn't realise how difficult it was to get in and out of a regular trike for someone disabled till I tried it for example, another reason why I chose the Anura, to buy one ready made, kit may be fun for the mechanically minded but it's better to leave it to the experts to work out which bits the manufacturer screwed up on and not to buy cheap (by trike standards)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:31:21 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 04:02:05 PM
The one I am looking at is a Sun Seeker Eco Tad.  Why that one?  Simple- it is what is available and it is cheap.  I mean the guy selling it is looking for peanuts compared to what it is worth, and is throwing in the hitch carrier so I can carry it on the back of my Jeep.  Even so, I do also have a utility trailer to carry it, and it may even fit inside my Jeep.

It is second hand, so I pretty well get what I get, but I firmly believe that if I don't like it I can get my $$ back, or possibly even a small profit.  It is also comparable priced to a new entry to mid range standard bike, just to put the price in perspective.

I would love to ride a trike first and see what I think of it, but there is literally no one within 500 miles that sell them.  There is a company about 100 miles away that will order them in, but they don't keep any in stock and I'd have to spend several ties as much to get this trike new.

What I like- it looks comfortable, and I see a lot of people in pictures/videos that cycle out to places and then sit there and just enjoy it, using the trike as a chair after locking the brakes.  I like that idea.

I also like that it can carry some cargo- the one I am looking at already has the package carrier and a basket on the rear, which I imagine I would supplement with saddle bags sooner rather than later.  I would like to make quick trips to the grocery store and the like in it, in addition to riding on some trails and such.

I'm not sure I want to retrofit an electric motor to it, although it is nice that this particular trike is so customizable, at least according to most of what I have read about it.  I see electric motors for my kayak, and to be honest, I do this to get away from things and have an "it's all me" type moment.  While there have been times I may have appreciated an electric assist, overall I am much happier doing things myself- even if I do struggle.

It has 20" tires on it, and I was thinking that larger tires might be an improvement, and I may want something a bit more off-road-y for the trail riding I want to do with it, but I doubt I'll make any changes until I have fully experienced the trike in it's current configuration.

BTW, that is a beautiful Delta.  I am not sure why, but I feel drawn more to a tadpole style than a Delta, even though it seems like a Delta would be easier to get in and out of.  But, I have absolutely nothing to base that on, other than I just feel more drawn to a tadpole.  I will say that you look remarkably comfortable on that trike, and it does look like it would go pretty well anywhere.   :tu:

Absolutely terrible acting, but this gives you an idea of what the Eco Tad is like for customizing:

Oh yeah- the other issue is this one is for sale over 4 hours away from here, so I won't have much of a chance to try before I buy.  I can probably ride it around when I get there, but I have to invest a whole day into it, whether I bring it home or not!   :ahhh

Getting back to hauling a kayak with it, I actually have kayak carts that I use for portaging:

It folds like a lawn chair, straps on to the kayak and then you walk away with it.  I am wondering if I could then fasten the kayak to the trike and pull it as is, using the boat as the body of the trailer rather than adding a dedicated trailer.  I doubt I would be going fast enough or over rough enough terrain to worry about this kind of thing:

I'm not worried about damaging the boats as the rotomold plastic is pretty indestructible.

Anyways, that would ideally be what I would want to do- bike to the beach, put the boat in, paddle for a while then bike back.  I that doesn't get me to lose weight and get in shape, nothing will.... :P

Def

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 04:34:15 PM
If you're going to be going off road and especially if you're hauling a trailer it might be worth looking at low gearing to help out. The gear range on the Sun Eco is tuned for road use, not hills or off road. Any bike shop should be able to change the gears out for you with a MTB rear cassette that would be a substantial improvement.

As for tires, Schwalbe have a really nice selection and they're not too expensive. I've got Big Apple Plus tires on my trike, they are balloon tires which give equal rolling resistance even at low pressures (I have them at 37PSI or so) and the lower pressures are good for off road and for providing cushion like riding even without suspension. I'd go for the Schwalbe Big Ben tires if I had the choice, same as the Big Apple but a drop more off road grip. Either would be a substantial improvement over the stock thin Kenda tires on the Sun Eco. I had Kenda's on my electric bikes and the difference between them and the Schwalbe tires are like night and day.

Good luck!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 04:45:17 PM
The Mrs wants a reg trike, shes never rode a bike and can’t balance on one, but me I want one of those! And I should with my disability and back, I know my grandfather had something like it and I thought it was cool!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 04:55:50 AM
I only have experience with two-wheel recumbents but I have tested a tadpole trike on a bike path and liked it very much.  Tadpoles are extremely comfortable to pedal but somewhat difficult to get in and out of.  I'd be a little leery of them if I lived in an area with a lot of hills.  No recumbents are good on hills because you can't stand up on the pedals.  You have to spin up hills in low gear and at low speed.

Personally, I'd stay away from a tadpole if any street riding is contemplated.  The reason is that you sit very low and with all the distracted drivers these days I'm paranoid about getting run over from behind.  Every time I see someone riding a tadpole in the street it gives me an uneasy feeling.  If you're going to do it I'd put lots of brightly colored flags and powerful lights on it but it would still make me uneasy. 

Best thing about recumbents is the comfort.  It's like sitting in a LazyBoy with pedals.   :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 03:33:04 PM
Good advice for sure.

Hills seem to be the biggest challenge around here for sure.  I have also seen handles that sit on the cross frame that help you stand up.  It's a bit depressing that I am only in my 40's and looking at getting a set!  :P

https://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11617592.html

They look just too useful to ignore though.

The trike I am hoping to get already has a flag on it, but that was absolutely something I was considering as a necessity if it didn't.  I will have to get an MTO flag made for it.  :D

This one also (supposedly) rides pretty high, and I have a lot of insurance, so I am willing to risk it- plus I live in the downtown core of Halifax, and traffic doesn't move that quickly here so I am not too concerned about that.

Def

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 03:35:38 PM
Good advice for sure.

Hills seem to be the biggest challenge around here for sure.  I have also seen handles that sit on the cross frame that help you stand up.  It's a bit depressing that I am only in my 40's and looking at getting a set!  :P

https://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11617592.html

They look just too useful to ignore though.

The trike I am hoping to get already has a flag on it, but that was absolutely something I was considering as a necessity if it didn't.  I will have to get an MTO flag made for it.  :D

This one also (supposedly) rides pretty high, and I have a lot of insurance, so I am willing to risk it- plus I live in the downtown core of Halifax, and traffic doesn't move that quickly here so I am not too concerned about that.

Def

Those handles would be useful for other stuff like attaching mirrors, putting a GPS or phone mount onto, a horn, etc.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 04:02:11 PM
Another good reason to get them!  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 02:33:17 PM
Looks like someone beat me to this one, and a new one will cost several times as much.

Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be, at least not right now.

Def

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 03:37:27 PM
Looks like someone beat me to this one, and a new one will cost several times as much.

Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be, at least not right now.

Def

How much was the guy selling it for? A new one is about $1000, that's very cheap in the recumbent world.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 03:50:35 PM
It was listed for $400 CDN (about $300 USD) and included the hitch carrier and some extras, like a package carrier, basket, flag and water bottle holder.

As I said, was too good a deal to pass up.  Even considering the 4-5 hour drive each way to get it, the price was certainly worth it.

Def

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 03:51:25 PM
It was listed for $400 CDN (about $300 USD) and included the hitch carrier and some extras, like a package carrier, basket, flag and water bottle holder.

As I said, was too good a deal to pass up.  Even considering the 4-5 hour drive each way to get it, the price was certainly worth it.

Def

Heck that was a good deal!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 04:00:14 PM
Absolutely it was, which is why I wanted to go for it.  I figured if I didn't like it, I could probably sell it for a lot more than it cost me.

But, someone else got a good deal, and that is totally ok too.  It means I can spend some money on silly things like bills... :P

Def

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 02:57:17 PM
Absolutely it was, which is why I wanted to go for it.  I figured if I didn't like it, I could probably sell it for a lot more than it cost me.

But, someone else got a good deal, and that is totally ok too.  It means I can spend some money on silly things like bills... :P

Def

Don't be utterly ridiculous. Go and fondle some multitools till you feel better.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 03:28:28 PM
Actually, I am doing something even worse... I am drooling over the Innesenti tadpoles (I'd never buy one, I can buy a small, new car for the same price!) and thinking that I could probably build one a lot cheaper.... make a mold from scrap wood I have, get some relatively cheap CF from eBay, pick up a used bike for donor parts.....

WARNING- DO NOT GOOGLE INNESENTI TRIKES.  Extreme dehydration resulting from excessive drooling could be life threatening...

Def

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 03:32:30 PM
Actually, I am doing something even worse... I am drooling over the Innesenti tadpoles (I'd never buy one, I can buy a small, new car for the same price!) and thinking that I could probably build one a lot cheaper.... make a mold from scrap wood I have, get some relatively cheap CF from eBay, pick up a used bike for donor parts.....

WARNING- DO NOT GOOGLE INNESENTI TRIKES.  Extreme dehydration resulting from excessive drooling could be life threatening...

Def

That larger rear wheel means that you have to work harder pedalling. I'll give it a miss, I paid that price in shekel for my trike :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 03:50:16 PM
That larger rear wheel means that you have to work harder pedalling. I'll give it a miss, I paid that price in shekel for my trike :D

That may be, but since when does a sexy Italian machine need to be practical?  :D

Def

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 10:34:14 AM
That may be, but since when does a sexy Italian machine need to be practical?  :D

Def

Fiat Panda.  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 12:05:37 PM
I don't think anyone (besides James May) considers that to be a sexy machine!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: April 20, 2019, 01:38:42 PM
If anyone is interested in recumbent trikes, I am finding this to be a fascinating (but long!) read:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5ee5/84368629fdc7ad69a3adf63da2c8e90de9f4.pdf

It seems to be predominantly about tadpole design, but I am finding it quite interesting.

Def

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #27 on: April 20, 2019, 06:13:35 PM
I don't think anyone (besides James May) considers that to be a sexy machine!

Def

Hey, I resemble that remark!

:P
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #28 on: April 20, 2019, 08:52:22 PM
Terra Trike models appeared identical to your Utah models in the video. 

They are based in Grand Rapids Michigan. 

To bad you missed that deal!  But, now since you are a bit more knowledgeable, you will act quicker if another deal is ever presented.

That is why I stay up to date with MTo, always aware of the products in the MT world and prices. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #29 on: July 24, 2019, 08:18:00 PM
Ok I’m bumping this,
The Mrs got her trike, her first bike ever and I must say it was so cute, but I need some info on recumbent, trikes,
I fig with my seizures they would keep me low to the ground and being a trike hard to tip, and the recumbent good for the bad back because of the seizures, I saw someone had one “specially” made for who had seizures, they had a break that they had to keep open, thus, if they had a seizure the break would then lock preventing them from going anywhere, kinda like a push mower, you take your hands off that bar and it cuts out, of course taking like 7k! I just wanna know what’s out there and ride with the Mrs!
I just wish I had my welder and could pick up free bikes around town,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%