Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tools you don't own for strange reasons....

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Tools you don't own for strange reasons....
on: April 16, 2019, 09:32:03 PM
Something I realized today...there are some leatherman tools I consider to be perfect...yet I don't own a single one of them...

I can only assume that I don't because I enjoy tinkering and none of these require any modding.

My no compromise tool list:

Leatherman Crunch, Leatherman Signal, Leatherman Raptor, Leatherman MUT (debatable if you want to change its intended purpose, for one thing a scissor would be much better than a saw for a gun related tool)

What tools do you NOT own for weird reasons?

Cheers,
H.G.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Tools you don't own for strange reasons....
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 01:04:46 AM
Same list here.

My list is not much different:

Crunch (cost). For what I do around the farm it is a perfect tool. Especially seeing as it is the only Leatherman that can accept 1/4 bits with no other accessories.
Signal (cost, could have bought one new for $75 from a local gun store around the time they came out, but didn't). Smaller and more practical as a farm-use tool than the MUT.
Raptor. I could use the strap cutter, and the trauma shears for a lot of the stuff I do around the farm, but can't justify spending $60 on one when I can get good trauma shears for $10 or even less (ADC is my preferred brand).
MUT. Cost, partially. I could have gotten used ones for $75 when Camping Survival was still selling used pocketknives.  The rest of the reasoning is it's a bit more focused around firearms maintenance and as a military tool than it is a regular use tool. In many ways, the Signal is a bit superior. Except not the beast that is the MUT.

ST300 DET.   They never show up used. Rarely they do; and they're pricey.

I'm wanting a PST and OG Super Tool in black oxide with cap crimpers, but then I know I could never carry them as I'd wear off the black oxide coating.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 11:52:31 AM
All buck multitool. Weird flip open handles and the handle stop spring always breaks.

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 03:46:44 PM
All buck multitool. Weird flip open handles and the handle stop spring always breaks.

Funny the buck tool was my first multi-tool (outside of Swiss army knife). I loved the switchblade like opening mechanism...But all the tools inside were meh...

The next year I got the original wave and I thought I died and went to heaven... I'd take an update of the original wave in a heartbeat. Still the best scissors they ever made.

Cheers,
H.G.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 05:12:09 PM
Raptor.  Much like Cody I have shears that were free and work very well.  Price alone keeps me away and I've not had the chance to trade for a pair. 

Spydie Wrench.  One came up on the forum that really peaked my interest and price seemed about right.  They typically are pricy so I've stayed away since it'd be a shelf queen. 

Thats it for now  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 06:08:27 PM
I don't consider any of my reasons to not own stuff, to be strange :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 06:18:36 PM
LM Crunch: like everyone else have said: Cost! ...I just can’t myself to spend €130+ on one, even though it would be ideal many situations and especially in combination with my LM Surge or any of my SAKs

LM ST300: (cost and redundancy) for me it would make the perfect “truck tool” and I know it will come in handy. But I just can’t get myself to buy one, fearing that it will be redundant when I already own a LM Surge, even though I don’t have it in my Jeep all the time

Gerber MP600 (knifeless): cost and redundancy. I think it’s too expensive for my wants and needs and i have my LM Kick that a carry with me in combination with my SAK, which does the job just fine, and I don’t see the MP600 doing anything any of my LMs can’t do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

us Offline gregpost

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 06:31:52 PM
Leatherman Wave: I've bought one and didn't bond and it's on permanent loan now to my cousin. Because I got a Wingman and Surge first, I couldn't get over the Wave not having an outside opening scissor. Also it's less pocketable than the Wingman and not as cool to me or useful as the Surge. But I think I would recommend the Wave to most people who say they want a good multitool. Will probably never own another one unless I find another crazy deal, or if Leatherman makes one with a scissor, or somebody develops a drop in replacement scissor requiring no modding.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 06:54:48 PM
Gerber MP600 (knifeless): cost and redundancy. I think it’s too expensive for my wants and needs and i have my LM Kick that a carry with me in combination with my SAK, which does the job just fine, and I don’t see the MP600 doing anything any of my LMs can’t do.

I use an MP600 as my dedicated fishing multitool. I mostly use it for the pliers, since I can lip a large mouth bass with one hand, and pull out my pliers and flick them open with the other hand, to remove a treble hook. I absolutely love this feature. I also adore the Remgrit saw blade that Gerber uses. I've done totally crazy stuff with that blade that no Leatherman saw or file could ever dream of. The rest of tool is just meh.

Thinking about it, has anybody ever sourced a Remgrit blade and modded a Leatherman to work with it? I'd love to have a working Remgrit on an EDC multitool.
--
'Buzz

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 06:57:49 PM
I never bought a Fuse or a Kick. I briefly owned a Blast, but gave it away. It was an awesome tool, but I just couldn't get over the Zytel inserts. Functionally they were awesome, but they just didn't give me the quality USA-made vibe that I love from Leatherman.
--
'Buzz

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 08:37:50 PM
I use an MP600 as my dedicated fishing multitool. I mostly use it for the pliers, since I can lip a large mouth bass with one hand, and pull out my pliers and flick them open with the other hand, to remove a treble hook. I absolutely love this feature. I also adore the Remgrit saw blade that Gerber uses. I've done totally crazy stuff with that blade that no Leatherman saw or file could ever dream of. The rest of tool is just meh.

Thinking about it, has anybody ever sourced a Remgrit blade and modded a Leatherman to work with it? I'd love to have a working Remgrit on an EDC multitool.

There are 3-inch T-Shank Remgrit blades you can just drop-fit it into a Surge.  Unfortunately, they only sell them in 50-packs.   Bosch does make a  blade identical to the Remgrit, both in size and type, but it's $7 for one blade.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 08:40:59 PM

Have you seen the St300 EOD T-shank exchanger? I don't see why you couldn't find a comparable blade to put into one of the t-shank drivers.

boom found one

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD