Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Quick look: Gerber Dime vs. Leatherman PS4

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Quick look: Gerber Dime vs. Leatherman PS4
on: February 16, 2012, 08:24:12 PM
I just received a Gerber Dime wearing red pants.  Though I have plenty of mileage on my Leatherman PS4, I have not yet put the time through its paces, so this is just a brief sneakypeek.

Tools are very similar in size, though the Dime's external caplifter adds an extra dimension.

The caplifter's placement is not a good thing, in my view, as it also prevents the full usage of the driver.  Note the teeny file, which is less than half the size of that on the Leatherman.

The Dime is just a little bigger in the closed configuration - though just barely - but when open is essentially identical in size to the PS4.

Drivers.  The PS4's caplifter is on the flat driver, which I prefer.  Though I have not tested the caplifter on the Dime, I suspect that its larger, 3 dimensional profile will give much superior performance.

Both tools are spring-loaded, which is a very good thing.  The plier heads can open the same amount, though the Dime's open larger when relying only on the action of the spring.

Similar size and action of the "skissors".

"Retail package opener."

My first impression is positive.  For around $20, you get a legitimate rival to the PS4, with plenty of tools, torx construction and a lifetime warranty.  The blade has a nice profile and plenty of belly, and the plier size and action is very much like the PS4.  I don't care for the bottle opener placement, as it just adds length in a pocket already full of EDC gear.  The PS4 wins on overall execution, and unlike the Dime it has a "full" size file.  The Dime does add a cheapy metal tweezer that is lacking on the PS4, which I tend to use more than many other tools.   Its nice to have another option in the micro MT market, and I give the Dime a thumbs up.  Let the field use begin.  I've got a black version coming from the group buy.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Quick look: Gerber Dime vs. Leatherman PS4
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:38:46 PM
Nice one Mr Noodle  :tu:

Can we have a "side by side" of the knife blades please?
Also, is the Dime blade ground properly  :P i.e. not chisel ground like the Squirt?
I for one really like the idea of having the bottle driver built on the outside like that, and let's face it - it will have to try REALLY hard to perform worse than the Squirt

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:52:41 PM
The blade is a proper v grind and not chisel. I add a side by side pic later. 

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:55:48 PM
Like!

When mine arrives, It's getting real pocket time!

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:01:19 PM
Great photos!  :tu: When I get mine I plan on some serious pocket and use time. I may even give up my Classic.  :ahhh

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:52 PM
Great peek at what to expect in the Dime. From what I have seen in the Dime I am extremely NOT impressed. I have never been a Gerber guy and the Dime reminds me why. The only thing that matters is if it works for the one carrying it.  :tu: I'm not trying to talk bad about Gerber or the Dime its just how I feel about it.
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:07:47 AM
Well you've definitely not put me off. :tu:  Like 50ft says I think the fixed cap lifter should be a huge bonus and cannot possibly be any worse than the Squirt's one.  I was hoping that the "skissors" might be a little bigger, but we can't have everything.  The blade looks to be a nice one. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:26:11 AM
I have never been a Gerber guy and the Dime reminds me why.

I hear where you are coming from.  From my perspective, Gerber is a 2nd or 3rd tier MT maker - certainly relative to Leatherman and Victorinox.  Gerber's design and construction generally - and again in my view - are not nearly as well executed as the Big Boys.

That being said, Gerbers generally, and the Dime specifically, are quiet functional and can get the job done.  When I am jonesing for a new toy, they fit the bill.  And if I were out on the road and needed to fix my windshield wipers in the middle of the night, I would sure be grateful for a Gerber.   But they just aren't quiet ready for prime time.

Note the slight curvature of the scales on the Dime - I'm talking about where the scales touch when the tool is closed.  When using the pliers, that curvature makes your hand want to slide up toward the pivot.  Its the small stuff like that where Gerber could up their game.

But I still like the Dime, and in my short time with it can see that it will be quite useful.  Just expect it to have that unique, somewhat quirky Gerber flavor, and you won't be disappointed. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:13:51 AM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

Offline ezeqdb

• New User
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 09:52:06 PM
Note the slight curvature of the scales on the Dime - I'm talking about where the scales touch when the tool is closed.  When using the pliers, that curvature makes your hand want to slide up toward the pivot.  Its the small stuff like that where Gerber could up their game.

I see that problem in my Skeletool, which is an expensive tool.

I think the best keychain MT is the PS4, but the Dime is almost the same, and cost a half of it, so I will buy it.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 02:48:15 AM
I think the best keychain MT is the PS4, but the Dime is almost the same, and cost a half of it, so I will buy it.

I agree that the PS4 is the best of the genre.  And they are pretty close in price.  In the U.S., the Dime is going for around $20 shipped, and there are new PS4's on ebay for $23 shipped.

I don't want to diss the Dime too much.  Its in my pocket right now, and has plenty going for it.  The PS4 is just better - at about the same coinage.  But most true MT freaks might consider having both in the arsenal.

Edited to add:  the full sized, 3-dimensional cap lifter on the Dime works great - much better than little peewee thing on the PS4.  I still prefer the more space efficient flavor of the PS4's cap lifter, but if you are heavy user, the Dime's cap lifter will certainly be appreciated.   Its a matter of what your priorities are.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:13:51 AM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

Offline knucklehead

• New User
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 05:47:58 PM
I think the biggest benefit for me is screw construction. I think Leatherman took a step backwards with rivets.

I'm trying to find a nice side kick to my Skeletool. Currently I have a Micra but don't like having to open it to access the tools. I tried a Squirt, but rivets. I think I will give this a try. The bottle opener will act as a handle to remove it from my Skinth. I think I will remove the flat head and mod it into a tweaker/eyeglass screw driver.

Love the knife shape BTW.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 11:13:58 PM
I received a black Dime from the group buy today.  It is way tighter than my red one - almost to the point of being unusable.  But with the torx construction, I should be able to loosen it up a little.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 12:15:28 AM
I received a black Dime from the group buy today.  It is way tighter than my red one - almost to the point of being unusable.  But with the torx construction, I should be able to loosen it up a little.
Shouldn't it be just a matter of breaking it a bit?

And how do you guys get mail delivered at saturdays, anyway?  :mail:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 02:16:38 AM
Mail is delivered six days a week in the US.  I think it's a large part of why postal carriers go on rampages.  :rifle:

As for your hand sliding forward on the Dime, there's a similar problem with the Skeletool type tools, which includes everything from the Style series to the MUT. 

For me, given the choice of the PS4 or the Dime I'll take the Dime any day of the week.  I think the scissors, pliers, blade and bottle opener are better on the Dime and the screwdrivers are pretty well the same as the PS4.  The PS4 just isn't bringing much to the table by comparison, but that's just me.  There are multiple tools on the market for just that reason- everyone's wants and needs are different.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline Sr.Multiherramienta

Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 02:12:17 PM
Thanks, this post it's exactly what I was looking for. Here in Europe, the difference in price is big, so the Dime is the clear winner. 18 euro the Gerber vs. 30 euro the Leatherman.

I have an "old" P4, it's a fantastic multitool. But I always missed a pair of scissors, it is not my EDC in the keyring for this reason (is a Victorinox Midnite Minichamp). I was going to change it for one PS4, but this Gerber is a big rival, those tweezers are a fantastic idea too, other thing that I like to have always with me.

I guess the Dime is not going to have the perfection of the Squirts, but Gerber is a brand that normally do the job. In my opinion, they are in the same group that SOG, not that sofisticated, but respectable done and tough. A Dime is coming, so let's see.

About the rivets... It's weird than Letherman started to make the new Squirts with torxs (like "real size" multitools ;) ). When I saw the torx I was totally decided to buy a new one. Now, surprisingly, they are riveted again. Maybe, if they sell more now, it's a good desicion for them. Not for me, but probably I'm not the average buyer.
http://multi-herramientas.blogspot.com/
The site in spanish about multitools, swiss army knives and other gadgets.

fi Offline temo

Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 03:49:13 PM
Damn these are old tools. Still have not seen any better keychain tools.

I have black dime and it is quite useless as tension in short drivers is too tight. I did file those without opening the tool. Now i can open those without breaking nails every time. With other tools dont have problems. Filing did cause some scratches to paint but worn already so okay for me.

So as toolset great tool. But I don't get why short tools need to be so tight already in start when starting to open tools with finger nail.

Both do worn durface colours (ps4 and dime). From this point of view steel micra handles time better.

Good review. I don't know has tension of small drivers been always this tight. Or is it because black finnish or have those been made tighter. But for me this was an issue.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD