Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why is the world flooded with dirt cheap Outriders?

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Why is the world flooded with dirt cheap Outriders?
Reply #30 on: April 23, 2019, 12:56:28 PM
OK Myron, no problem, I haven't ordered the second batch yet.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 23, 2019, 12:59:47 PM
Excellent; thank you Thunderpants!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: April 23, 2019, 08:07:02 PM
Thanks Myron, PM and payment received.

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 23, 2019, 09:26:49 PM
It's still an option at the Deutsche Post online service https://www.portokalkulator.de/portokalkulator/std ...

They told me that’s only for documents. If there are others things in it than document, maybe the  sending is incorrect and it would not be send. I use this way many times, but the told me, that this would not longer work...

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 10:43:23 PM
Oh dear, it looks like CeHo might be onto something.
I dug deep into the small print - German isn't my first language so this isn't something I've bothered with before - and true enough, the cheapo variant of sending stuff abroad is only for documents.
This comes as a nasty shock as I have been sending stuff for years all over the world using the good old Eur6.20 Registered Large Letter method. ("Large Letter" may have been a clue...)
Anyway - knowing this certainly makes me uneasy about sending numerous Outriders all over the world. Probably the smart thing to do at this stage is to forget the whole thing.
I would suggest refunding everyone their money. This is the easiest option for me and the safest for everyone else - nobody has lost anything.
The only other option is that you as individuals decide to take a gamble. I send the Outrider as planned and we hope for the best. At least if it's registered it can't just simply disappear. On the other hand nobody knows what happens when the German or US or Oz postal system discovers i've used to wrong postage method.
I will PM everyone tomorrow this message to make sure everyone got it.
Thanks for pointing out this fatal flaw in my calculation, CeHo. And my apologies to everyone for being an idiot and wasting your time on this. I will start refunding first thing tomorrow, unless anyone decides they want the "take a gamble" option", or unless anyone has some brilliant ideas.
My sincerest apologies for this shambles.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 11:34:31 PM
That's a real bummer.  :(

In my country, large letter is simply a size, that has a maximum thickness of 25mm.
Anything thicker is a "packet", but if it fits "large letter", it goes "large letter".
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 11:58:35 PM
Thunderpants, don't sweat it.  I for one am willing to either

(1)  take a gamble on having them shipped the large letter method.  I would have assumed it was like the USPS flat rate products, in which (subject to some really generous weight limits) "if it fits, it ships" for a flat rate based only on the dimensions of the envelope or box one chooses.

(2)  consider other shipping options.  The original all-in price we discussed was about 60% of the best deal I could otherwise find on Outriders, so I can definitely put up a bit more money to cover shipping and still come out ahead.

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 07:57:30 AM
Oh dear, it looks like CeHo might be onto something.
I dug deep into the small print - German isn't my first language so this isn't something I've bothered with before - and true enough, the cheapo variant of sending stuff abroad is only for documents.
This comes as a nasty shock as I have been sending stuff for years all over the world using the good old Eur6.20 Registered Large Letter method. ("Large Letter" may have been a clue...)
Anyway - knowing this certainly makes me uneasy about sending numerous Outriders all over the world. Probably the smart thing to do at this stage is to forget the whole thing.
I would suggest refunding everyone their money. This is the easiest option for me and the safest for everyone else - nobody has lost anything.
The only other option is that you as individuals decide to take a gamble. I send the Outrider as planned and we hope for the best. At least if it's registered it can't just simply disappear. On the other hand nobody knows what happens when the German or US or Oz postal system discovers i've used to wrong postage method.
I will PM everyone tomorrow this message to make sure everyone got it.
Thanks for pointing out this fatal flaw in my calculation, CeHo. And my apologies to everyone for being an idiot and wasting your time on this. I will start refunding first thing tomorrow, unless anyone decides they want the "take a gamble" option", or unless anyone has some brilliant ideas.
My sincerest apologies for this shambles.

No problem- I’m sorry that this method didn’t work. As said I used this method for years. If you need help in the future let me know I can go to the post office and discuss the different possibilities.

Best regards

Clemens

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 11:05:42 AM
I don't think there should be much of a problem sending it in a bubble mailer, especially within the EU. More or less the same rules applied for all bubble mailers for years, but I don't think any of us had a problem sending stuff out with them. If it doesn't have to clear customs, the usually don't even ask at the post office what's in the package/envelope. But if they make trouble, the "small" package per DHL up to 2kg within EU is €9. In the worst case, you could send mine to one of my relatives or friends in DE, and they can then bring it to me when they come on holiday. Better option than you getting stuck with 10 Outriders. :hatsoff:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 11:11:08 AM
Yep, I was about to send everyone a mail cancelling the whole thing, but on second thoughts  - why panic!
The first batch should arrive today. I will head down to the post office and see what the options are.
One way or another, I am determined to make sure you all get your Outriders!
Sorry for the drama!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 11:24:29 AM
I don't think there should be much of a problem sending it in a bubble mailer, especially within the EU. More or less the same rules applied for all bubble mailers for years, but I don't think any of us had a problem sending stuff out with them. If it doesn't have to clear customs, the usually don't even ask at the post office what's in the package/envelope. But if they make trouble, the "small" package per DHL up to 2kg within EU is €9. In the worst case, you could send mine to one of my relatives or friends in DE, and they can then bring it to me when they come on holiday. Better option than you getting stuck with 10 Outriders. :hatsoff:

That was my thinking too - I mean for us in the EU.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 24, 2019, 03:22:50 PM
Ooh, look what just arrived...

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 03:27:30 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
:like: :like: :like:  And the box says Bosch!  Cool!
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 03:30:39 PM
I know you like your boxes, Folder! I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't get squished in transit.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: April 24, 2019, 03:30:59 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Promising stuff there!

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #45 on: April 24, 2019, 03:33:48 PM
I know you like your boxes, Folder! I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't get squished in transit.
Thank you TP!  Even if it helps to flatten the box in your shipping method that would be fine, they usually fold back up nicely.  :hatsoff:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #46 on: April 24, 2019, 05:14:06 PM
The box is really interesting. It's actually treated as a Bosch catalog item; not simply an Outrider with a Bosch logo printed on the back.  So, of course, it's one I'll be keeping; even though this Outrider is destined as a user.    Does this actually show up in a Bosch catalog?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #47 on: April 24, 2019, 05:16:39 PM
Just catching up on this posting!  I would be interested in one for that price if any are still available!  Just to confirm, it is the Outrider with blade, saw and scissor's, right?

Let me know.
Thx.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: April 24, 2019, 09:54:31 PM
Hi Sir Mike - yes I can order one more round of Outriders then THAT'S IT! No more orders will be taken! (at least not by me!)
It is the new Outrider, with blade, saw, scissors, Phillips screwdriver etc. Liner lock blade and locking cap lifter.

The first four went out today. I had to keep the width of the envelope under 3cm, which meant flattening the box. With an unflattened box postage costs would have increased by more than 10 euros per parcel. Folderbeholder thinks this is a good thing to do anyway, as it saves the box from getting squashed en-route.
Anyway, I opted for a legit postage method (DHL PÄCKCHEN International mit Nachweis) so I am confident everything will arrive safely.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: April 25, 2019, 04:44:20 AM
Anyway, I opted for a legit postage method (DHL PÄCKCHEN International mit Nachweis) so I am confident everything will arrive safely.

Thanks TP!  If additional funds are needed to make you whole for the shipping costs, just let me know.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: April 25, 2019, 08:31:27 AM
Just ordered the last 5 Outriders. I expect they'll be here Saturday.

(I won't be ordering any more of them.)

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: April 27, 2019, 12:27:44 PM
I saw a couple of Bosch grinders and drills these came free with so probably just overstocked on them a bit,  i picked up this
Adventurer for £11, never saw an Outrider there though but if one pops up i will certainly grab it  :tu:

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: April 28, 2019, 09:28:01 AM
The second bunch of Outriders arrived yesterday and all the ones that have been paid for have been posted:
Exeter
Nathan
Myron

There are some tracking numbers which don't seem to do anything. Never mind, each parcel is insured to 50 euros.
I'll PM you guys with those useless tracking numbers shortly.
Meanwhile, I hope next week the first lot start landing in America and her Majesty's former colonies Down Under.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: April 28, 2019, 03:28:53 PM
Thank you, Tom!  It's so incredibly generous of you to do this for the MTo community.  Cheers and well done.

Myron

us Offline cody6268

Reply #54 on: April 28, 2019, 05:29:32 PM
The second bunch of Outriders arrived yesterday and all the ones that have been paid for have been posted:
Exeter
Nathan
Myron

There are some tracking numbers which don't seem to do anything. Never mind, each parcel is insured to 50 euros.
I'll PM you guys with those useless tracking numbers shortly.
Meanwhile, I hope next week the first lot start landing in America and her Majesty's former colonies Down Under.

That's something I noticed too. DHL Germany and the German Post websites don't work for me. Yet, the tracking worked on the DHL USA website; as well as the USPS once it reached Frankfurt Airport.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: April 28, 2019, 06:35:06 PM
Awesome! So the tracking numbers do do something, after all!
Because the destination is in the US, I suppose DHL thinks it is USPS's job to do the tracking... it would have been nice if they'd explained this at some stage!
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #56 on: April 28, 2019, 06:39:02 PM
I may be interested in one now, if you have one available.  Can you tell me what the total would be?

Thx.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: April 28, 2019, 06:42:23 PM
Sorry Mike, All gone.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #58 on: April 28, 2019, 07:35:07 PM
Sorry Mike, All gone.

Okay, NP.  Thx anway!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: April 28, 2019, 10:26:42 PM
Payment sent -- Thanks Thunderpants! :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24