Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free P2/P4 Club and Feedback Thread

Offline gadgetman7

Re: Leatherman Free P2/P4 Club and Feedback Thread
Reply #120 on: April 24, 2019, 10:41:50 PM
In that video above at around the 36.28 mark the tools comes flying out as he's trying to butterfly open the pliers   :ahhh

I just tried a P2. Same issue if you snap the pliers open. Not an issue on the P4. Does not bode well for their QC.  The video didn’t load but the picture shows the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #121 on: April 24, 2019, 10:47:06 PM
In that video above at around the 36.28 mark the tools comes flying out as he's trying to butterfly open the pliers   :ahhh

Yup, spotted that. It actually happen to him a few times around the same time.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #122 on: April 24, 2019, 10:50:11 PM
Borrowing the P2 tomorrow. Just playing with it I see no significant advantage over a Skeletool, CX except for scissors. I don’t use the pliers that much so more robust pliers don’t help. I’ll post again tomorrow about the P2.

The P4 doesn’t work for assembling the SAR gear. Too many torx screws. Also, the file did not work well when I tried to file down a metal buckle. Kind of thinking these may end up as novelties but I’ll carry them a few more days.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #123 on: April 24, 2019, 11:15:29 PM
We've already got the best LMs ever made, and are using them an entire 30-day run. And they don't come in grey sheaths. :multi:

The Free, to me anyway, is an urban type carry with mad fiddle-factor. A P2 should be waiting for me when I get home from work. :woohoo:

:popcorn:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #124 on: April 24, 2019, 11:18:41 PM
I just tried a P2. Same issue if you snap the pliers open. Not an issue on the P4. Does not bode well for their QC.  The video didn’t load but the picture shows the result.

(Image removed from quote.)

I haven’t had that issue yet at least.  Maybe depends on how forcefully the handles are snapped into place?  I’m going to try mine more to see.
K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: April 25, 2019, 12:42:55 AM
I'm sure it will thrill GLBM to know that I am somewhat more chipper about the Free series, having seen that Roy Grey or whatever his name was video of the thing. I looks better in his hands that it did in any of the gits who were spruiking it during the pre-release.

Still no intention of buying one - it'll be at least another 12 months, possibly longer, before the stars align and A. I am in a mood to buy a new multi and B. A local retailer has a sufficiently attractive sale to make the purchase start to look like acceptable value*.

possibly even that long before I get a chance to see one in the flesh.

None the less, though I still have some doubts about a few points, the live-action video suggests that LM has made a decent effort at a tool that might cover daily/odd jobs.

*This is not entirely LMs fault, there's a fair bit of price creep between the manufacturer and the retailer in Oz....

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #126 on: April 25, 2019, 02:48:23 AM
:iagree: thrilled indeed, Sea Monster. :multi:

To the P2.

I've been sitting around playing with the P2 for a bit. I feel the tool is worth the cost for sure. Not as excited as I hoped to be, but that is my problem, not the tool's. Going forward;
The tool is built very well and the QC is outstanding. The design should be worthy of MT of the year, because of HOW cool the engineering involved is. I have a lot of respect for the design, QC, function, and USA-manufacturing. It isn't going to dethrone my Charge anytime soon(since the magnet would get steel wool dust on them at my job, but I may try it anyway), but it sure is a kickazz tool. Very well made and fun to play with. VERY FUN.

Swinging the plier out gently, as is directed will not pop any tools out. At least not on my example. You're supposed to swing the handles out gently and then slowly click the handles into place anyway. I cannot get mine pop any tools out with realistic usage motions.

If you bought one (or thinking of buying one) and are worried about that, just swing it open and pop the pliers into place holding the side with the awl. That'll lessen the momentum incurred by aggressive flipping. The side with the blade is tighter and doesn't really have any possible hazards(the sharp package edge on the flat driver would be almost impossible to get your finger on this way). The blade is blocked from opening when the pliers are engaged, so that won't be an issue. The only tool that would cut you, if you are completely oblivious to using the tool(which tools should always be taken seriously), is the awl. But, that said, it isn't quite as much of an issue as is being worried about here. I hope that helps explain it and possible methods to reduce possible partial opening.
You could  always use two security torx bits to tighten the pivot a little, if you're worried about any tools popping open when slipping the pliers or cutting something thick. But, if LM had made the tools tighter, then they wouldn't be easily opened OH and people would be talking about how tight they are. Catch-22.

Sidenote: I'll probably regret even posting about getting mine and writing what I think.  :facepalm:

P2 pics. They're not very good, since several members have posted gorgeous photos already.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:03:47 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline gilson65

Reply #127 on: April 25, 2019, 03:02:07 AM

To the P2.

I've been sitting around playing with the P2 for a bit. I feel the tool is worth the cost for sure. Not as excited as I hoped to be, but that is my problem, not the tool's. Going forward;
The tool is built very well and the QC is outstanding. The design should be worthy of MT of the year, because of HOW cool the engineering involved is. I have a lot of respect for the design, QC, function, and USA-manufacturing. It isn't going to dethrone my Charge anytime soon(since the magnet would get steel wool dust on them at my job, but I may try it anyway), but it sure is a kickazz tool. Very well made and fun to play with. VERY FUN.

Swinging the plier out gently, as is directed will not pop any tools out. At least not on my example. You're supposed to swing the handles out gently and then slowly click the handles into place anyway. I cannot get mine pop any tools out with realistic usage motions.

If you bought one (or thinking of buying one) and are worried about that, just swing it open and pop the pliers into place holding the side with the awl. That'll lessen the momentum incurred by aggressive flipping. The side with the blade is tighter and doesn't really have any possible hazards(the sharp package edge on the flat driver would be almost impossible to get your finger on this way). The blade is blocked from opening when the pliers are engaged, so that won't be an issue. The only tool that would cut you, if you are completely oblivious to using the tool(which tools should always be taken seriously), is the awl. But, that said, it isn't quite as much of an issue as is being worried about here. I hope that helps explain it and possible methods to reduce possible partial opening.
You could  always use two security torx bits to tighten the pivot a little, if you're worried about any tools popping open when slipping the pliers or cutting somethong thick. But, if LM had made the tools tighter, then they wouldn't be easily opened OH and people would be talking about how tight they are. Catch-22.

Sidenote: I'll probably regret even posting about getting mine and writing what I think.  :facepalm:

P2 pics. They're not very good, since several members have posted gorgeous photos already.

Totally agree with your comments especially about the opening method the more I play with mine the more I love it  :iagree:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #128 on: April 25, 2019, 03:21:31 AM
Awesome! Glad you like it!  :cheers:

It’s good to know the popping open may not be as big a safety concern as I initially thought. I also didn’t realize the blades were prevented from opening. Good stuff.

As far as metal stuff getting on the magnets, how easy do you think they would be to clean off? Are they pretty easy to access?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:37:33 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #129 on: April 25, 2019, 03:34:20 AM
On my P4 the inside tools opening doesn’t seem to be much of an issue. The P2 inside tools with the file can pop out when using the same force to lock the pliers in place as I use on my Charge. Swinging the handles hasn’t opened either the P4 or P2 tools - it’s when clicking the pliers into place that it happens. If the P2 were mine I’d tighten the pivot but as it is a loaner I’ll leave it alone. I don’t think it’s a safety issue, just annoying on a $120 tool.

On the other hand, my whining about the cost of the tool(s) is a bit ridiculous since I have several Chris Reeve and Hinderer knives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #130 on: April 25, 2019, 03:44:46 AM

To the P2.

You could  always use two security torx bits to tighten the pivot a little, if you're worried about any tools popping open when slipping the pliers or cutting something thick. But, if LM had made the tools tighter, then they wouldn't be easily opened OH and people would be talking about how tight they are. Catch-22.

Nice, glad you enjoy it man!
K-Tibbs

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #131 on: April 25, 2019, 04:12:48 AM
Totally agree with your comments especially about the opening method the more I play with mine the more I love it.  :iagree:
Thank you, gilson! :cheers:
It is quite a unique tool for sure.

Awesome! Glad you like it!  :cheers:

It’s good to know the popping open may not be as big a safety concern as I initially thought. I also didn’t realize the blades were prevented from opening. Good stuff.

As far as metal stuff getting on the magnets, how easy do you think they would be to clean off? Are they pretty easy to access?
Thank you, gustophersmob! :cheers:
A good quality packing tape could probably get the metal dust off. Luckily the metal doesn't get into the pivot, just onto the retainer magnets. :)

On my P4 the inside tools opening doesn’t seem to be much of an issue. The P2 inside tools with the file can pop out when using the same force to lock the pliers in place as I use on my Charge. Swinging the handles hasn’t opened either the P4 or P2 tools - it’s when clicking the pliers into place that it happens. If the P2 were mine I’d tighten the pivot but as it is a loaner I’ll leave it alone. I don’t think it’s a safety issue, just annoying on a $120 tool.

On the other hand, my whining about the cost of the tool(s) is a bit ridiculous since I have several Chris Reeve and Hinderer knives.

It is funny. The more I play with it, the more I think the price may be justifiable. It feels refined like a $150 folding knife in certain aspects. But, that said, an incredibly more complex construction is cheaper than some good folders. IMO of course.

Very cool you have the Reeves and Hinderer knives. Some serious bladage there. :dd:

Nice, glad you enjoy it man!
Thank you, Monrogue! :cheers:

--------------------

Has anyone else noticed that the tools actually DO NOT have true clumping(sorry if I missed someone mentioning that)? The tools all come out when the tangs are pressed as a bunch, BUT, pulling(or using a finger nail individually) each one out, they don't clump. Kind of cool. :)

Edit:
I will say, as far as right now, my only issue is the short file. But, that said, I like the full sized scissors and thin profile as the trade-off.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline gilson65

Reply #132 on: April 25, 2019, 05:04:01 AM
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:09:09 AM by gilson65 »

us Offline gregpost

Reply #133 on: April 25, 2019, 07:27:30 AM
On my St 300 that's very broken in and opens with a flick the tools always fly out on one side. I tighten the screw but after a while flicking it gets loose again. This also happens on every single SOG with the assisted opening(granted that's only been 3 tools) that I've owned.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #134 on: April 25, 2019, 07:38:51 AM
I had to stop watching that video when he said he couldn't tell the difference in knife edges on the New Wave, because they looked identical.  :facepalm:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #135 on: April 25, 2019, 08:04:05 AM
I had to stop watching that video when he said he couldn't tell the difference in knife edges on the New Wave, because they looked identical.  :facepalm:

seriously, just install the pocket clip and problem solved...there's also gimping on the serrated blade spine, it's really a non issue.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #136 on: April 25, 2019, 08:05:42 AM
seriously, just install the pocket clip and problem solved...there's also gimping on the serrated blade spine, it's really a non issue.
Indeed. I like the guy's approach to the video, but it is obvious he isn't an enthusiast.  :facepalm:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: April 25, 2019, 08:18:22 AM
It is funny. The more I play with it, the more I think the price may be justifiable. It feels refined like a $150 folding knife in certain aspects. But, that said, an incredibly more complex construction is cheaper than some good folders. IMO of course.

How does it go as a knife?
I've found most multis (some more than others - the MP600 can sod right off) have "acceptable" knives for utilitarian tasks, but hardly a pleasure to use - does the P2/P4 have the ergonomics and blade design to really feel like a decent knife in hand?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #138 on: April 25, 2019, 08:24:07 AM
Actually. Yes. IMO of course. Sure the handles aren't sculpted for a hand specifically, but the knife setup, as a whole, is outstanding for an MT. It is hard to explain, and maybe someone else can iterate the position better than me.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #139 on: April 25, 2019, 11:44:33 AM
How does it go as a knife?
I've found most multis (some more than others - the MP600 can sod right off) have "acceptable" knives for utilitarian tasks, but hardly a pleasure to use - does the P2/P4 have the ergonomics and blade design to really feel like a decent knife in hand?

In my opinion, the knife is more comfortable than the knife on the Charge. I also like the blade shape better. If they come out with an S30v version, it would be the best knife on any multitool I’ve handled.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #140 on: April 25, 2019, 02:28:48 PM
In my opinion, the knife is more comfortable than the knife on the Charge. I also like the blade shape better. If they come out with an S30v version, it would be the best knife on any multitool I’ve handled.

:like:  :iagree:

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #141 on: April 25, 2019, 06:15:29 PM
I was thinking about getting a new Charge+ when I saw the reports from SHOT show about the new Free line. The SHOT show videos didn't really give enough information, so I very much appreciate the posts here and the videos linked in these posts. I like the one handedness of the Free models, but I think I'm going to stick with the Charge+. It will be a few weeks before I place an order, so feel FREE to change my mind. Here are my reasons:

The Free P4 and Charge+ cost the same amount.
The Charge+ has a 154CM blade
The Charge+ has both blades easily accessible ( serrated and plain edge ), and right handed
The Charge+ has bit holders
The Charge+ has a longer file, and a diamond coating.

The Free has an awl, a better can opener, a package opener, and maybe better scissors.
The Charge has a better plain edge blade, a longer serrated blade, a longer saw, a better file and longer file, and bit drivers.

I'm not sold on the 2 and a half D phillips driver, the 420HC plain edge blade, or the funky file. Perhaps there will be a Free P4+ with bit drivers and a diamond file in the future? Anyway, I would love to hear more opinions and will try to keep an eye on this forum. Thanks for all the input so far.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #142 on: April 25, 2019, 06:36:57 PM
Why do they insist on two blades? Ditch the serrated, and have a proper file.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #143 on: April 25, 2019, 06:44:48 PM
 :iagree: I only need one blade on a MT and
a longer file would make much more sense  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #144 on: April 25, 2019, 07:07:10 PM
Toss my vote in for the file over SE blade as well. And then put a short SE blade, like the Sidekick, in the tiny file slot. Then swap the giant phillips for a longer, redesigned bit exchanger.
Call it the "Free P-Pro". :multi:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #145 on: April 25, 2019, 07:14:02 PM
Sounds like a good MT to me  :like: :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #146 on: April 25, 2019, 07:22:24 PM
Toss my vote in for the file over SE blade as well. And then put a short SE blade, like the Sidekick, in the tiny file slot. Then swap the giant phillips for a longer, redesigned bit exchanger.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #147 on: April 25, 2019, 07:24:30 PM
 :rofl: :like:

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #148 on: April 25, 2019, 07:25:45 PM
I like this idea. I’d add the blade exchanger for the saw too.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #149 on: April 25, 2019, 07:52:12 PM
Nice pics and reviews gents! I have not seen one in person yet, but by the pics it looks sweet. Love seeing USA stamped on it also. The only concern I have it the amount of metal that it might collect on the magnets. Don't know, maybe the metal shaving will clean off easy.

Anyways, thanks for sharing guys.
Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56