Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free P2/P4 Club and Feedback Thread

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Free P2/P4 Club and Feedback Thread
Reply #720 on: September 18, 2020, 05:48:50 PM
Thanks FTC and Aloha :hatsoff: I may try to carry it next week and see how it goes :think: :cheers:

:nanadance:        :nanadance:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #721 on: September 22, 2020, 02:44:16 PM
About time you joined Poncho ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K-Tibbs

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #722 on: September 22, 2020, 06:29:32 PM
Thanks Mons :hatsoff: ;) :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #723 on: September 22, 2020, 06:30:13 PM
I have both it and the T4 with me today :cheers: I took a couple pics and just need to get them uploaded now :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #724 on: September 22, 2020, 08:30:35 PM
Some pics of my carry today ;)

I knew that the blades were different sizes but had no idea it was that much of a difference  :ahhh I do wish it had a PE Blade vs the combo blade but I may get a few parts to mod it :whistle: :think: :D

It seems like an OK carry so far and I do like how it flips open :like: but I believe the Charge/Wave format has ut beat :think: I am going to carry it the rest of the week and see how it goes :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #725 on: September 22, 2020, 11:43:37 PM
I do not have a T4 yet. Curious to see how you get along with it.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #726 on: September 23, 2020, 12:36:27 AM
I do not have a T4 yet. Curious to see how you get along with it.

I got my T4 in last week and I'm really enjoying it (no where near as thick as  I thought and the one hand opening tools is actually very nice and useful). The only issue I have with it is the knife blade, it's incredibly difficult to deploy one handed using the hole (it can be done, but it's more than a little rough on the thumb) and the dreadful sqeak it makes about 40% of the time. I'm pretty sure this is because of the magnet retention system, so I'm not sure if oiling it will solve the issue and as the one hand opening nubs are the locking surface I'm not sure if  iwant to try oiling  :think:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #727 on: September 23, 2020, 12:53:33 AM
I was going to get them later, being new and all...but maybe I might have to accelerate their acquisition. I am still waiting for the G10 orange and the Skeletool RX in red to arrive...if they ever will before buying more Leathermans.  :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #728 on: September 23, 2020, 02:49:22 AM
I have had the T4 for almost a year now  :cheers: i like it fairly well but my Charge knife beats it in almost every aspect ;) the only thing missing on my Charge knife is a good awl :ahhh if I can put one of those in then it will have the upper hand in everything  :whistle:

I don't have the squeaking sound in mine at all :salute: The knife is harder to deploy in it vs the P2 as well :dunno: I am okish with the 2D Phillips but rather have a full 3D one or a bit driver  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:56:27 AM by Poncho65 »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #729 on: September 24, 2020, 12:49:26 AM
Cool. They didn't make it this pay period...I opted for 2 Super Tool 300M's this time around. maybe next time.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #730 on: September 27, 2020, 08:32:58 PM

Missing a good file and saw on this for sure :ahhh wished it had a PE Blade as well :cry: :D I do :like: the flipping of it and the pliers themselves are pretty good as well :tu: I may very well sharpen the awl to get proper one vs the screwdriver ended factory one :facepalm: :D Overall a good tool but I think I would rather have a P4 :think: :cheers:

Well actually I would rather have a Wave format tool or the Rebar format tool :whistle: :D

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #731 on: September 28, 2020, 01:41:38 PM
You mean it's not the best LM multi ever  ?    :ahhh

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #732 on: September 28, 2020, 05:10:35 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #733 on: September 28, 2020, 06:43:06 PM
Nope :whistle: and I even have the grey sheath :shrug:

:D

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #734 on: September 28, 2020, 08:59:31 PM
I wonder if that guy still works for Leatherman or whether he's back to being a used car salesman.  :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #735 on: September 29, 2020, 02:20:51 AM
My chips would be on him being back to a used car salesman :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #736 on: October 05, 2020, 02:23:07 AM
I took a real close look at both the P2 and P4 and I must say, there is a bit of engineering that went into them. Can't wait to get the T2 and T4 in to compare them as well.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #737 on: October 06, 2020, 05:47:11 PM
Some may say, over-engineering...
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Offline Time22

Reply #738 on: October 30, 2020, 01:56:00 AM
Free P4+ :

Rebar Awl
Wave / Charge can opener / wire stripper (or add wire stripper to current can opener)
Wave / Charge type ruler

&

Removable Bit Driver designed for Free series tools

—-

Redesign those tools on the saw / serrated knife side

And perhaps a Wave style file instead of the Saw

In other words, I joined the club
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 02:10:23 AM by Time22 »

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #739 on: October 30, 2020, 04:02:06 PM
Welcome & congratulations (commiserations?)
We look forward to your feedback after a little bit of carry & use.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Offline Pilosopo

Reply #740 on: November 21, 2020, 04:13:37 PM
Just wanted to bring this back up with some praise for these tools.

Doing some electrical around the house reinforced how great these tools are when in actual use. Cycling through tools with one hand while holding something in the other is just brilliant.

For this job, the reamer/small flat head fit perfect into the back of the old switches and sockets to free the wiring. The ruler/wire stripper had no issues removing more insulation. Switched effortlessly to the pliers to bend the loop for the new switches/outlets. Switched to the phillips driver and then finally to the file/flathead to reinstall.

I now own multiple Leatherman tools now... PST/PST II, Supertool/Supertool 300, Crunch, Skeletool, Charge + BO/G10, modified Rebars, bit kits and extenders, etc. When I'm actually planning to get work done around the house, I grab the Free P4. If I'm headed out and don't have a bag or holster, I grab the Free P2 and pocket carry it.

I attached photos comparing them to my Skeletool as well, thick and thin side of the Skeletool and the profile. The Free P2 cast almost the same shadow as the Skeletool, and though heavier, has scissors, multiple drivers, a file, and the wedge/flat head/package opener/pry tool which I think is basically the greatest multitool implement ever.

I think Leatherman hit it out of the park with these tools. I can't wait to see how they improve upon the concept further.
Resizer_16059702555250.jpg
* Resizer_16059702555250.jpg (Filesize: 287.59 KB)
Resizer_16059703419390.jpg
* Resizer_16059703419390.jpg (Filesize: 284.88 KB)
Resizer_16059703419392.jpg
* Resizer_16059703419392.jpg (Filesize: 278 KB)
Resizer_16059703419391.jpg
* Resizer_16059703419391.jpg (Filesize: 344.37 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #741 on: November 22, 2020, 06:25:08 AM
Great pics and a great write up :tu: :like:

Offline Time22

Reply #742 on: November 28, 2020, 02:41:42 AM
Feedback for movie buffs
Free P4.jpg
* Free P4.jpg (Filesize: 146.09 KB)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 02:49:48 AM by Time22 »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #743 on: November 28, 2020, 11:05:49 AM
I will say they aren't as bad as I originally feared they might be. I now have most of the Free collection short of a few colour variations for the K knives. The locking mechanism, once you get used to it, is ok. It works really well on the T and K series. I still find it a bit awkward on the P series though. Still re-adjusting my thinking on this lineup is a constant affair, and so far, my estimation of this family is improving with time.

ca Offline REDBIRD

• New User
Reply #744 on: November 28, 2020, 08:20:19 PM
Carried it for a year now. It’s pretty great. I prefer it over my Wave even though its not as robust or has no diamond file.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 09:46:15 PM by REDBIRD »

Offline Yoda mpb

Reply #745 on: December 31, 2020, 06:10:20 PM
Well my new P4 has arrived today. First impressions are great, except access to the inner most tools on the awl side. It actually feels very much like an original Wave.

Tbh I would not have paid the full price at £169 in the UK but I managed to get it for £120. It was a second with inscribing over written in block.

I haven't tried it in anger yet but will let you know my thoughts. I'm new to the site but I've had leathermans since my first wave in 2001ish. I have built up a nice collection and usually carry an MUT, skeletool or Signal but always found I missed a file and scissors.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #746 on: December 31, 2020, 08:26:25 PM
Well my new P4 has arrived today. First impressions are great, except access to the inner most tools on the awl side. It actually feels very much like an original Wave.

Tbh I would not have paid the full price at £169 in the UK but I managed to get it for £120. It was a second with inscribing over written in block.

I haven't tried it in anger yet but will let you know my thoughts. I'm new to the site but I've had leathermans since my first wave in 2001ish. I have built up a nice collection and usually carry an MUT, skeletool or Signal but always found I missed a file and scissors.

Are the inside tools on the awl side hard to open?

I mean, they should open just as easy with one hand as the other side, maybe the tool is still a bit stiff and needs to be worked in a bit more?

Offline stugumby

Reply #747 on: December 31, 2020, 10:12:31 PM
I started saving my quarters change since they came out and finally got a P-2 for a really good price on the bay. My first impressions were im glad i didnt pay full price for this thing. The screwdrivers are thicker and have no blade play when out for use but the other side which has the awl, can opener etc are much thinner and have a minor wobble, but definitley solidly locked into their hooks. I also bought the T and K series as they emerged on the secondary market so i was already used to the tool set. The small sharp anti wobble bumps to hold the handles dont really bother me much, just when im opening the main blade the lower handle has a minor side wobble. I will try to lightly tighten the pivot screw on the awl side to see if it helps the nano motion. overall its a seemingly workable contraption, definitley not a match for any swisstool or wave charge etc. For a low second market price it should be a good edc at work tool, havent tried the wire cutter function yet to see if it locks up the pivot. Currently have about 35$ in quarters saved for the P-4. and am watching the bay closely for a good buy in now deal, im done with the last second sniper bid action. Happy holidays to you all and stay safe out there.

Offline Yoda mpb

Reply #748 on: December 31, 2020, 10:19:30 PM
Are the inside tools on the awl side hard to open?

I mean, they should open just as easy with one hand as the other side, maybe the tool is still a bit stiff and needs to be worked in a bit more?

It is starting to loosen up.... I agree the drivers are thicker. Its definitely over priced but I do like it so far. It seems to have all I want, I guess time will tell.

us Offline MisterGizmo

Reply #749 on: February 04, 2021, 09:48:50 PM
I am loving my P4. I sold off my Surge and picked up the P4 when Amazon dropped the price $20 last year. I am happier with the smaller size and weight, the one-handed operation comes in handy and makes the thing more fun to use than any other multitool I have had. I use it daily and have never had it fail to do what I needed. In about 9 months of use I have only experienced very minor tightening of the pliers after cutting some wire and it was easy to loosen it back up with a few open-close cycles. I know others have had bigger problems with the pliers but that has not been my experience, so I guess there were some QC issues with these.

Now that I know I am happy with it and keeping it as my daily carry I am going to add the 4 mm bit driver and horizontal sheath from ZapWizard. Might also get the t-shank adaptor in order to add the Surge diamond file back in... I do miss the bigger file since switching from the Surge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%