Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free P2/P4 Club and Feedback Thread

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Free P2/P4 Club and Feedback Thread
Reply #900 on: February 22, 2023, 03:16:11 AM
Just went through here and it seems I never officially joined this club. Had my P4 out for a cleaning and lube when the mail arrived.

Don’t remember it being as heavy as it feels now. Curious to weigh it vs some of my other tools later. Still a huge fan of the pocket clip though. Makes me want a Bond and wish the Rebar had the same clip.

(Image removed from quote.)

Welcome to the club, Harley :woohoo:

Great pics :tu: :like:

:nanadance:           :nanadance:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #901 on: July 21, 2023, 07:34:18 PM
 :ahhh

ie Offline ed_is_dead

Reply #902 on: September 17, 2023, 04:00:41 PM

The new and the old

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #903 on: September 17, 2023, 04:04:52 PM
Great pic,  ed :salute: :like: :like:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #904 on: September 22, 2023, 06:51:35 PM
Is this open to T2/T4 owners or should there be another thread for those?

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #905 on: September 23, 2023, 12:32:32 AM
I forget if we have an owners club for those :dunno:

Seems like we do though  :think:

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #906 on: September 23, 2023, 05:40:24 PM
Awesome pics, guys!   :tu:

I forget if we have an owners club for those :dunno:

Seems like we do though  :think:

Here ya go:  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87798.msg2265298.html#msg2265298

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #907 on: September 23, 2023, 08:18:29 PM
All of this talk about the Arc, along with Blade HQ saying the P4 is discontinued, has renewed my interest in the P4.  I have never been a huge fan of the Free series, because the magnets - while innovative for sure - just don't make deployment that great (for me) here in the real world.  It has always seemed unnatural, but it does work.  Still, props to Leatherman for coming up with the idea.

That being said, I am carrying a P4 as of late, and have two more unopened P4's in the Special Reserve Collection just in case they disappear forever.  I get a sick feeling when an MT is discontinued (goodbye, dear friend), and the only medicine is to have one or several backups in the Special Reserve Collection.  I emailed Leatherman twice this week asking if the P4 was discontinued, and they haven't responded though sometimes it takes a few days.  My experience with Leatherman CS is that they don't know any more than we do about the state of things.  One CS lassie told me recently that CS is only told about things a couple of days before it happens.  As I noted in another thread, I would not be surprised if the P4 were disappeared, since the Arc is basically a P4 with eyeliner and perfume to put us in a love trance - along with an $80 upcharge.

If nuclear war decimates the planet, the DNA from these P4's now held in cryosleep can be used to re-establish the MT Kingdom.  This is my gift to humanity.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #908 on: September 24, 2023, 01:32:39 AM
Awesome pics, guys!   :tu:

Here ya go:  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87798.msg2265298.html#msg2265298

Thanks, Rich! Just got my hands on a T4 and didn't knew where to boast about it...

:D :D

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #909 on: September 25, 2023, 11:14:37 PM
Leatherman CS says:

Thank you for contacting Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. The Free P4 has not officially been discontinued. However, we sadly do not have an expected date as to when this item will be in stock again. Please sign up for an email notification on the item's product page on our website so you don’t miss an opportunity to purchase one when they return.

Having previously been told by Leatherman CS that they don't know if an item has been discontinued until a couple of days before the announcement, I translate the reply as meaning that either the PS4 has been discontinued, or it has not.

:dunno:

But its better to have a few extras on hand - just in case. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #910 on: September 25, 2023, 11:55:08 PM
Could be a shortage or certain parts due to the ARC then :think: Thanks for emailing, pn :tu: :like:

Offline Quizerno

• New User
Reply #911 on: October 16, 2023, 02:08:21 PM
For the longest time I had been very bitter about the P2. I fell for the hype, and asked for one as a gift. But the novelty wore off quick since the 3 useless tools (File, Flathead Ruler, Can Opener) kind of make you realize that you're not  getting the full benefits of the set. (and I'm too cheap to buy one of the zapwizard adapters)

However, returning to it and adding a bit of oil to the blade pivot, has made it more attractive to me. If you utilize it as a minimalist tool with an emergency set of pliers, it feels a bit better since I'm trying to cut down on on my carry.

I still think it's really insulting for Leatherman to finally release the ARC and include the bit drivers, long file, and smoother opening blade and make Free owners feel a bit robbed.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #912 on: October 17, 2023, 09:51:10 PM
My FREE P4 is the best EDC multitool.
I was skeptical about it without holding or using it.
The ability to open all the tools without breaking my nails (Hello Swisstool!), is a huge improvement (for me).
It looks nice, the quality is great, and a big plus is that it can be easily modified for left-handed use.
 :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #913 on: October 18, 2023, 03:04:26 AM

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #915 on: October 18, 2023, 11:32:50 AM
Thanks Vadim :hatsoff:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #916 on: December 09, 2023, 06:30:08 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #917 on: December 09, 2023, 06:31:10 PM

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #918 on: December 13, 2023, 12:27:17 AM
REI has the free P4 in stock and price at $111.93. Usually prices ending in 0.93 are being phased out. Might be an indication that the p4 is being retired.

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #919 on: December 13, 2023, 12:32:04 AM
Poncho, I'm betting you're happy with the arc. And it's doubtful this drives prices up on P4, but if retired, finding a nib example might be tough for collectors.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 12:38:13 AM by cdcengineer »

gb Online Crunchie64

Reply #920 on: December 13, 2023, 09:54:05 AM
Poncho, I'm betting you're happy with the arc. And it's doubtful this drives prices up on P4, but if retired, finding a nib example might be tough for collectors.

And once you realise what you’ve been missing, you’ll need a user to go with your NIB collection one.

And a backup.

I think the P4 is still my favourite and most carried Leatherman.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #921 on: December 13, 2023, 03:15:59 PM
I would be fine with a user or close to new for my collection  :D I am not extremely fussy about them unless I really love the tool. I haven't yet bought a P4 so I am only wanting one to fill the gap in the collection at this point  :whistle: ;)

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #922 on: December 13, 2023, 03:47:56 PM
And once you realise what you’ve been missing, you’ll need a user to go with your NIB collection one.

And a backup.

I think the P4 is still my favourite and most carried Leatherman.

Do you prefer it over the arc?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #923 on: December 13, 2023, 04:15:11 PM
REI has the free P4 in stock and price at $111.93. Usually prices ending in 0.93 are being phased out. Might be an indication that the p4 is being retired.

With you saying that and pointing out the reduced price I may or may not have bought one from REI :dwts: :rofl: :D

gb Online Crunchie64

Reply #924 on: December 13, 2023, 04:58:05 PM
Do you prefer it over the arc?

Absolutely!

I use flat head screwdrivers more than anything “fancy”, and like to have a serrated blade handy.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #925 on: December 13, 2023, 05:50:19 PM
With you saying that and pointing out the reduced price I may or may not have bought one from REI :dwts: :rofl: :D

I bought one at REI, and I don't even like the magnetic deployment.  But I have 4x of these now to preserve a little bit of LM history, because when they are gone - they are gone.  You can quote me on that.

The P4 has been absent from the Leatherman website for at least 3 months.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #926 on: December 13, 2023, 08:10:56 PM
I would say that they have been trying to get rid of excess P2/P4 stock for a while now and that may be why they waited so long to release the ARC :think: just pure conjecture on that but it would make sense from a business stand point to get rid of something you already have before releasing something better that will replace it :D

us Offline JonesE

Reply #927 on: December 14, 2023, 01:30:13 AM

Thanks cdcengineer! I ordered a replacement for one I sold off a year or so ago. I ended up paying $86.00 since I had some dividend saved up. I will give it another chance.

JonesE

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #928 on: December 14, 2023, 03:33:17 AM
Im glad the post helped some of you spend your Christmas money. I pulled the trigger on an ARC with medical discount. Got bit kits too.

I've been carrying the P2 for a long while now, but I've been collecting charges (not sure why aside from an addiction). I view the P2 as disposable because I think it's replacement value is 75ish. The tip is busted too.

Might either save the arc and carry an old Ti that LM replaced the plier head on, or start carrying the arc. But even with the discount it's such an expensive tool to replace if lost. 

I'm curious if the implements on the arc are as weak as the P2. I find the flat and Philips easily round off vs the charges tough tool set. 

It'll be interesting to see the new Free lineup. They gotta have something planned with the crunch and alleged P2 / P4 retirements.  There's gotta be a tool with serrated blade as LM will need parts to repair P2s.

My P2 has early 2019 date code but i doubt itll be collectible.  I like the ease of deployment on the Free, but never got used to not having a saw and bit driver.  I would've got the P4, but knowing the arc with bit driver was coming, I held off. Merry Holidays
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 03:41:38 AM by cdcengineer »

us Offline Legend

Reply #929 on: December 14, 2023, 05:12:46 AM
Im glad the post helped some of you spend your Christmas money. I pulled the trigger on an ARC with medical discount. Got bit kits too.

I've been carrying the P2 for a long while now, but I've been collecting charges (not sure why aside from an addiction). I view the P2 as disposable because I think it's replacement value is 75ish. The tip is busted too.

Might either save the arc and carry an old Ti that LM replaced the plier head on, or start carrying the arc. But even with the discount it's such an expensive tool to replace if lost. 

I'm curious if the implements on the arc are as weak as the P2. I find the flat and Philips easily round off vs the charges tough tool set. 

It'll be interesting to see the new Free lineup. They gotta have something planned with the crunch and alleged P2 / P4 retirements.  There's gotta be a tool with serrated blade as LM will need parts to repair P2s.

My P2 has early 2019 date code but i doubt itll be collectible.  I like the ease of deployment on the Free, but never got used to not having a saw and bit driver.  I would've got the P4, but knowing the arc with bit driver was coming, I held off. Merry Holidays
You wanna sell that P2?  I’m curious to try it as a slim EDC alternative.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%