Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CAN OPENERS... Convenient but not necessary.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
CAN OPENERS... Convenient but not necessary.
on: April 18, 2019, 08:00:06 PM
So I was mentioning in the hacked leatherman thead that you don't need the can opener to open cans successfully but was struggling to describe how to do it cleanly.

Here you go.. hope this clarifies that you can easily remove a can opener from a plier based multi-tool and have no issues opening a can. Sorry for the fumbling on the video  :facepalm:.

:cheers:
H.G.

https://youtu.be/E6Ne8GyB9D8

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: CAN OPENERS... Convenient but not necessary.
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 09:08:02 PM
But the Leatherman can opener has the wire stripper!

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 09:15:29 PM
First of all, nice Supergirl cameo. :)

I don't mind my MT having no openers. I do not really need to open cans on a regular basis. I do it because I like it. :D
Still, it does more than just open cans, and I'd rather part with a flathead before the can opener goes.

You may be able to open a can faster with pliers than the actual can opener, although I kinda doubt it, having opened many. The standard LM locking one is pretty fast.
Even if you can manage it, the result will be messy, to say the least. And time does not matter that much, really. Certainly not the few seconds you'll save, and if only one option is available, it makes no difference what time the other option could have achieved.

Still, your point is that it can be done with pliers, not that it will be quicker, and I agree. Of course, if your MT does not have a can opener, and you don't open cans regularly, sure, you could get away with the pliers, or other implements, which might even be quicker than the pliers.

Personally, I like can openers, especially the good ones. There are other implements that see far less use. My Surge has two fixed flatheads that I consider wasted tool space.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:37:36 PM
I don't need a can opener in a multitool (e.g. the can opener on the Surge seems a really odd tool to have in that multitool, to me), but I really like a can opener in a SAK!

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 01:41:54 AM
I don't need a can opener in a multitool (e.g. the can opener on the Surge seems a really odd tool to have in that multitool, to me), but I really like a can opener in a SAK!

If you don't have one on a SAK, then opening cans is really hard. I was just trying to show that Plier based tools don't actually NEED them but its nice if there is space. For all my mods, space is at a premium so I was happy to prove to myself that I don't need the tool and still have all its functions. I've never used a dedicated wire stripper if I have a one handed blade handy like the one on the wave. you can even close the blade and push lightly on it, pinching the wire and it works even better than the cutters on the opener imo.

I don't actually know if its faster..but I can also tell that the more practice you have with this basic method the faster and cleaner it is. I wouldn't mind perfecting it just so that ppl don't have to go through the hassle of trying to figure out on their own. For instance, the other method involves brute forcing the lid..not the safest or cleanest idea.

Cheers,
H.G.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:50:35 AM by Happy Gilmore »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 02:20:14 AM
The only tool I've taken the can opener off was a BO one on my Fuse mod, as I'm lead to believe that's not something you want in your food. I left the one on my BO Diesel, but only because it functions OK as an awl/scribe. I carry the Fuse with a Case Scout Jr which has a can opener, and usually carry a Swiss knife with the Diesel.

I have seen a few different ways of getting into cans without openers, including knives, and abrading the seam with a rock (which was surprisingly fast). Might be the first time I've seen someone rip one open with pliers though.  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 03:47:07 AM
The only tool I've taken the can opener off was a BO one on my Fuse mod, as I'm lead to believe that's not something you want in your food. I left the one on my BO Diesel, but only because it functions OK as an awl/scribe. I carry the Fuse with a Case Scout Jr which has a can opener, and usually carry a Swiss knife with the Diesel.

I have seen a few different ways of getting into cans without openers, including knives, and abrading the seam with a rock (which was surprisingly fast). Might be the first time I've seen someone rip one open with pliers though.  :cheers:

I want to try it some more, I really feel like there is a proper way to do this that is both clean and fast. If I wasnt trying so hard to keep the can in focus I would have done a better job imo.

Cheers,
H.G.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 05:16:15 PM
I really feel like there is a proper way to do this that is both clean and fast.

How about sticking a P-38 in your wallet?   :pok:   :P

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 07:47:54 PM
How about sticking a P-38 in your wallet?   :pok:   :P

I always have pliers, and now I know how to successfully open cans with them so why? I rarely open cans regardless, so being able to is good enough to justify not having a dedicated tool.

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 08:17:58 PM

spoon if the only thing i use :hatsoff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmTg2ZfJCEI

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 09:58:20 PM

This is awesome lol, I'm impressed! I for one think can openers are totally useless, we have one in the kitchen and I do not need to carry one daily on me.
The spoon technique though, I like that :)  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 03:56:05 PM
Interesting to note, took the opportunity to test this method some more while making some chilli.

I want to clarify a few things on this technique. For one, Needle Nose are much better than Blunt Nose for this. Also smaller pliers were easier to use. The best plier was the spring loaded sidekick/wingman, Spirit X was the next best, and the rebar/signal were close behind. Big pliers make it harder.

https://pin.it/6gueki3abnnwkb

Cheers,
HG

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 04:35:27 PM

That is ridiculously cool. I have to try that.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 11:21:45 PM
That is ridiculously cool. I have to try that.

it is really cool but I don't carry a spoon in my pocket do you lol?

here is the picture that didn't show up in my last post

I was getting really good at it by the end. Spring loaded pliers are perfect for this task. Also worth noting that you really cant go past 50% of the can's circumference as the can gets too soft. This is not much of an issue as you can easily bend up half the lid with the pliers (not recommended to use your hands for this).

Cheers,
H.G.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 10:11:18 AM
it is really cool but I don't carry a spoon in my pocket do you lol?

here is the picture that didn't show up in my last post

(Image removed from quote.)

I was getting really good at it by the end. Spring loaded pliers are perfect for this task. Also worth noting that you really cant go past 50% of the can's circumference as the can gets too soft. This is not much of an issue as you can easily bend up half the lid with the pliers (not recommended to use your hands for this).

Cheers,
H.G.

I don't carry cans in my pocket either so it's good. :D I do have a spoon in my camping bag though which is where I might have need of a can opener in the wild. Otherwise, I still don't need to carry a can opener, I'll be somewhere where I have one already, like a kitchen or in reach of a SAK or LM with one on board.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%