Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is there a leatherman for me?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Is there a leatherman for me?
on: April 30, 2019, 11:26:33 PM
So,

I’ve tried many times to find a LM that I liked. I’ve been through the blast, wave, skeletool, rebar and wingman. The main, #1 problem I’ve had is that the inside tools are often very stiff and nail breakers.

I’m intrigued by the free series, but based on past performance (and the fact I don’t really need a MT), I’m leery spending that kind of money.

I actually have been thinking about the PST. I like that it seems to be one of the more pocketable full size tools. I’m unsure whether it would have the same nail breaking issues.

Thoughts from the experts?
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Is there a leatherman for me?
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 11:37:23 PM
Yes there is  :D

With lokis wrenches you can adjust any LM to your taste. My Blast has very easy to open inside tools as do all my other Leathermans   :dunno:

The one exception was my OG Wave before I adjusted it . I think the PST is a great MT again if adjusted properly easy to open tools.

What about a Sideclip ?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:39:54 PM
Yes there is  :D

With lokis wrenches you can adjust any LM to your taste. My Blast has very easy to open inside tools as do all my other Leathermans   :dunno:

The one exception was my OG Wave before I adjusted it . I think the PST is a great MT again if adjusted properly easy to open tools.

What about a Sideclip ?

I’ve thought about the sideclip. I like it, though they seem a bit spendy. I kind of would like it to have a file too.

Maybe I should look into the loki tools. I kind of forgot about them.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:00:41 AM
You might very well give the Blast another shot. It doesn't have tool clumping which you may prefer  :tu:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 12:56:32 AM
You might very well give the Blast another shot. It doesn't have tool clumping which you may prefer  :tu:

I seem to remember it clumping, but my memory could be wrong.

Clumping isn’t a deal breaker, as long as the tools deploy easily.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 01:05:11 AM
 :iagree: with what Steve said. I loosen most of my MTs up a bit when I get them, if they have screwed pivots. :)

Right between; staying in if I swing it around and being ever-so easy to extract the implements.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 01:17:12 AM
Out of curiousity, which MTs do you find the implements easy to extract? It may help narrow down why extraction is difficult. I've found many new tools(of several different brands) I've bought to be similar in the amount of pulling force to extract the implements. Though, that said, one of my two Rebars came with an issue, where the pivot was free if one tool was out, but when all implements were stowed, they were excessively tight. The file, being so aggressive, ripped the tip of my thumbnail off. Sent it back to LM and they replaced the whole tool. My guess was the pivot barrel holes were drilled slightly off from the factory.
That isn't common though and the replacement and other Rebar were fine to use.
Another curious question, if you don't mind?
Were the tools you purchased used or new? If they are used, you may have to do some maintenance to get them back up to snuff. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 01:23:36 AM
Out of curiousity, which MTs do you find the implements easy to extract? It may help narrow down why extraction is difficult. I've found many new tools I've bought to be similar in the amount of pulling force to extract the implements. Though, that said, one of my two Rebars came with an issue, where the pivot was free if one tool was out, but when all implements were stowed, they were excessively tight. The file, being so aggressive, ripped the tip of my thumbnail off. Sent it back to LM and they replaced the whole tool. My guess was the pivot barrel holes were drilled slightly off from the factory.
That isn't common though and the replacement and other Rebar were fine to use.
Another curious question, if you don't mind?
Were the tools you purchased used or new? If they are used, you have to do some maintenance when you get them, since some people neglect their MT a bit.

Only the skeletool was used, but that was more of a case where I just didn’t like the tool for my uses. I should have clarified that. Same with the wingman,  really.

For some reason the inside tools on the wave and the shorter tools (not the blades or files) on the blast and rebar were very tight. The way the little hook for you nail on the philips is shaped really digs under my nail when they are that tight. The wave was by far the worst, though.

The rebar also had other issues, particularly with blade play and the locks not seating properly. Though the rebar is probably the one I like the most as far a tool load out and over all design. Maybe with Loki’s tools I could take one apart and fix any other issues like the lockup stuff :think: Or maybe they have gotten better since that first run  :dunno:

Although by the time I get the LM, the Loki tools and put labor into it, I would just be better off to try the free  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 01:38:58 AM
Well, that is true. However, keep in mind that the Free has major compromises in tool length, because of the way it operates. A Rebar and Blast have longer, and some better implements. That said, you don't need fingernails to operate the Free, so that is a major positive, and one I feel is worth the trade off of shorter implements.

The tiny file on the Free is precision cut(think Rebar and Vic Spirit files) and double sided, so the aggressiveness makes up a bit of the shortened profile.  :)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 01:42:32 AM
Good points. So many options  :ahhh

:D

In your opinion, since you own the spirit as well, which LM would compare favorably in terms of utility, but be different enough to justify getting it?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 01:56:09 AM
Good points. So many options  :ahhh

:D

In your opinion, since you own the spirit as well, which LM would compare favorably in terms of utility, but be different enough to justify getting it?
Rebar(Blast is nice, but if it breaks, you'll just be getting a Rebar for replacement, so why not leave out the middle tool). It is inboard only implements, but if that doesn't bother you, the tool is great over all. Especially since they can be had $30 used sometimes. The pliers head is just about perfect for most tasks and the large cutters are a plus.
In all honesty, Leatherman doesn't make a direct competitor to the Spirit. Not in my opinion anyway. I have my issues with the Spirit, but it is a great tool for an average user who doesn't mind paying for a premium tool. The Rebar seems a bit agricultural compared to the Spirit. Though, at twice the price, I'd hope the Spirit would be more refined, and it is. The Spirit is much higher in terms of fit & finish.

Now, since my waxing of the Spirit is done, I will say a couple of things; the Rebar pliers are far more useful, to me anyway, than the Spirit pliers(strength and cutters primarily). The Rebar drivers bite a bit better, the steel is a bit harder, and metal dust won't cause you a lot of heartache(since the Rebar can be disassembled). Oh, and don't drop the Spirit off of a ladder. That doesn't end well. The Rebar could be damaged that way as well, but not as likely. The poor tolerances on the Rebar make it a betterhard work tool. But, that all said, the Spirit(and LM Free) are a smurf load of fun to play with. The Rebar isn't much fun to fiddle with. IMHO of course.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 02:09:29 AM
Thanks for your input. I think that’s why I like the rebar. It seems to have a nice tool density, but the inside opening and replaceable cutters make it enough different from the spirit to seem “worth it”.

I also think that’s why I like the Free. It’s enough different, especially with the all one hand tools, that it almost seems worth it. But it is a harder sell.

Maybe a used rebar is the way to go.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 02:13:10 AM
And if you need to loosen/tighten it a bit, let me know and I can loan you my loki-wrenches. Just ship them back when you're done. :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:30:42 AM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 02:35:06 AM
Thanks, that’s very generous! I’ll let you know if I do.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 02:38:07 AM
You're welcome. :)

Good luck on the hunt for a Rebar, man! :cheers:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 04:06:41 AM
If you do not need the scissors and dedicated flat head screw drivers, I recommend the Charge ALX or, better yet, Charge XTi. These two models are identical, and have one flat bit driver on each side of the handle. Those drivers are easy to pull out.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%