Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Clip idea. Thoughts?

us Offline Manny Sanchez III

Clip idea. Thoughts?
on: May 01, 2019, 01:50:49 AM
I’d like you guys’ input on a clip idea I had.

I tried the recommendation someone gave me about putting a suspension clip on a little S-Biner for a quick disconnect on the clip (since I dislike that  they always get in the way when I use the awl on my Alox Pioneers). The idea is sound, but it makes my SAK sit over 1 1/2” lower in my pocket and it sits horizontally, which is kind of uncomfortable for me since I feel it against my leg. So I had an idea for a quick disconnect style clip and made a rough “prototype” using a paper clip. When you squeeze the sides together it opens up and allows you to remove it from the ring. I tried it out for half the day and I gotta say I like it. It sits up vertically against the seam of my pocket and makes the SAK less noticeable. I can barely feel it in my pocket. I just gotta figure out how to make one out of better materials.

Any suggestions?  Thoughts? Does someone already make a clip this style and, if so, where can I get one?

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Clip idea. Thoughts?
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 02:05:06 AM
I just use these for quick connects...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 02:37:26 AM
I just gotta figure out how to make one out of better materials.

A fairly straight forward option could be bending spring steel or music wire of a suitable dimension? (If that is not exclusive, springy or corrosion resistant enough you might have a look materials like nitinol, phosphor bronze or beryllium bronze with a suitable heat treat after shaping).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 06:52:52 AM
A fairly straight forward option could be bending spring steel or music wire of a suitable dimension? (If that is not exclusive, springy or corrosion resistant enough you might have a look materials like nitinol, phosphor bronze or beryllium bronze with a suitable heat treat after shaping).

Lol, I tried using a small section from a wire hanger and I’m already getting frustrated  :D

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 08:58:31 AM

Lol, I tried using a small section from a wire hanger and I’m already getting frustrated  :D

A wire hanger can be made of so many things, so chances are the material isn't all that suitable for your purpose. I would look for some material used in springs as suggested above. You then get the basic choice of either: 1. Aiming to bend already spring hard materials into shape, or 2. Bending material in its soft form but then having to heat treat afterwards to achieve strength and stiffness. Heat treating can be less than DIY friendly so number 1 is likely the best choice.

(As you are in the US another alternative might be 17-7 PH stainless steel wire. Usually sold in a form that require heat treat though).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 09:50:48 AM
Try a local fishing shop. They usually have things like you made. Speed clips, fast locks etc.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 12:33:21 PM
These are the type of clips I tend to use.
IMG_20190501_113217_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190501_113217_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 34.41 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 09:07:40 PM
Try a local fishing shop. They usually have things like you made. Speed clips, fast locks etc.

You just blew my mind sir! I bet there’s something in my tackle box I can use. If not, it’s a good excuse to go to the local Bass Pro!  :whistle:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 04:33:14 AM
You just blew my mind sir! I bet there’s something in my tackle box I can use. If not, it’s a good excuse to go to the local Bass Pro!  :whistle:

Please keep us informed of your findings/ creations.  This is an intriguing idea you are pursuing.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21