Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small Tinker Awl Mod

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Small Tinker Awl Mod
on: May 02, 2019, 01:50:41 PM
So I love my Pioneers, especially the inline awl. With no specific function, I find that I use it a lot for general scraping, hole making, scoring and other rough work I don’t want to use the blade on.

Problem is, I also like the 84mm small tinker, especially for light EDC carry. So would love to swap out the small blade for an inline awl.

Looking at the geometry, it looks do-able, but the awl thickness needs reducing if you want to do a swap out without major rework of the SAK.

Measuring the awl, its thickness tapers from the pivot to the tip, so only part of the tool needs grinding a little thinner, by about 0.4mm. Still plenty of meat on the tool, so I’m not worried about losing a little metal.

Donors included a Pioneer and Recruit. Wanted the non-back tool Recruit as I don’t want the back awl if I’m adding an inline awl. More an aesthetic issue than anything practical.

Soaked the Recruit in hot water which made it easy to pop off the scales without damaging the lugs. Drilling the rivets was a lot easier on the Recruit than on the Pioneer. Renewed my respect for the Alox modders, and I don’t think I’ll be trying an Alox mod until I have more practice and tools!

I spent a little while slowly grinding down the awl on a wet stone to the right thickness to do a test fit. Put a 2.5mm brass bushing in the awl’s pivot hole to reduce the diameter a little. Fits together well, but I want to reprofile the awl’s cam as the back spring is a little proud with the tool open or closed. The final build will be with the Tinker’s back spring, so the test fit is just to get to the folding geometry acceptable.

For brass rods, used 2.5mm stock filed down in my Dremel. Cut 25mm lengths, spun one side down, turned around and did the other. Used the brass collars from the original pins as reference as they are the tightest element of the construct.

Next up will be the reprofile of the awl’s cam, disassembly of the Tinker and reassembly with new parts. Aiming to use this weekend to finish the job.

As my first SAK mod, I’m getting along OK. It’s a great exercise to learn how these little marvels work on the inside. More pics and progress will follow, hopefully leading up to a successful new build!
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

za Offline Max Stone

Re: Small Tinker Awl Mod
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 01:53:50 PM
Some more pics...  :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 02:14:27 PM
Looking good Max  :like:

:popcorn:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 02:38:14 PM
I would have kept the back-awl, but great mod anyway! :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 02:41:56 PM
Thanks guys.  :hatsoff:

Not quite there yet.  :whistle:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 03:48:31 PM
Looks good Max  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

se Offline RF52

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 04:12:53 PM
Nice :like: Looking forward to seeing it finished :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 06:38:58 PM
Looking good and as the others, I am looking forward to seeing the final result

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 10:41:28 PM
Well guys, I could not wait for the weekend.  :facepalm:

Reprofiled the cam on the awl and the test fit was perfect so decided to go ahead and strip the Tinker to fit the new tool.

Hot water trick worked well again removing the scales without damaging the inner stud holes (or whatever they’re called).

Assembly all went well until I tried the snap on the main blade with the awl opened. Because the scales weren’t tight, the blade tip came down slightly off to one side and caught the back of the awl’s cam, giving a small ding near the blade’s tip that I had to grind out. Could have kicked myself, as I did the exact same thing with the Recruit’s blade in the test fit yesterday.  :rant:

All slotted back together nicely with no other problems. trimmed and peened the pins. Happy with the tightness and all the tools snapping nicely.

Scales snapped on tight with no gaps and no glue needed.

Excuse the dirty hands.  :)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 10:42:55 PM
Nice work Max  :like: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 10:45:58 PM
Thanks WS.   :hatsoff:

Here’s the finished mod compared to a standard Tinker Small. A minor difference but I think a much better location for the awl?

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 10:49:59 PM
Great job looking really good Max  :cheers: :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 11:09:55 PM
Thanks WS.  :hatsoff:  :salute:

If I was brave, I’d try this awl mod on a Cadet. But I’m just not ready to tackle those pins with the Alox scales. There’s no forgiveness there with the slightest mistake.  :facepalm:

But to be honest, I’m quite happy with the outcome of the Small Tinker mod...and I think it has a name, “Stinker”  :pok:

I like the clean lines with the back awl removed. I think I may just ask for a mod badge? It may encourage me to try another, more ambitious 84mm mod, like a Stinker X with scissors. :dunno:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 11:24:46 PM
Here’s the finished mod compared to a standard Tinker Small. A minor difference but I think a much better location for the awl?
No question about it, inline is the proper location for the awl/reamer.  Nice job!
- Steve

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 11:37:26 PM
Thanks smiller43147  :hatsoff:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 09:53:35 AM
Fantastic mod Max  :salute: Every SAK deserves an in-line awl.  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 11:01:13 AM
Fantastic mod Max  :salute: Every SAK deserves an in-line awl.  :cheers:

It's a good 'un, for sure. :tu:  I'm torn between the awl and small blade though...  I use the small blade so often, but the awl is so useful. :-\

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 11:15:14 AM
It's a good 'un, for sure. :tu:  I'm torn between the awl and small blade though...  I use the small blade so often, but the awl is so useful. :-\
This! I know exactly what you mean!

The small blade is great for most tasks that I use a knife for and is very easy to control.. But the awl can do a lot to and right at this time the awl wins.. But next week might be different..

I would rather have small blade and awl than the big blade

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 04:25:18 AM
Great mod, well done!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 07:39:01 AM
Thanks Brock O Lee  :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%