Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LEAST useful screwdriver on PST/PST II

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
LEAST useful screwdriver on PST/PST II
on: November 09, 2023, 04:01:38 PM
The PST II is, in my opinion, the closest to an ideal light EDC setup as LM has ever put into one tool. Scissors, nice file, real drivers, and no extra junk (looking at you, internal lanyard ring). The only real fault I can find is the lack of an awl. But, I don't think I actually need three different sizes of flat head. My gut tells me to swap out (or maybe just shape down) the medium one, since large is most useful for non driver duties like scraping, but I'm concerned that the medium will fit a large screw but the large won't fit a medium one. Any thoughts?

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: LEAST useful screwdriver on PST/PST II
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 05:05:13 PM
You could remove can opener and install PST awl to place of it. But downside is then you dont have can opener, i dunno how much you really need it and would you carry SAK to pair it ( that maybe would make installing awl pretty useless also) but if you really wanna keep can opener then you could mod large flat head bit smaller ( large flathead width is 7mm and medium 5mm) so if you can make large flathead 6mm wide and you basicly still have both.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 05:37:40 PM
 :iagree:

I removed the can opener and replaced it with an awl from a PST. I've never ever used a can opener on my Leatherman's to open a can.

* 20231109_103929.jpg (Filesize: 332.53 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 05:45:32 PM
I'm in the minority that uses the can opener (occasionally for cans, more often as a package opener) reasonably often, so I'd rather lose a driver.

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 05:53:13 PM
I'm in the minority that uses the can opener (occasionally for cans, more often as a package opener) reasonably often, so I'd rather lose a driver.
If i had to choose between large and mddium i would ditch medium and narrow large flathead bit ao you can keep benefits of both (kinda)

Only Tools Matters

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 09:18:09 PM
I also love the PST2, think they should bring it back (with a clip perhaps). It's really good.
I also have never used the can opener but to open packages and a bottle or two.
I've used the static part of the scissors to pierce, but as I'd hate to break the best feature of the tool, I guess an awl in place of a flathead sounds nice. Here in Europe especially, I think it is safe to say there are very few flathead screws left, except in old homes.
I'll have to think it over.

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 09:20:02 PM
The PST II is, in my opinion, the closest to an ideal light EDC setup as LM has ever put into one tool. Scissors, nice file, real drivers, and no extra junk (looking at you, internal lanyard ring). The only real fault I can find is the lack of an awl. But, I don't think I actually need three different sizes of flat head. My gut tells me to swap out (or maybe just shape down) the medium one, since large is most useful for non driver duties like scraping, but I'm concerned that the medium will fit a large screw but the large won't fit a medium one. Any thoughts?
Just by curiosity, what are your general uses of an awl ?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2023, 11:44:21 PM
Poking small/starter holes in things, occasionally as a secondary "beater" blade, marking/scoring soft materials.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 12:47:44 AM
If you are going to keep the can opener then I would suggest keeping the large driver and turning the medium driver into an awl.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 02:16:28 AM
That does sound easiest.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 01:55:12 PM
That does sound easiest.

Here's one I made for my Pulse using a medium Fuse driver.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%