Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods

ZapWizard · 511 · 119827

Offline vadsoom

Re: ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods
Reply #330 on: May 01, 2020, 07:02:08 AM
Wow! Very impressive!

Can you comment when you will be making them available?

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #331 on: May 01, 2020, 02:28:12 PM
That looks excellent  :like: :tu:
Would love to see one for the LM Wave  :dd:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #332 on: May 01, 2020, 02:53:35 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Rev 5 of the T-Shank is working great. I had the video and product page all ready to go when I realized that I forgot to record how to tap the M2 holes. When I went and did this on the 2nd part (mirrored version) it was quite hard, and I am glad I didn't break the tap. But as always I don't want my customers to end up frustrated or scared to do a step, so I have ordered one more (Rev 6). But due to the pandemic, it will take even longer to arrive. Keep turned in. In the mean time enjoy this teaser image.

That looks amazing. :like:

Offline hbcorpse

Reply #333 on: May 12, 2020, 10:06:37 AM
Can’t wait to see the final version of the T-Shank-inator!

Hope everyone is safe and healthy...

england Offline Rocket surgery

Reply #334 on: May 25, 2020, 10:19:13 AM
So this is my second post to the forum. Based in the UK and used to carry a surge because I had a reasonable need for it. About 2 years ago medical stuff shook my world, and that paired with the medication given to help (opiates) means I can no longer work, drive, and walk slow as heck using a stick. Not only that, but the nock on effect is I can no longer carry my surge ( :cry: )
I have been looking high and low for a heavy duty (edit- by heavy duty I mean full size rather than keychain) multitool with the parts I actually use on there. Have worked out a trade with a buddy for his P2 - given it only has one blade on, once the T-shank adapter is out and my PayPal is empty, then I will finally get back to having a decent tool on my side.
I guess what I'm saying is a sincere thankyou, and to let you know that although I'm sure to some it's just a handy add-on to a tool they rarely use, but to others (atleast me) it can mean the world, and give the ability to have a bit of their own personal normality back.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:55:55 AM by Rocket surgery »
When I inevitably pass away, please ask my partner not to sell my EDC stuff for what I told her I paid.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #335 on: May 25, 2020, 03:01:52 PM
Rocket surgery, glad to be of help.
The final t-shank has arrived, I just need to make a video on it. I hope to have that ready in the next few days.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #336 on: May 25, 2020, 09:26:55 PM
 :tu: :tu: :tu:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #337 on: May 26, 2020, 12:48:39 AM
So this is my second post to the forum. Based in the UK and used to carry a surge because I had a reasonable need for it. About 2 years ago medical stuff shook my world, and that paired with the medication given to help (opiates) means I can no longer work, drive, and walk slow as heck using a stick. Not only that, but the nock on effect is I can no longer carry my surge ( :cry: )
I have been looking high and low for a heavy duty (edit- by heavy duty I mean full size rather than keychain) multitool with the parts I actually use on there. Have worked out a trade with a buddy for his P2 - given it only has one blade on, once the T-shank adapter is out and my PayPal is empty, then I will finally get back to having a decent tool on my side.
I guess what I'm saying is a sincere thankyou, and to let you know that although I'm sure to some it's just a handy add-on to a tool they rarely use, but to others (atleast me) it can mean the world, and give the ability to have a bit of their own personal normality back.  :cheers:

Welcome to :MTO: and I hope that the mod is able to bring some normality back to you :salute: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #338 on: May 26, 2020, 12:49:12 AM
Can’t wait to see the final version of the T-Shank-inator!

Hope everyone is safe and healthy...

:iagree: with both of those statements :cheers: :tu:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #339 on: May 31, 2020, 01:45:28 AM

The T-Shank holder is done!
The produce page is live (store link in my signature)

Coming up: A collaboration with fellow Multitool.org member Metropolicity
I shared my Leatherman FREE CAD T-Shank CAD data with him in exchange for his CAD file for his Leatherman Charge Scalpel holder
So now I can get cracking on a making one for the FREE series.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #340 on: May 31, 2020, 10:35:05 AM
 :ahhh :ahhh :woohoo: :woohoo: :gimme:

The last emoji stands for "order placed" :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:46:11 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Reply #341 on: May 31, 2020, 07:51:25 PM
Is there any jiggery-pokery I can do to get this replacing the main blade on a P2? I have been waiting for this with baited breath!  :woohoo:
When I inevitably pass away, please ask my partner not to sell my EDC stuff for what I told her I paid.

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #342 on: May 31, 2020, 08:00:46 PM
When will it stop!! First it was a sheath, then thumb studs, then 4mm bit holder, then flat bit holder. Now the T-shank holder. This P4 is turning into a money pit. Can't complain, everything is making this a very nice tool. It's turning into my mini-Surge. Keep up the good work.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #343 on: May 31, 2020, 08:32:48 PM
Is there any jiggery-pokery I can do to get this replacing the main blade on a P2? I have been waiting for this with baited breath!  :woohoo:

On the P2: Yes, the main version can replace the main blade on the P2, you have to move the implements around a bit. Or it can re[place the scissors if you get the mirrored version.
I may actually put my wood blade back in and then replace my serrated blade, I use it very rarely.

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #344 on: May 31, 2020, 08:34:54 PM
So, I was sitting here looking at my P4, and contemplating the modes I've done and will do. Trying to think of what would make it the perfect tool for me. The only thing that I came up with is to replace the scissors with decent wire strippers. Thoughts?

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #345 on: May 31, 2020, 08:59:47 PM
So, I was sitting here looking at my P4, and contemplating the modes I've done and will do. Trying to think of what would make it the perfect tool for me. The only thing that I came up with is to replace the scissors with decent wire strippers. Thoughts?

I wish, as you will have to remove my original Squirt with Wire Strippers from my cold dead hands.
I don't think the 3D printed material will ever be able to hold an edge like that, it would have to be milled sheet metal.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #346 on: June 01, 2020, 03:16:42 AM
Looks so great :o :ahhh :like:

Awesome that you have a collab going with Metro as well :salute: :like:

Reply #347 on: June 01, 2020, 07:37:15 AM
Ordered! I have both the T-shank and the flat bit exchanger on their way. Really hoping they will work in conjunction with one another  ???  It only dawned on me now that the T-shank requires a little messing with other tools and spacers to get it to fit right, and the bit exchanger is a straight swap for the two fatter tools so less flexibility on what can actually be moved. I fear I was too excited when ordering to think logically  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 09:00:23 AM by Rocket surgery »

Reply #348 on: June 03, 2020, 08:54:21 AM
I should receive my bronze Rev 2 model in the mail in the next few days. I will post images for those interested in that finish.  If I didn't already mention it, the gold plating flakes off in areas of contact.

Just dropping this here for anyone interested: A person on Reddit asked if they could re-arrange the stack up to ditch the Philips, ruler and can opener. But keep the package opener. Yes it is possible, and doesn't require any extra parts. Just double stack on of the existing washers. You can alternatively keep the Philips instead.

And here is a dimension ed image showing the stack up for anyone who wants to swap stuff around. As long as your left/right stacks add up to 0.52 inches you can do whatever you want.

Zapwizzard - on the off chance (given how much work and how many measurements you have done on the P4) might you have a similar dimensional layout for a free P2? I think it's going to be a huge help in swapping tools about to get both a T-shank AND the bit adapter on a P2.
Main thing I'm trying to work out with the P2 is the difference in thickness of the two sides of the handle - the P4 has the same interior tools however the side with 4 thinner tools is 0.03 thicker due to washers. That slack is taken up by the saw being 0.07 rather than the 0.10 used for the blades and scissors. How does the P2 account for the different thicknesses of the tool stacks? Are there extra spacers/washers, are the washers removed, is the frame its self stamped to be 0.03 thinner on one side?

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #349 on: June 03, 2020, 03:16:31 PM

Zapwizzard - on the off chance (given how much work and how many measurements you have done on the P4) might you have a similar dimensional layout for a free P2

Here is the P2 stackup. Everything has been verified using calipers:
The P2 doesn't have any washers between the thin implements. It only has thicker washers on each end of the stack to account for the recesses in each scale.

Reply #350 on: June 03, 2020, 06:23:42 PM

Here is the P2 stackup. Everything has been verified using calipers:
The P2 doesn't have any washers between the thin implements. It only has thicker washers on each end of the stack to account for the recesses in each scale.

Amazing, thanks!
So looking at the layout, if it doesn't have washers to take out giving the extra 0.01 of room needed when i remove the file, is there a way to fit the T-shank? Or is there enough wiggle room in the design that 0.01 difference is negligible, and won't really change anything
This is all working on the assumption that my memory is correct and it's 0.18, that could well be a measurement from a previous iteration!
Thankyou again, and thanks to everyone for all the warm welcome messages!  :cheers:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #351 on: June 03, 2020, 06:39:45 PM

Ya 0.01 isn't enough to worry about. If you find is loose, then you may need a very thin washer. (McMaster should have either a thin washer or precision shim that fits the bill.
If your replacing the scissors, then you remove the can opener or other thin implement.

If you want to replace the knife instead, you simply swap all the thin tools to the same side as the t-shank holder, and the philips/flathead (or bit adapter) to the side with the scissors.

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #352 on: June 04, 2020, 01:26:45 AM
Mr. ZapWizard, I ordered the T-Shank holder the other day. I do have a question. I also ordered the screws you listed from McMaster-Carr. How far do they stick up from the handle, compared to your thumb stud. I'm currently using a sheath from RAE Gear. It has a lip that my thumb studs fit under, I'm just wondering if I'm going to have an issue with the screws in the T-Shank holder. I did see that McMaster-Carr has lower profile screws. Just trying to decide if I should order those. I've included a picture of how the thumb studs fit in the sheath.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #353 on: June 04, 2020, 01:50:33 AM
The T-shank holder sits up as high as my thumb tabs do, the screws are about the same height (0.2mm shorter). You can always file/grind the surface down flatter.

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #354 on: June 04, 2020, 01:53:09 AM
The T-shank holder sits up as high as my thumb tabs do, the screws are about the same height (0.2mm shorter). You can always file/grind the surface down flatter.

Thanks for the info!

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #355 on: June 17, 2020, 02:59:27 AM
I got my T-Shank holder today and installed. Very nice. I shortened my file and will do the saw tomorrow. It also fits in my RAE Gear sheathe just fine!
Thanks for all the effort you put into making my P4 a mini Surge!

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #356 on: June 17, 2020, 03:10:18 AM
I got my T-Shank holder today and installed. Very nice.

Sweet, glad it works for you.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #357 on: June 17, 2020, 04:11:16 AM
  :ahhh
Too many cool mods!!!
Awesome work !

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #358 on: June 17, 2020, 04:21:50 AM
My P4 with some of the mods I've done..... Besides the ZapWizars's great products, I also sharpened the awl to make it proper one.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #359 on: June 17, 2020, 07:16:14 AM
My P4 with some of the mods I've done..... Besides the ZapWizars's great products, I also sharpened the awl to make it proper one.

:tu: :tu: :tu: :drool:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69