Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods

ZapWizard · 511 · 119825

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods
Reply #90 on: June 14, 2019, 04:51:09 PM
This is awesone work Zap  :like: :like:

Could I perhaps ask you to consider adding the LM 2D bit slot all the same? Or maybe an alternate model that has this instead of the transversal 4mm hex? I for one have the LM bits, and they make for a reasonably compact carry in the bit card. I'm sure I'm not the only potential buyer that could benefit.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #91 on: June 14, 2019, 05:08:46 PM
 :iagree: about the bits :cheers: also that is some great results in the testing as well :salute: :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #92 on: June 14, 2019, 06:06:40 PM
Excellent testing looks like it can handle some torque  :like: :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #93 on: June 14, 2019, 07:56:48 PM
Could I perhaps ask you to consider adding the LM 2D bit slot all the same? Or maybe an alternate model that has this instead of the transversal 4mm hex?

It would need to be an alternate model. I tried a few things today in CAD, but it works out to be too thin in critical places if I try to mix both together. I also realized I don't need a mixed horizontal opening, as the 1/4" wrench works well on the flat bits.

I did update the magnet stop to be smaller, this is live on the shop now. I have another batch of things to order, so I will get a new build, this time in a different finish. (The 24K gold plating is pretty, but it flakes off too easy for a tool)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: June 14, 2019, 10:07:32 PM
It would need to be an alternate model. I tried a few things today in CAD, but it works out to be too thin in critical places if I try to mix both together. I also realized I don't need a mixed horizontal opening, as the 1/4" wrench works well on the flat bits.

I did update the magnet stop to be smaller, this is live on the shop now. I have another batch of things to order, so I will get a new build, this time in a different finish. (The 24K gold plating is pretty, but it flakes off too easy for a tool)

If that's the case, then so much the better. Looking forward to v1.0  :drool: :like:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: June 15, 2019, 12:57:40 AM
Truly incredible work. For this item alone I am considering buying the P4. Personally I would replace the mediocre tools rather than the awesome flat driver and Philips. Other than that though I would LOVE the heck out of that thing. I use 4mm bits all the time.

Cheers,
H.G.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #96 on: June 20, 2019, 06:23:45 PM
I should receive my bronze Rev 2 model in the mail in the next few days. I will post images for those interested in that finish.  If I didn't already mention it, the gold plating flakes off in areas of contact.

Just dropping this here for anyone interested: A person on Reddit asked if they could re-arrange the stack up to ditch the Philips, ruler and can opener. But keep the package opener. Yes it is possible, and doesn't require any extra parts. Just double stack on of the existing washers. You can alternatively keep the Philips instead.

And here is a dimension ed image showing the stack up for anyone who wants to swap stuff around. As long as your left/right stacks add up to 0.52 inches you can do whatever you want.

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: June 21, 2019, 12:23:02 AM
I should receive my bronze Rev 2 model in the mail in the next few days. I will post images for those interested in that finish.  If I didn't already mention it, the gold plating flakes off in areas of contact.

(Image removed from quote.)

Just dropping this here for anyone interested: A person on Reddit asked if they could re-arrange the stack up to ditch the Philips, ruler and can opener. But keep the package opener. Yes it is possible, and doesn't require any extra parts. Just double stack on of the existing washers. You can alternatively keep the Philips instead.

(Image removed from quote.)

And here is a dimension ed image showing the stack up for anyone who wants to swap stuff around. As long as your left/right stacks add up to 0.52 inches you can do whatever you want.

Man, I wish you were in Philly. So many ideas to explore with your skill set, amazing job. This looks awesome! I also think that tool arrangement makes a ton of sense. It would be a shame to lose an awl, file, or the prybar/box cutter.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #98 on: June 21, 2019, 02:02:29 AM
Amazing job ZW!  :like:

Hey LM, see what you can do with the p series  :pok: That’s what we want, darn it  :twak:

Now even I consider buying a P4...once the price drops  :D

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #99 on: June 25, 2019, 05:58:01 AM

The bronze steel part arrived. This is Rev 2 (And the version anyone who ordered is getting). This one requires less reaming out, and no hammering like you see in the video. The magnets also has a closer to the bit for a better hold on the bit.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #100 on: June 25, 2019, 11:56:24 AM
Looks excellent :like: Great work Zap :cheers: :tu:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #101 on: June 25, 2019, 04:47:00 PM
Just an FYI for folks who purchased the bit holder:
The magnets are now looser inside, so they can fall back towards the hinge, and stick there. Making the bit holding power weaker.
I had to take mine apart and apply some super-glue and push the magnets back to their position behind the bit.

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: June 26, 2019, 08:05:47 PM
Just an FYI for folks who purchased the bit holder:
The magnets are now looser inside, so they can fall back towards the hinge, and stick there. Making the bit holding power weaker.
I had to take mine apart and apply some super-glue and push the magnets back to their position behind the bit.
Doesn't seem like major issue but good info.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: June 27, 2019, 12:28:01 PM
Doesn't seem like major issue but good info.

:iagree: :salute:

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #104 on: June 29, 2019, 07:07:15 PM
Got my thumb tabs and holster. Very nice. I got the small holster and it works good, but it's pretty snug on my belt. I was paying more attention to the belt width more than the thickness. Very usable, but might buy another one with a clip. I'll probably get an Extra large and fix a top mount clip. I'll use my current one with one of my thinner gun belts. Also, the thumb tabs work very well. The straight blade has always been a little difficult to deploy, but now it's a breeze. Very well done!!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:20:38 PM by Slygrin »

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: June 29, 2019, 07:11:31 PM
Love it, any chance of a horizontal holster version? I can't stand how the perpendicular holsters dig in when I sit down. This is one of the biggest reasons I don't holster carry a MT.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #106 on: June 29, 2019, 08:16:41 PM
Got my thumb taps and holster. Very nice. I got the small holster and it works good, but it's pretty snug on my belt.

Hey! That looks great. Belt sizes are a very tricky things. I had to just settle on a few military/government standards and hope from there.

Love it, any chance of a horizontal holster version?

So this has been requested a few times on both the FREE and other holsters. So far I have just told people to purchase the TekLok version which allows for 45 degree and horizontal carry. (But with the added bulk of the TekLok clip).

It's not as straightforward as just hanging like normal. It is much harder to design a 90 degree carry unless it is very specific to your belt size. Making to too wide can make it so the tool tugs on your sideways, as the center of gravity isn't below your belt.
I could try designing a lower profile 90 degree carry. Something that doesn't hang down three inches, but perhaps down enough to keep the center of gravity below the middle of the belt.
And finally the other thing I can think of is that the tool is straight, you belt would have a small amount of curve. So any 90 degree carry would have to try to allow for that.

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #107 on: June 29, 2019, 08:28:29 PM
Added bonus with the thumb tabs. I can easily deploy the straight blade and saw with my Left hand.

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: June 30, 2019, 08:03:42 PM
Hey! That looks great. Belt sizes are a very tricky things. I had to just settle on a few military/government standards and hope from there.

So this has been requested a few times on both the FREE and other holsters. So far I have just told people to purchase the TekLok version which allows for 45 degree and horizontal carry. (But with the added bulk of the TekLok clip).

It's not as straightforward as just hanging like normal. It is much harder to design a 90 degree carry unless it is very specific to your belt size. Making to too wide can make it so the tool tugs on your sideways, as the center of gravity isn't below your belt.
I could try designing a lower profile 90 degree carry. Something that doesn't hang down three inches, but perhaps down enough to keep the center of gravity below the middle of the belt.
And finally the other thing I can think of is that the tool is straight, you belt would have a small amount of curve. So any 90 degree carry would have to try to allow for that.

Awl good points. I'd say probably not worth time spent for a niche market. Been using the Readyman belt Sleave and am a little spoiled from how flush MTs sit in it.

Cheers,
HG

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #109 on: June 30, 2019, 11:57:17 PM
My bit holder has been shipped! I have some 4mm bits coming too. I'm just wondering if anyone has any good ideas for carrying the bits? I have a small zipper case that I was planning on using, but curious what other options folks are using.

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: July 01, 2019, 03:23:26 AM
My bit holder has been shipped! I have some 4mm bits coming too. I'm just wondering if anyone has any good ideas for carrying the bits? I have a small zipper case that I was planning on using, but curious what other options folks are using.

Carry mine in a mini Altoids tin

au Offline aussieman

Reply #111 on: July 01, 2019, 11:50:34 AM
My P4 and P2 have finally arrived, deciding on which...

Thanks for the side view, I was wondering if I were to trim down the holster like this would it still work fine? (Assuming i always put the tool in locks downwards)

Secondly if I get the thumb tabs does it still fit in the holster blades inwards? (blades facing my body)

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #112 on: July 01, 2019, 04:54:48 PM
My P4 and P2 have finally arrived, deciding on which...

Thanks for the side view, I was wondering if I were to trim down the holster like this would it still work fine? (Assuming i always put the tool in locks downwards)

Secondly if I get the thumb tabs does it still fit in the holster blades inwards? (blades facing my body)

Yes, the bottom locks would work fine with that portion removed. See the design above. Since this is for the metal clip, I also added a small ramp to the back that guides the belt into the clip opening.
If you like the design, I can upload it for ordering and provide you a special link to this model.

Yes, the thumb-tabs work facing inwards on the FREE P4 holster, they were designed to fit together.

au Offline aussieman

Reply #113 on: July 01, 2019, 05:31:43 PM
Ok I have tried to remain calm. But having a talented designer do customer specific mods is like being pampered in heaven.

Let’s do this. I’m ordering. 

The very last thing I would ask is a side extension loop to clip a flashlight to. Is that asking too much?

I’m already ecstatic with the last post. You sir are a legend.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #114 on: July 01, 2019, 05:54:17 PM
Ok I have tried to remain calm. But having a talented designer do customer specific mods is like being pampered in heaven.

Let’s do this. I’m ordering. 

The very last thing I would ask is a side extension loop to clip a flashlight to. Is that asking too much?

I’m already ecstatic with the last post. You sir are a legend.

To hold any flashlight well, I need measurements of the flashlight. A generic loop won't do.
I usually say no to added flashlight addons. The only one I have said yes to was for a customer who provided me very exacting measurements. (He hasn't said how well it worked yet)

I also tried this for my own flashlight, and found I just liked it separately hung next to my multi-tool on its own loop.
When the two are combined I didn't like how the light offset the center of gravity. I even had a version at one point that had my flashlight on one side, and a Squirt P4 (wire strippers) on the other. It turned out to be very bulky.

au Offline aussieman

Reply #115 on: July 01, 2019, 06:03:48 PM
I defer to your expertise.

Let’s just order their amazing cut down version above. In black. Send me the link.

Bedtime in Oz,,;
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:09:34 PM by aussieman »

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #116 on: July 01, 2019, 06:14:49 PM
Let’s just order their amazing cut down version above. In black. Send me the link.

Here is the purchase page. I made it available to anyone who wants it.
(I believe store linking is allowed during July)

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #117 on: July 02, 2019, 03:09:26 AM
Any chance you will be designing thumb tabs for the T2/T4?  :gimme:

(Sorry if this was asked before.)

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #118 on: July 02, 2019, 03:30:23 AM
Any chance you will be designing thumb tabs for the T2/T4?  :gimme:

Someone on Shapeways asked this morning. Here is what I told him:
At $60 the T4 is too expensive to purchase just to validate a design.
If you have access to some calipers, and can measure the opening in the blade, as well as the blade thickness, then I can alter my FREE P5 Thumb tab design to fit.
If the dimensions of the opening work out to: 17.2mm x 3.23mm then the existing Free P4 thumb tabs would fit.
The tab fits a blades 0.10" (2.54mm) thick (Main and Serrated). or 0.07" (1.8mm) thick (Saw)

He was going to measure his, but if you have calipers can can provide the info all the better.

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: July 02, 2019, 04:59:50 AM
Wow, plz don't leave. Your work it just too awesome. I feel like the chances are good of the same cutout shape. I'll ask in the T4 thread.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%