Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I need to start considering bag carry again

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
I need to start considering bag carry again
on: May 09, 2019, 05:02:55 AM
Now I've reached the age that I need to start carrying reading glasses, as well as wearing distance ones (I've been advised against varifocals for health reasons), I need more than just trouser/shirt pockets again. I've been looking at generic small cross body bags, and can't settle on the size I want.  :think:

The satchel and briefcase types look rather bulky, but the slimmer line ones that you might wear under an open shirt, look a little tight on space  :-\ So I'm not entirely sure where to pitch it. Most of the time, I'd only be carrying phone (which is quite bulky actually), a pocket sized notepad and pen, hard glasses case, and while I've got a bag, I might as well chuck whatever pliers based tool I'm carrying in there too. Keys, wallet and pocket knife probably wouldn't be going in.

Waterproof would be better (it is for use in Britain  ;) ), and some organisation to keep the phone separate from other stuff clattering against it, would be nice Also, no tacticool, molle ridden, velcro covered, 1 million denier thing that weighs four times more than it needs to   :P

Any suggestions?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: I need to start considering bag carry again
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 05:54:39 AM
I hear you, even though wearing clothing with multi pockets, I can’t see walking around with every freaking pocket jammed packed, but don’t want to walk around with a huge backpack!

I carry a small bag but it’s military, there’s all sorts of bags and ways to carry, whether a double strap, a cross body, or just a shoulder,
There's two company’s that make a very unique means of carry that I’ve had my eye on but a little pricy, perfect for a bunch of little things, plus they could easily go under a coat to keep dry, their called a runnur or crosspaq, here’s a couple pics, and a few others
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:03:50 AM
Of course you could always go with the fanny pack, lol..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 06:16:59 AM
I hear you, even though wearing clothing with multi pockets, I can’t see walking around with every freaking pocket jammed packed, but don’t want to walk around with a huge backpack!

I carry a small bag but it’s military, there’s all sorts of bags and ways to carry, whether a double strap, a cross body, or just a shoulder,
There's two company’s that make a very unique means of carry that I’ve had my eye on but a little pricy, perfect for a bunch of little things, plus they could easily go under a coat to keep dry, their called a runnur or crosspaq, here’s a couple pics, and a few others
JR

Perfect examples of not enough space and too bulky :D I reckon I probably want something not much bigger than the front pocket of that third pic, with a weather flap rather than top zip.

Of course you could always go with the fanny pack, lol..
JR

Err... no!  :rofl:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:09:43 AM
So something like this?
JR

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 07:15:11 AM
I was just going to suggest that.
I have one like that in leather.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:36 AM
Maybe something like this?  Looks small and light, probably good for the summer.

Exfactory.jpg
* Exfactory.jpg (Filesize: 101.35 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 01:07:19 PM
So something like this?
JR

Yup, that's the kind of thing, I'm thinking of  :tu:

I was just going to suggest that.
I have one like that in leather.

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on that, Nick  :cheers: Is it a known brand, or just a generic offering, and how's it been in use?

Maybe something like this?  Looks small and light, probably good for the summer.

To be honest, Chi, half as wide would probably be plenty big enough. With a bigger bag, the temptation is to just carry more crap  :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 01:11:30 PM
Yup, that's the kind of thing, I'm thinking of  :tu:

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on that, Nick  :cheers: Is it a known brand, or just a generic offering, and how's it been in use?

To be honest, Chi, half as wide would probably be plenty big enough. With a bigger bag, the temptation is to just carry more crap  :D

I guess I'm still in that hoarder state of mind...I used to buy bags for 'different' occasion, but after a while, with all the stuff I want to carry...I just always roll with the largest bag I could carry, and trying to not look like a backpacker.  :facepalm: :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 01:40:11 PM

I guess I'm still in that hoarder state of mind...I used to buy bags for 'different' occasion, but after a while, with all the stuff I want to carry...I just always roll with the largest bag I could carry, and trying to not look like a backpacker.  :facepalm: :D

I've no shortage of larger bags either :D I think I've got rucksacks varying from 15L to 85L, laptop bags, messenger style overnighter, assorted camera bags .... and no doubt when I've filled this gap, there'll be something else I need before too long   :whistle:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 04:49:41 PM
I entered small cross body bag into E-bay and there are so many.  Some are so small and unobtrusive I don't think you could get more than your phone, a glasses case and a multitool in there if you wanted to. Good luck on your search.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Women-Vintage-Genuine-Leather-Shoulder-Cross-Body-Bag-Fanny-Belt-Waist-Purse/262163038875?hash=item3d0a22829b:g:7BsAAOSwZVlXqtxp

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 05:17:20 PM
So, my bag is made by Arrigo.

Indian handmade from buffalo leather.

This makes it strong, nice and cheap considered it's genuine leather (cow leather costs way more).

The bag is perfectly sized to take alot of stuff in a low profile, or take a little stuff without extra bulk because of 15 pockets on all sides.

I usualy carry it in the summer when I try to keep my shorts light.

My bag has some hidden compartiments on the back and sides where I usualy stuff things I rarely need or won't need at all unless things went wrong.

The lining is made from a nice, soft cloth and stitched up nice.

There's a magnet closure on the main flap, under which is the zippered main compartiment.
This means you can choose easy accesibility or extra security.

Pictures say more than a thousand words so I'll try to get those up within the next 30min or so.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 05:43:56 PM
So, the bag in it's closed form:
(91mm Compact for size ref)

The small zippered pouch on the front flap:

I usualy store a neck gaiter and some allergy pills in there. Easy access, no need to open the entire bag but no valueables either.

The hidden side compartiment:

It's pretty spacious but it 's an area between the back itself and the back pocket, so storing anything bulky with alot of corners in there drasticaly reduces comfort.
I keep an emergency blanket in there which also serves as extra padding when carried. Sometimes the neck gaiter goes in there too.

Back compartiment:

It stretches along the entire back and is quite narrow. It's usualy empty for me but when used, should be used like the hidden compartiment.

Inside, under the main flap, there are 2 storage areas divided by a double lining with a zipper. Putting stuff in the double lining reduces the storage area left in the other pockets, but comes in handy when you're worried about things scratching eachother.

The storage area above the double lining, towards the back is one large area, and contains a small zippered pocket. It's where I usualy store my spare batteries when needed.
This large area is perfect for a smartphone and something else, like: a notebook, wallet, gaiter, FAK, ...

The other large compartiment:

This one contains a small open pocket which fits my Secrid wallet perfectly. When not in use, it's not in the way and the storage area can be used completely.

When my wallet is in there, it eaqualy divides the area into 2 halves.
1 half contains my sunglasses in a half-solid container, while the other half contains a Skinth L shield fully loaded and a small flashlight next to it.

I'll be filling the bag again soon. Might even do so tomorrow for the heck of it, so if you want to see it filled, just say so :D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 05:47:17 PM
Oh and to further answer your question.

I bought this one a year after my first leather bag because I felt as if the first one was too large.

This was 2-3 years ago so the fact it's still my go-to bag without any doubts means alot :D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 05:53:14 PM
Here's a link for you:

https://www.arrigo.nl/en/8310.html

I have no affliaton with the seller at all and I don't know if they ship internationally. I bought mine from their fair booth on vacation.
At the time they said my bag was the last one in it's colour since the dy process was too expensive to offer it at the same price as other colour variations. So the dark cognac colour might not be exactly the same on the ones they have in stock now.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 08:39:14 PM
Thanks for all that, Nick. That looks ideal  :tu: in the meantime, I have found something else that looks promising too....

https://www.viscontibags.co.uk/all-bags/167-roca.html

A little cheaper, but looks well made and durable. I'll spend a bit of time comparing the two  :salute:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:34:02 PM by AimlessWanderer »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 10:52:50 PM
Link invalid.
But a google search shows the bag.
Looks quite nice indeed.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 11:41:45 PM
Fixed the link, sorry about that  :oops:

Cheers, Nick. I reckon this might be worth a punt when my money (eventually) comes through. I think this should be up to all the knocks, bangs, scrapes and scratches that a bag will get from me. I reckon the more beat up it gets, the better it will look too. Unlike me  :rofl:

The measurements do seem right for what little I need to carry, and I shouldn't have to worry about lugging round a jacket in the warmer months, just for the additional pocket space, as I have done in the past.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 11:49:43 PM
Cheers, Nick. I reckon this might be worth a punt when my money (eventually) comes through.

Ahh, so it's to carry all your money in.  :pok:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 12:07:28 AM
Ahh, so it's to carry all your money in.  :pok:

I wouldn't need anything that big for the few pence I have  :D

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 09:24:42 PM
I've just got a under armour 'gadgetbag' small cross body kind. Might not be your cup of tea though. I'll get pics soon.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 12:23:53 AM
I've just got a under armour 'gadgetbag' small cross body kind. Might not be your cup of tea though. I'll get pics soon.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I look forward to it  :tu:

us Offline superpaco

• Bigly bragadocious
Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 12:50:00 AM
Have you looked at the Mystery Ranch Big Bop? There is a couple more in similar sizes. But maybe they might be too small?
Life is hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 01:23:26 AM
Have you looked at the Mystery Ranch Big Bop? There is a couple more in similar sizes. But maybe they might be too small?

Never heard of them before, but just done a search to have a look at them. Not really my thing to be honest. Height and width aren't too bad, but quite bulky front to back at 5.5". Exposed top zip instead of weather flap too, and then there's the velcro and styling. Anything that's available in a camo pattern, is not something I'm liable to be a fan of. Thanks for the suggestion though  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 08:58:57 AM

I quite like the style, and the option for colors are abundant.  Cool! :D

I have seen sling/messenger bags at my usual army surplus store so I looked them up and some are made by Rothco:

https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-molle-tactical-tech-bag
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-canvas-travel-portfolio-bag-leather-accent
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-vintage-canvas-military-tech-bag
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-molle-compatible-excursion-organizer
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-swiss-military-canvas-shoulder-bag
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-canvas-ammo-shoulder-bag-w-military-patches (you could take the patches off?)

These are just some of them... I tried to avoid the camo-only ones.  ;)
Do any of those look suitable?

If you like grey men idea, I think the Travel portfolio and vintage canvas both look nice . :tu:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 08:25:24 PM
Might look into something like this...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253215712396

Maxpedition clone, but they're decent bags.  Been using one for a couple years now.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 01:54:50 AM
I have seen sling/messenger bags at my usual army surplus store so I looked them up and some are made by Rothco:

https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-molle-tactical-tech-bag
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-canvas-travel-portfolio-bag-leather-accent
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-vintage-canvas-military-tech-bag
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-molle-compatible-excursion-organizer
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-swiss-military-canvas-shoulder-bag
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-canvas-ammo-shoulder-bag-w-military-patches (you could take the patches off?)

These are just some of them... I tried to avoid the camo-only ones.  ;)
Do any of those look suitable?

The travel one looks interesting.  :tu: the others aren't "civilian" enough for my liking.

Might look into something like this...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253215712396

Maxpedition clone, but they're decent bags.  Been using one for a couple years now.

I'm afraid that's a perfect example of what I wish to avoid.  :-\ I don't do tacticool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD