Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help needed LM Hybred ???

Butch · 31 · 1521

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Help needed LM Hybred ???
on: May 10, 2019, 07:11:31 PM
Looking for something simular to the old leatherman hybred that can be had for a price reasonable enough to be a user. Got any suggestions?
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Help needed LM Hybred ???
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:35:30 PM
Are tools needed... cause IMO ratcheting pruners is where it's at.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 12:15:13 AM
Are tools needed... cause IMO ratcheting pruners is where it's at.
I have a hybred but I sprung them a little out of shape years ago. They still work but I would like to retire that tool but I do not want to give up the convenience that it provides by having all in one package. So I'm looking for something simular. The $500.00 that a leatherman is going for now seems a little steep for an everyday garden tool.
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 01:04:49 AM
Perhaps Leatherman would fix them up for you if marked "Sentimental"?

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 01:11:38 AM
Perhaps Leatherman would fix them up for you if marked "Sentimental"?

Already talked to them, they will only replace them with a currently available multitool .........thanks but no.
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 03:07:38 AM
Butch,

I wish LM still made the Hybrid. There really isn't anything even close to comparable to it. :facepalm:

The Bear and Sons Bear Jaws 157 shears are pretty nice, but the cutters aren't really for pruning, though a lot of people use them that way. Just something to look into. They are fairly inexpensive, USA made(right here in Alabama) and have a decent warranty.
And....Douglas will be envious you got a Bear Jaws tool before he did. :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 05:12:49 AM
Butch,

I wish LM still made the Hybrid. There really isn't anything even close to comparable to it. :facepalm:

The Bear and Sons Bear Jaws 157 shears are pretty nice, but the cutters aren't really for pruning, though a lot of people use them that way. Just something to look into. They are fairly inexpensive, USA made(right here in Alabama) and have a decent warranty.
And....Douglas will be envious you got a Bear Jaws tool before he did. :D

Thanks GBLM I am hoping to find something in a bypass type but those shears might work. I do regret not buying 3 or 4 hybrids when they were still in production.
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 05:15:38 AM
 :cheers:
I do wish Bear would produce a pruner jaw 157. There's got to be a market niche to fill seeing the kind of money LM Hybrids are fetching. :dunno:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 05:30:18 AM
I do wish Bear would produce a pruner jaw 157. There's got to be a market niche to fill seeing the kind of money LM Hybrids are fetching. :dunno:

I guess they just didn't sell well for Leatherman but it is a heck of a good tool & I really miss it in their lineup.
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 07:56:57 AM
I would think there is a market. Used Hybrids fetch $100+, while NIB examples go $200+. Guess the Hybrid didn't catch on back in the day. I'd like to see a LM Free P5 Pruner. :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 11:40:56 AM
Did the Genus have replaceable Fiskars blades?  :think:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 03:35:38 PM
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 04:22:50 PM by Butch »
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 08:51:40 PM
Hey GLBM, think we could talk the boss into hitting up his buddies at SOG for something like the Hybrid? .............. :dunno: :cheers:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 09:42:53 PM

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 11:08:25 PM
Hey GLBM, think we could talk the boss into hitting up his buddies at SOG for something like the Hybrid? .............. :dunno: :cheers:
That's be awesome. :like:
But, that said, SOG would probably try and make a new tool out of it and make it mediocre like some of their newer models.
 :facepalm:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 03:41:45 AM
That's be awesome. :like:
But, that said, SOG would probably try and make a new tool out of it and make it mediocre like some of their newer models.
 :facepalm:

Mediocre would beat the smurf out of what I've seen available lately.
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 04:22:16 AM
Mediocre would beat the smurf out of what I've seen available lately.
Truth..truth...
Have you watched eBay for a used Leatherman Vista? Same cutters as Hybrid, but much cheaper.
I got my Vista for $150. Still expensive, but well under Hybrid territory. :ahhh

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 04:37:01 AM
Have you watched eBay for a used Leatherman Vista? Same cutters as Hybrid, but much cheaper.
Do you mean to transplant the cutters onto a Hybrid? The rest of the Vista implements aren't very useful for gardening if that is the requirement.

I often think about how I would design a Hybrid / Genus type gardening tool... :think: ... one thing I keep thinking is if I am wandering around with a set of pruners I would also be carrying a folding saw so the little saw would be useless.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 05:29:41 AM
 :tu: Since he has the Hybrid tool, he would just need to transplant the cutting head.  Or he could put the hybrid tools into the Vista.  :)

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 04:37:31 PM
Good thought, both of ya. :tu:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 12:50:09 AM
Anybody know anything about this company or this tool.

https://kikkerland.com/products/pocket-pruner-multi-tool
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 08:26:55 AM
Anybody know anything about this company or this tool.

https://kikkerland.com/products/pocket-pruner-multi-tool
Kikkerland are the ones that make the CAKs that look like animals. That tool doesn't have very good reviews on Amazon, but it is cheap enough to try out and can be sent back if you buy on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-CD516-Pocket-Pruner-Multi/dp/B076CRPNY6/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=kikkerland+pruners&qid=1557728800&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull#customerReviews

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 05:19:36 PM
Kikkerland are the ones that make the CAKs that look like animals. That tool doesn't have very good reviews on Amazon, but it is cheap enough to try out and can be sent back if you buy on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-CD516-Pocket-Pruner-Multi/dp/B076CRPNY6/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=kikkerland+pruners&qid=1557728800&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull#customerReviews

Ok, the search goes on .............& on............... & on.................(sigh) :shrug:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 05:40:28 PM
Ok, the search goes on .............& on............... & on.................(sigh) :shrug:
Oh heckydern.

Butch,

If you don't mind me asking, could you post some pics of the issue your LM Hybrid has?
There is a small, tiny, and miniscule chance I may have a work around for certain issues.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 07:00:07 PM
Oh heckydern.

Butch,

If you don't mind me asking, could you post some pics of the issue your LM Hybrid has?
There is a small, tiny, and miniscule chance I may have a work around for certain issues.

Not sure I can get a pic but the curved side is slightly bent out away fron the cutter blade so that there is a gap, not allowing for a clean cut. I have tried to bend it back but I'm afraid of getting too much pressure & making an even bigger mess. I can at least use them now, & with nothing to use as backup in case I mess up .........well you get the idea.
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 08:11:27 PM
I bet you already did it, but have you tightened the pruners shears pivot bolt?

I understand the not having backups.  :facepalm:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 10:14:22 PM
I bet you already did it, but have you tightened the pruners shears pivot bolt?

I understand the not having backups.  :facepalm:

Yep tried that.
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 13, 2019, 10:15:45 PM
Will keep an eye out for something suitable, Butch! :)

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 10:45:49 PM
Will keep an eye out for something suitable, Butch! :)

Thank you :tu:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 10:46:21 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%