Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your SAK pet peeves?

us Offline HolyDeuce

Re: What are your SAK pet peeves?
Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 10:30:46 PM
I just wish I could buy any color scales I wanted directly from Vic...  :dunno:
Once you go SAK, you'll never go back.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 10:41:36 PM
I agree. They could easily open a direct sales channel for spares in the major markets, but I expect they will not support this idea because the scales are technically not user replaceable. What they could do is allow their approved resellers to sell scales to the public and to let them offer a replacement scale service.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 01:11:33 AM
Alox scales that accommodate a toothpick. 

And maybe carbon fiber spectacle frames that have miniature SAK-like multitools magnetically mounted on the temples.  Seems like that would sell.  ;-)

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 04:59:54 AM
Fix the tweezer hole on classics so it stays in there without me having to put tape on it

Put brighter LED's in models that have them

Replace hook with package opener/strap cutter, I have never used the hook

Make back scale tools less of a nailbreaker, maybe increase height by a smidge

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

• Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 05:54:47 AM
Camo scales with plus option.  Models like the Craftsman brought back that show a obvious demand based on auction site sales I've seen.  It seems like the more useful they are to me without nonsense I won't use, they more apt they are to be limited run or collectibles that are harder to find.  I don't understand that.  That's the point they are missing larger volume sales. 

One comment I read was about letting people customize their knives.  They are never going to do this.  It will take away market value of anything they might produce in limited runs that they know people want.  (Deluxe Angler, Master Fisherman, etc..you know... combinations that are useful, well-rounded and make sense for the purpose intended)  It's aggravating, but I'm sure that's why it won't happen and it would also make the collectors (purists) that is a given market for them with new models throw up their hands and say "I'm out" at that point.  This is also the reason they aren't going to let you pick the scales as many of the knvies hold their value in the scales, not the tool combination. "I'd like a Fisherman with blue scales please..." 

There are certain tools, like the scales, that should be more readily replaceable with snap fit (like the magnifying lens)  If you felt like changing them out, you could also choose 8x or 5x power as well.  (Also - the pop out lens version was a horrible idea) What would be really nice is a lens with even more power for use as a fire starter, and plus scale model with a small ferro-rod instead of the pen.   
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 06:27:46 AM
Some good comments and ideas CraftsmanSAK.  :iagree:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 07:06:37 AM
One nice touch they could incorporate is the scale protector that you peel off that they use on the evo models, be cool if this was standard.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 10:11:04 PM
I would like to see some SA's with scales made of carbon fiber, or G10.  Maybe, replaceable jaws on their multi's would be a good idea too!  Just my two-cents. :P
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 10:23:20 PM
Good suggestions Blackbeard and eTripper.  :tu:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 10:38:11 PM
Despite the claims of manufacturer Albis Plastics, I feel the cellulose-acetate based Cellidor is way out of date for a scale material. By the 1960s, American cutlery firms moved from cellulose acetate based synthetic scales (which can, quite easily shrink, warp, and crack) to the far more hardy Delrin (which was actually developed with use as a knife handle in mind). And many others use Zytel.  But, according to the manufacturer, Cellidor is plant-based, and thus "green" and "sustainable". Maybe that's why Vic is sticking with it, even though better synthetic scale materials were developed more than 50 years ago. The impact resistance isn't great (I'm always dealing with chipped scales on SAKs I use a lot), and not to resistant to gasoline and other chemicals. Yet, I have never seen a knife with broken Delrin scales; but dozens of SAKs with Cellidor.

Nylon scales are far hardier, grip better, and seeing as they're mostly used on budget models, apparently cheaper to produce. But we only see them on budget models, StayGlow, and most 111mm.

As for replaceable cutters--don't see the point. The SwissTool has one of the hardiest MT plier heads, and replaceable cutters would lessen that.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 10:51:54 PM
Yes, the Cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB) topic is certainly near the top of the list!  :iagree:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #41 on: May 17, 2019, 12:11:34 AM
Cellidor has its downsides, I agree. Nylon scales are certainly more robust in all ways, but Vic doesn't make plus ones.

Solid cellidor scales do break, yet are much stronger than hollow ones. My venerable Swisschamp with solid scales arrived with the exposed liners at the can opener end bent to heck from what must have been a very nasty drop. The scale has a large chip at that end and a smaller one at the other end beside the tweezers, on a liner I couldn't straighten. The other scale has a small fracture between the pen and toothpick.

Impressive performance, I feel!  :salute:
IMG_2491 chipped scale 1 smaller.JPG
* IMG_2491 chipped scale 1 smaller.JPG (Filesize: 222.6 KB)
IMG_2492 chipped scale 2 smaller.JPG
* IMG_2492 chipped scale 2 smaller.JPG (Filesize: 210.53 KB)
IMG_2494 cracked scale smaller.JPG
* IMG_2494 cracked scale smaller.JPG (Filesize: 209.67 KB)
Rambler

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #42 on: May 17, 2019, 01:11:58 AM
I agree! The magnifier is fun for about 5 minutes and then you want something far more useful.

Nooooo  :ahhh

I wouldn't mind a SAK which has another tool against the in-line Phillips, as long as they keep selling the ones with the magnifier glass as well.

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #43 on: May 17, 2019, 01:21:19 AM
Bring back the bail on all knives.
Water, water, every where,
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Water, water, every where,
 Nor any drop to drink.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #44 on: May 17, 2019, 01:40:29 AM
Bring back the bail on all knives.

Big fan of them, but then you'd have those who whine because the blade got chipped when it struck the bail. I've had TL-29 type knives since I was old enough to carry a knife (in fact, a Colonial electrician was my second knife), and learned to pay attention.  And then, the scales would not be user replaceable any more. I think they'd do better including them on Alox.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #45 on: May 17, 2019, 02:08:00 AM
My biggest pet peeve with Victorinox is the fact that the Delémont Saks are still so much more expensive compared to their Victorinox  counterparts...

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #46 on: May 17, 2019, 05:38:21 AM
 :nothingtoadd:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #47 on: May 17, 2019, 06:53:25 AM
My biggest pet peeve with Victorinox is the fact that the Delémont Saks are still so much more expensive compared to their Victorinox  counterparts...

This. :iagree:

And if they did Toothpick & Tweezers with wooden scales.

EDIT

And there isn't a Delemont Pocket Tool Chest either

I'm done...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:52:28 AM by Fast Bill »
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline cody6268

Reply #48 on: May 17, 2019, 04:47:08 PM
This. :iagree:

And if they did Toothpick & Tweezers with wooden scales.

EDIT

And there isn't a Delemont Pocket Tool Chest either

I'm done...

:iagree:  By far the most popular Wenger here I believe.  And most of Wenger's quirky special tools never carried over. The clip point blade and the flat Phillips (replacing the nail file I never use) were two prominent ones.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #49 on: May 17, 2019, 06:00:56 PM
I don't really have too many pet peeves regarding Victorinox. For the most part, I love their stuff. Just some minor nitpicks from me.

• I do really wish that multiple colors of alox were standard. The silver is absurdly boring. Red and black Farmers and Electricians should always be available.
  • I do wish that Victorinox would do better than the standard 93mm alox keyring. It's in a bit of an uncomfortable spot. I'd love for them to develop a new spot for the keyring, that could be swapped with an optional pocket clip, and put on all 93mm alox models. 
  • Please fix that funky nail nick position on the Pioneer X scissors, please. 
--
'Buzz

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #50 on: May 17, 2019, 06:04:15 PM
I don't really have too many pet peeves regarding Victorinox. For the most part, I love their stuff. Just some minor nitpicks from me.

• I do really wish that multiple colors of alox were standard. The silver is absurdly boring. Red and black Farmers and Electricians should always be available.
  • I do wish that Victorinox would do better than the standard 93mm alox keyring. It's in a bit of an uncomfortable spot. I'd love for them to develop a new spot for the keyring, that could be swapped with an optional pocket clip, and put on all 93mm alox models. 
  • Please fix that funky nail nick position on the Pioneer X scissors, please. 
Agreed with the alox colours and keyring (bring back the bail!).
But the nail nick is like that so that it will work on the 111mm line. Changing that would mean that they have to make yet another distinct scissors part.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline tendollarword

Reply #51 on: May 17, 2019, 06:08:50 PM
A better blade steel would great, even something like 12c27 that shouldn't increase costs much.

I'd also like to see more Alox models in standard production, like the Rambler (or a Cadet with scissors...).

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #52 on: May 17, 2019, 06:57:28 PM
It would be really sweet of Victorinox was to do a limited re-release of old alox patterns each year.
--
'Buzz

fi Offline Gath

Reply #53 on: May 17, 2019, 07:05:32 PM
My biggest pet peeve is the lack of new models in the 91mm line.  They keep discontinuing models, but they haven't added a regular-production new one that's stuck in a long time.

Also, I would love something more useful opposite the inline Phillips, like an 0/00 inline Phillips, perhaps.

Agree with others on cellidor and custom knives.

And bring back the Vagabond! :)

- FiL

But wouldn't the resultant layer just be kind of a discount bit driver layer? BTW it could be less premium priced.

Little nitpick that came to mind, the small blade would be neat if it was a different type as the main. Overall for a Swiss Army Knife there's a serious lack of available blade types in the 91mm line.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #54 on: May 17, 2019, 09:04:26 PM
...especially when you look at the many blade types available with the 111mm range.  :iagree:

Good points all.  :like:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #55 on: May 17, 2019, 11:42:00 PM
Put the keyring on the Classic on the other end of the knife! That way I can use the blade without having to hold a fistful of keys while doing so!  :bnghd:

Offline Northern Munkey

• New User
Reply #56 on: May 17, 2019, 11:48:35 PM
My only peave/wish is an explorer with a saw instead of scissors.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #57 on: May 18, 2019, 04:26:09 AM
Read through the list, so far, and I can agree with pretty much all of them.

My main gripe is that if you want to actually carry one of the limited edition series knives is that the design wears away too easily.  CraftsmanSAK mentioned camo scales... Well carry one around and before long they're simply black scales.

There should be a better way to maintain the design.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: May 18, 2019, 09:07:00 AM
My only peave/wish is an explorer with a saw instead of scissors.
I do agree! I also wish they make an alox version.. But in the mean time it's quite a simple mod to do your self

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: May 18, 2019, 09:13:59 AM
I have read every post here and I do agree with some and disagree with others.

I do wish they made the explorer with saw as standard tool, makes much more sense

More alox tools on alox models, change the keyring nub on the same.

Sell custom versions from the factory, maybe even loose tools and 93mm awl for the 91mm line

I have no problem with the steel on the SAK, or aluminum liner and celidor scales. I love that it's a tool that I can use and abuse, touch up the blade on the back of a coffie mug and just keep going without worrying that I destroy something that worth a lot of money. No shelf queens here but users and if one break beyond repair or gets lost I just get another one.

And I don't want the tip of the drivers to be polished, I want them ruff to get a better grip

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD