Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your SAK pet peeves?

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Re: What are your SAK pet peeves?
Reply #90 on: October 21, 2019, 08:05:20 PM
... people moaning over the same stuff over and over again, where we know the actual reasons (for Vic not to address the problem)  from old threads in this same forum.  :P

Well...
Can you give some  examples of the  threads where some of these "moans" have awnsered by someone at Vic regarding these issues then...?  :pok:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: October 21, 2019, 08:40:13 PM
Well...
Can you give some  examples of the  threads where some of these "moans" have awnsered by someone at Vic regarding these issues then...?  :pok:

Any special reason this exact peeve has to be justified, as opposed to anything else? Also, a reason can actually be factual without coming from Vic. But, OK, I'll bite, here's a simple one: The four layers alox SAK. The discussions around the Pioneer X made the modders conclude a four layer alox SAK would require redesigning the spacers and/or modify the assembly process, since the thickness of the Pioneer X is already just at the limit of what will make the pins bend. (And write me off as a whiner who had the gall to present a peeve in the pet peeves thread if you don't believe me and want to me to search the threads for you, because I won't.)

Edit: Sorry, lost my temper. I will refrain from posting any more in this thread.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 10:19:48 PM by Steinar »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: October 21, 2019, 10:24:40 PM
Any special reason this exact peeve has to be justified, as opposed to anything else? Also, a reason can actually be factual without coming from Vic. But, OK, I'll bite, here's a simple one: The four layers alox SAK. The discussions around the Pioneer X made the modders conclude a four layer alox SAK would require redesigning the layers and/or modify the assembly process, since the thickness of the Pioneer X is already just at the limit of what will make the pins bend. (And write me off as a whiner who had the gall to present a peeve in the pet peeves thread if you don't believe me and want to me to search the threads for you, because I won't.)

Edit: Sorry, lost my temper. I will refrain from posting any more in this thread.

Waw.... Okkkk......

Sorry if you are so touchy about he subject... I was just trying to be humourous, not cynical....
I'll refrain from posting any more in this thread too, have better and more important things to do with my time than get into arguments with anyone over a bleeding pocket knife...  :facepalm:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: October 21, 2019, 10:28:50 PM
Double post, sory

Offline stugumby

Reply #94 on: October 23, 2019, 11:22:50 PM
Victorinox has so many models but they arent modular, my dream sak is an explorer without the magnifying glass but with pliers and the out the front phillips! That and no pocket clip, thoug i did see something where a guy had removed the keyring and used the hole to bolt in a small pocket clip.
And why no 91mm with 2 big blades, one serrated and one regular. I rarely use the saw or file except as a liftee pokee.

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #95 on: October 24, 2019, 10:25:31 AM
I wouldn’t call it a pet peeve, but more of a miniscule suggestion: I’d like the ruler on the fish scaler to be marked with millimetres. Aitor can manage this, so I’m sure Victorinox could! When you’re measuring small things you generally want a certain amount of precision (e.g. I sometimes use the ruler on my Swisstool to measure screws and other small parts).

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #96 on: October 25, 2019, 03:57:42 PM
I wouldn’t call it a pet peeve, but more of a miniscule suggestion: I’d like the ruler on the fish scaler to be marked with millimetres. Aitor can manage this, so I’m sure Victorinox could! When you’re measuring small things you generally want a certain amount of precision (e.g. I sometimes use the ruler on my Swisstool to measure screws and other small parts).

Which is basically all I use MT rulers for, so I can get the right bolt or wrench when needed. WIth small rulers, it's gonna be small stuff, so mm is a good addition. But, to get it right, they'd probably have to laser etch it like on the MiniChamp.  And while we use the English system in the US, I find myself measuring small stuff in millimeters. It's simply just a better system than trying to add up something like 2 13/16 or trying to remember what fractional my ruler is marked in (I have one that's marked in eighths, tenths, twelfths, and sixteenths--and that can get confusing!)

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #97 on: October 25, 2019, 08:26:43 PM
Which is basically all I use MT rulers for, so I can get the right bolt or wrench when needed. WIth small rulers, it's gonna be small stuff, so mm is a good addition. But, to get it right, they'd probably have to laser etch it like on the MiniChamp.  And while we use the English system in the US, I find myself measuring small stuff in millimeters. It's simply just a better system than trying to add up something like 2 13/16 or trying to remember what fractional my ruler is marked in (I have one that's marked in eighths, tenths, twelfths, and sixteenths--and that can get confusing!)
Yeah, I'm glad the UK has basically gone metric. So much easier for every kind of unit.

Offline knifetert

Reply #98 on: October 27, 2019, 07:55:58 AM
I want my most used tools in as small a package as possible. Mainly a knife, scissors, Philips screwdriver that can reach recessed screws. Ideally a serrated knife, pen and LED flashlight as well. I'd like them to bring back 84mm models with scissors, such as the Salesman or Wenger Teton. The "evolution" series has some, but they have fat scales that negate the size advantage.

Or bring back the Yeoman which is 91mm but has the advantage of the inline Philips. And give it an LED light instead of a magnifier. Or make a Compact with a Philips instead of the corkscrew.

Having 2 plain blades on every knife is a waste of space. If they're going to have 2, one should be serrated.

I would also like textured scales of some kind, for better grip and also so I don't worry about scratching it up. I had a Traveller Lite that had matte red translucent nylon scales I liked. It looked more like a tool and less of a showpiece, but it still looked nice. I had to sell it because it was too valuable, got a Huntsman Lite to replace it.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #99 on: October 27, 2019, 08:47:54 AM
Some good suggestions knifetert.  :like:
The Yeoman remains popular, even as a mod. As are 84mm scissors. You can find aftermarket scales with a rougher texture such as G10, but it would be nice to have some factory options, even if just as scales swaps. Have you tried the wood scaled SAKs? That texture is cool, and wears nicely.  :salute:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: November 09, 2019, 12:04:42 AM
I'd draw a distinction between pet peeves and wishes, and I would say that I can't really think of a pet peeve except perhaps for wasted space - There's no tool on the backspring of the in-line Phillips/magnifier layer. 

I feel like the SAK lineup limitations are part of their charm.  You have to take the good with the bad, and it's sometimes easier when you know the "why"... and sometimes good enough, is all you need.   

Let me explain:

- I'd like it if my Champion, Swiss Champ, and Compact didn't have the MP Hook.  But I find the scissors indispensable.  But you and I both know very well that the backspring tool of the 91mm scissors is ALWAYS the hook.... so I'm ok with having that particular layer.

- When I was a kid, the scale colors were red or black.  To me, it was never about "my favorite color".   I see it as Vic picking colors that were functional "tools" themselves.  My EDC Compact is a classy tuxedo black, while my outdoor Champion is bright red so that I can recover it easily from the forest floor.  Sure, I like orange and blue... but those aren't SAK colors in my mind.

- I wish that the Cadet didn't have a nail file.  But then that low-impact,  little SAK wouldn't be so... domesticated - would it?  But then neither am I, nor is the Vic Soldier that's in my pocket right now. 

- Yes, I'm not scaling fish any time soon.  But I'm glad I can take quick measurements from time to time

- I'm led to believe that 93mm Alox models can't get wider than 4 layers.  Well thanks to Victorinox for keeping my Champion in circulation after all these years. 

For me, a big part of the fun is finding the " best fit" tool at a particular time (usually before I leave the house).  Have I picked the wrong one before?  Yes.  I have cut fruit with the Swiss Champ in my fist despite my having opposable thumbs.  I have had to get back to camp to get tweezers out of my first aid kit while the Solder was in my pocket. 

That said - I would agree that a mm ruler on the fish scaler would be helpful.   I agree that LE/SE models, including some discontinued classics rather than just new colors, would be nice. 

I'm curious to know how everyone has evolved in their EDC SAKs over the course of their lives - if and why they changed the models, whether that's because of a new job, hobbies, realizations, or changes in taste.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 01:44:08 AM by ElevenBlade »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: November 09, 2019, 01:29:27 AM
Well said.  :hatsoff:

I'm curious to know how everyone has evolved in their EDC SAKs over the course of their lives - if and why they chanced the models, whether that's because of a new job, hobbies, realizations, or changes in taste.

One of the best reasons to be around here is to hear about the experiences from other users.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Frailer

Reply #102 on: November 09, 2019, 05:20:20 AM
I'm curious to know how everyone has evolved in their EDC SAKs over the course of their lives - if and why they changed the models, whether that's because of a new job, hobbies, realizations, or changes in taste.

I’ve been a Compact fan for decades, and I still think it’s the ideal SAK for my everyday real-world requirements.

With that said, I find myself carrying a Pioneer more and more often these days. It’s even thinner than the Compact, and the awl is phenomenally useful. It has to be paired with a Classic, as I need scissors, nail file, and toothpick, but the small price of carrying two knives is more than compensated by the not-insignificant increase in utility.

I haven’t committed to making this change permanent, but I’m certainly enjoying the experiment.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #103 on: November 09, 2019, 07:24:17 AM
Inline awl is a great tool. Unfortunate that it’s not included as an alternative for the small blade on some 91mm SAKs. I did a mod some months ago and it’s my regular EDC when not doing a challenge. Just difficult finding Pioneer donors as people tend to look after them.  :think:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #104 on: November 09, 2019, 10:36:00 AM
Plus one for the in line awl. I've modded all but one of my 91mm to include it - so useful.  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: November 09, 2019, 02:22:28 PM
I’ve been a Compact fan for decades, and I still think it’s the ideal SAK for my everyday real-world requirements.

With that said, I find myself carrying a Pioneer more and more often these days. It’s even thinner than the Compact, and the awl is phenomenally useful. It has to be paired with a Classic, as I need scissors, nail file, and toothpick, but the small price of carrying two knives is more than compensated by the not-insignificant increase in utility.

I haven’t committed to making this change permanent, but I’m certainly enjoying the experiment.

Same here.  I carried a Compact for years until I discovered the Pioneer and the Cadet and fell in love with the thinness and metallic lusciousness of Alox.  I missed the toothpick and scissors, so now I carry my toothpick separately and I modded a Cadet to include scissors.  The Super Cadet experiment led me to think that a Pioneer X would be ideal, but alas they are too heavy for my officey work attire.  So it's modded super Cadet during the week and a Pioneer or Farmer on weekends.   

And if we're being honest, I carry a Yeoman in my bag o' stuff that I schlep around with me everyday too.  :)

Myron

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: November 09, 2019, 04:57:30 PM

I'd been carrying a Classic on my keys for a while before I removed it for airline travel.  Since then I've intermittently carried a classic again, or a Leatherman Micra.  If im honest I use it for the scissors, and the Micra is more robust in that regard. 

Does that make me a bad person? 

I'm planning on getting another classic this week.  You guys made me do it!
I've been lurking on this forum for a long time - joined a few days ago.  suddenly I think I'm going to have a major problem in the rabbit hole...

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #107 on: November 09, 2019, 09:30:50 PM
I'd been carrying a Classic on my keys for a while before I removed it for airline travel.  Since then I've intermittently carried a classic again, or a Leatherman Micra.  If im honest I use it for the scissors, and the Micra is more robust in that regard. 

Does that make me a bad person? 

I'm planning on getting another classic this week.  You guys made me do it!
I've been lurking on this forum for a long time - joined a few days ago.  suddenly I think I'm going to have a major problem in the rabbit hole...
If you hadn't redeemed yourself by getting another Classic I'd be saying "Be off to the Leatherman room, scoundrel! :twak::D

BTW, welcome to this wonderful place of opinions, sharing, knowledge - and enabling :P
Rambler

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: November 10, 2019, 06:29:53 AM

My first SAK was a Spartan, which I carried and used for probably 8-10 years.  Then, I began to wonder if there might be an even better SAK out there for me (and, because I was working full-time, I had the funds to pursue this experiment).  This question led me to what was then SOSAK, and I really got into SAKs and MTs.  After buying and trying many different models, my EDC SAK situation seems to have stabilized not too far from where it started.  These days, a Climber is my most carried SAK, followed by other close relatives such as the Huntsman and Mountaineer.  I find that I really do use and appreciate the scissors, still prefer the corkscrew to the backspring Phillips, and strongly prefer the opener layer and small blade over the combo tool.  I've been carrying SAKs for over 20 years now, and pretty much any 2-4 layer 91mm SAK feels as comfortable, smooth, and natural as if it were an extension of my hand.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: November 10, 2019, 02:40:53 PM
My first SAK was a Spartan, which I carried and used for probably 8-10 years.  Then, I began to wonder if there might be an even better SAK out there for me (and, because I was working full-time, I had the funds to pursue this experiment).  This question led me to what was then SOSAK, and I really got into SAKs and MTs.  After buying and trying many different models, my EDC SAK situation seems to have stabilized not too far from where it started.  These days, a Climber is my most carried SAK, followed by other close relatives such as the Huntsman and Mountaineer.  I find that I really do use and appreciate the scissors, still prefer the corkscrew to the backspring Phillips, and strongly prefer the opener layer and small blade over the combo tool.  I've been carrying SAKs for over 20 years now, and pretty much any 2-4 layer 91mm SAK feels as comfortable, smooth, and natural as if it were an extension of my hand.

Funny you mention that - I'm a Compact/Soldier/PioneerX kinda guy myself.  When I have a small blade (which these days is at only home or in the woods) it's my most used tool. 

Along with a new Classic, a Huntsman is on my shopping list.   :ahhh

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: November 11, 2019, 04:16:28 AM
Funny you mention that - I'm a Compact/Soldier/PioneerX kinda guy myself.  When I have a small blade (which these days is at only home or in the woods) it's my most used tool. 

Yea, I really like having at least two blades.  On the 91mm knives, the large blade ends up pulling general duty while the small blade is kept clean and very sharp for tasks like cutting cigars and removing splinters.  When I carry a 93mm knife (less often), the awl gets used as a beater blade for opening packages and such, and I try to save the main blade as much as possible.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: November 25, 2019, 01:12:20 AM

Update - The Huntsman has arrived. 

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #112 on: November 25, 2019, 01:22:36 AM
 :like: Now we just need some pictures of it!  :pok:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: December 16, 2019, 06:10:07 PM
My current pet peeve is not having the possibility of a small blade instead of the awl on a Pioneer. I think it has far more uses with this configuration. An awl isn't used all that much whereas the small blade is pretty much my most used tool currently.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: December 16, 2019, 08:20:04 PM
My current pet peeve is not having the possibility of a small blade instead of the awl on a Pioneer. I think it has far more uses with this configuration. An awl isn't used all that much whereas the small blade is pretty much my most used tool currently.

Pruner blade. Problem solved.  ;)

But I do think you're right, even if it's not a pet peeve to me. That is one reason I don't grab the alox models often. And some of the ones I do grab have the pruner blade.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: December 17, 2019, 06:04:25 AM

With a pointy tip and a sharp, chisel-ground edge running essentially its entire length, the 93mm awl actually makes a great small blade, IMO, provided you don't need super-precise cuts.  Cutting tape, cutting zip ties, and opening plastic bags/packages are all tasks at which the 93mm awl excels.

When I carry 93mm, I generally think of the awl first for general cutting, and try to keep the knife blade clean and sharp for food, cigars, etc.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: December 17, 2019, 03:36:55 PM
Pruner blade. Problem solved.  ;)

But I do think you're right, even if it's not a pet peeve to me. That is one reason I don't grab the alox models often. And some of the ones I do grab have the pruner blade.

The Rancher is very much on my 'to try' list for that precise reason. :) I'm on the look out for an affordable coloured version.  :cheers: I love the pruner blade but it's still considerably limited in comparison to the small blade.The electrician is also a contender but I wish they didn't have that huge wire stripper, it's a lot of blade going to waste.

With a pointy tip and a sharp, chisel-ground edge running essentially its entire length, the 93mm awl actually makes a great small blade, IMO, provided you don't need super-precise cuts.  Cutting tape, cutting zip ties, and opening plastic bags/packages are all tasks at which the 93mm awl excels.

When I carry 93mm, I generally think of the awl first for general cutting, and try to keep the knife blade clean and sharp for food, cigars, etc.

Fair enough, not for me though. I do use the small blade for precise cutting and stuff that requires being able to cut into material not just slice it open.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 03:43:01 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: December 17, 2019, 03:59:54 PM
Incidentally I found a red Rancher, you can get them here in two shades of red. Price is very reasonable also, people are selling these on ebay for $88!

https://www.brw.ch/en/assembly-knife-victorinox-457730

Very tempted, I have a brother in law living in Zurich...  :whistle:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: December 17, 2019, 04:55:17 PM
Incidentally I found a red Rancher, you can get them here in two shades of red. Price is very reasonable also, people are selling these on ebay for $88!

https://www.brw.ch/en/assembly-knife-victorinox-457730

Very tempted, I have a brother in law living in Zurich...  :whistle:

I like that darker shade of red - I could use a Pioneer or Cadet in that color.   :dd:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: December 12, 2020, 06:40:10 PM
Pet Peeve - seeing SAKs and ther slip joints displayed for auction online with the tools halfway open and the backspring bent out on both sides.   :ahhh :dwts: :sa: :poh:

I was just looking at a single layer SAK and the backspring is peeking out on both ends... more that I normally notice with regular use.   Cringe...   :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%