Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Warranty disappointment

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Warranty disappointment
on: May 22, 2019, 04:39:08 PM
I don't think you guys can offer any solution or whatever, just wanted to share, so here it goes.

Recently I bought a PST from Metro's shop cleaning sale, and as he couldn't find one in good condition, he sent me two with different damaged tools, so that I can assemble one servicable PST from the two. That's all fine and dandy, I did just that and the "good" PST came out nice, but I was left with one PST with several damaged tools (pliers, knife blade, micro driver), so I thought, maybe I should try and get it repaired by LM.

I called the local LM dealer, told the representative that I have a PST in bad condition and asked if they could send it to Portland. He told me, that they can do that, but 1) they charge a shipping fee now (about $27) and 2) there's no repair, they will definitely replace it with a Rebar. The guy tried to convince me that hey, I'll get a X Forint tool in exchange ($100 - yeah, that's what they ask for a Rebar here!), but I told him that I already have a Rebar and I'm not looking to gain anything here, don't need a new tool and I'm not planning to sell or anythng, I just wanted to fix and preserve a nice old tool. (Also, with the fee it's more like a nice discount, and not getting a free tool, but anyway. I mean I'm not complaining, just his reasoning was a bit flawed.) So in the end I just had to say thanks but no thanks.

Actually, the only question is does LM repair PST's (for US cutomers), or was the guy right and there's no chance to get anything but a Rebar in the end? If PST repair is a no go from anywhere, at least I won't be as disapointed.

The end. :) 

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Warranty disappointment
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 04:53:09 PM
You could try contacting Leatherman directly and ask if they have parts to repair a sentimental PST. We have to pay for shipping to Leatherman here in the states.

Or you could look this this way you now have some spare parts to use as backups or for modifications   :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 05:15:48 PM
I've contacted LM about a blade for my Flair and was told they don't have any blades for that platform anymore.

Not sure why it is disappointing to get a Rebar($100 value where you're at) for a $20 broken parts PST. :dunno:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 05:22:47 PM
I've contacted LM about a blade for my Flair and was told they don't have any blades for that platform anymore.

Not sure why it is disappointing to get a Rebar($100 value where you're at) for a $20 broken parts PST. :dunno:

Simply because I don't need another Rebar, and for me it feels a bit unfair to get a brand new tool in exchange for "scrap". Not saying it's wrong, what's more, LM almost encourages this, so it's just me. And of course this wasn't the disappointing part, the disappointment is in the fact I can't get the PST repaired. :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 05:26:46 PM
I don't think they are fixing old tools  :dunno:.  I have 2 PSTs that I havent sent in cause I don't want new tools in exchange.  I already sent in a PST and got a Sidekick  :twak:.  I'd hoped they would have fixed the tool. 

Not sure what to say but I understand. 
Esse Quam Videri

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 05:30:36 PM
You could try contacting Leatherman directly and ask if they have parts to repair a sentimental PST. We have to pay for shipping to Leatherman here in the states.

Or you could look this this way you now have some spare parts to use as backups or for modifications   :tu:

The first time I contacted LM directly, the lady was very adamant that from here the tool has to go through the local LM dealer, I shouldn't/can't send it to Portland directly. I mean obviously I could chance it and send it anyway, but this PST thing is not that important, it was just an idea.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 08:55:24 AM
Probably a member here that would trade you a pst for a rebar, worth a try

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 09:30:06 AM
Even if you do not want the Rebar, it is more than a fair deal, in my opinion. You can get two PSTs on ebay for what a new Rebar costs. Or just trade the Rebar for a PST or something. Or give the Rebar as a gift to someone.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 09:45:52 AM
Even if you do not want the Rebar, it is more than a fair deal, in my opinion. You can get two PSTs on ebay for what a new Rebar costs. Or just trade the Rebar for a PST or something. Or give the Rebar as a gift to someone.

Probably a member here that would trade you a pst for a rebar, worth a try

You guys really want me to get a Rebar, don't you?  :) And I have to say this trade idea is definitely something to consider, although maybe not for a second PST, but a PST II, which I still don't own yet. (On the other hand, for the combined cost of the aforementioned warranty shipping fee plus the shipping cost of the potential trade perhaps I could simply just buy a PST II. Decisions, decisions... :D)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 01:08:21 PM
Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with myself, asking them to repair it or replace it with anything. It's not a tool that broke in use and needs fixing. It's a tool build of discarded scrap parts. I would feel dishonest sending that in.

I know others would take a different stance, but for what it's worth, that's mine, and I won't be convinced otherwise. I don't even agree with sending in a tool that was bought in a damaged condition, never mind built from scrap.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ro Offline buzabogdan

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 02:26:16 PM
Guys do not know how to comment here...  in my country, local LM dealer does not accept any LM tool if you do not have the original receipt, they do not care what tool do you have and from where...

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 06:55:13 PM
Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with myself, asking them to repair it or replace it with anything. It's not a tool that broke in use and needs fixing. It's a tool build of discarded scrap parts. I would feel dishonest sending that in.

I know others would take a different stance, but for what it's worth, that's mine, and I won't be convinced otherwise. I don't even agree with sending in a tool that was bought in a damaged condition, never mind built from scrap.

:iagree:

I've heard stories of people buying broken Leatherman tools at flea markets only to get them replaced with new tools thanks to Leathermans' great warranty. And this is not right in my opinion.

So I think by replacing it with a Rebar, Leatherman already went above and beyond.

But apart from that, I do think Leatherman should be able to repair a PST, maybe they don't have the original PST parts in stock anymore, but they should find a way to use the "limited edition" PST parts to fix an old PST.

Apparently Victorinox will even create new "old style" wooden scales from scratch for the old Soldier knives.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 11:01:25 PM
I have mixed feelings.  ON one hand buying a broken tool to take advantage of LMs warranty is not something I'd do.  ON the other hand I do know that some people are unaware of LMs terrific warranty.  They just buy another tool.  I met a guy at the fleamarket who was excited to show me his LM and upon examination I see a broken knife.  I asked him if he used it to pry something?  He said he was cutting a dowel in half lengthwise and when it got stuck he twisted it.  He never sent it in and used the serrated blade.  I told him about the warranty but he insisted the serrated blade was fine. 

I personally would not take ADVANTAGE but I've sent tools in for friends who either didn't know about the warranty or didn't want to trouble themselves. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD